Weird/ Out of place coasters

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

6fg0003i9g9hg4seb589ek.jpg.d937360053f5ff2fce5b0ac0fbe3efb3.jpg

Taken from RCDB.

Im surprised no one has said anything about Gauntlet at Magic Springs. The path to get to the ride is kind of hard to find and is down at the bottom of a hill, in a field, and hidden by a bunch of trees. It also sort of bothered me that it only ran one train with the second no where to be found. I guess thats what happens when your accustomed to operating an SLC with two trains.

Just want to comment on a few I've seen on this page.

Gauntlet: For what's a surprisingly pretty park, they chose an insultingly ugly color scheme. And I do remember it being confusing to get there. Arkansas Twister is worse, clearly seeming to be a relic from an earlier era of the park. It's isolated from the other dry rides and I had to walk through the water park to get there.

Desperado: I used to think it was pretty well-visited among enthusiasts, and maybe it is, but I haven't heard much about it in a long time. I guess it doesn't help that it doesn't draw as many repeat visits as a more substantial park.

Steel Hawg: I remember it being awkwardly (and perhaps poorly) placed far from the other rides.

Concerning rides like Gauntlet and Steel Hawg that are kind of "out there" from the rest of the park - I would argue that you'd put a coaster there to get guests walking to that area, and then start filling in the empty space with rides and other attractions as the years go on. It makes the park look bigger when big attractions are spread out.

Cyclone at William's grove gets my vote, I've never been there but from the photo it's the oddest coaster I've ever seen !

(Both photos from RCDB)

Also, I don't think it's odd, but funny, that Cornball express at Indianna Beach is built over water with some sorts of floaters for the supports .

Oakwood's Hydro, (whilst not a coaster) is positioned very strangely. It also looks totally wrong being at a park as small as Oakwood is.

The position the Ultimate is quite normal except for it's layout that goes a very very long way from it's starting point.

I would also say that The Dragon, Mine Train and Hair Raiser look a little out of place at Ocean Park but they really did not have anywhere else to put them! I'm glad they didn't try to fit Hair Raiser in with the landscape and instead painted it bright yellow as I think it would look absolutely dreadful if they did a poor job at making it fit. How it is now is just right in my opinion.

both coasters at idlewild

Wild Mouse is the only mouse coaster made by vekoma, and it has a tilted lift hill!

Rollo Coaster, a classic PTC wooden coaster. don't think that's weird? well get this, THERE'S NO RESTRAINTS!

and don't forget Phantom's Revenge at KW, a Morgan hyper that wouldn't be a hyper if it weren't for the 228 ft drop into a ravine!

then there's pretty much every "Secret Weapon" at Alton Towers

Nemesis-Europe's first inverted coaster, and it's built into a pit to get around the height limit

Oblivion-World's first dive coaster, and it's 60 ft tall but drops 180 ft into a tunnel

Air-World's first flying coaster, its weird because flying coasters are weird

TH13TEEN-World's first freefall drop coaster, weird because of the freefall drop

Smiler-World's first 14 inversion coaster, i think it has little mechanisms in the trains that play with you mind while riding, but i might be wrong

P.S, this park advertised it as the biggest indoor coaster in the world.

RCDB link please? I'd love to see how it compares with Canada's Mindbender and Orlando's Rockin Roller Coaster.

^If it is at Amazing World it is only about 1,800 feet. I think that is why Yin is questioning how the park advertised the coaster.

Of course, it doesn't come close to Mindbender.

Edited by larrygator

This one.

P.S, this park advertised it as the biggest indoor coaster in the world.

Looks very much like Amazing World and it's nowhere near as big as other indoor coasters. Maybe in that part of the country but not the world.

Other out of the way coasters are:

Blizzard at Shan GriLa Paradise and Dragon Coaster at Atayal Resort.

Blizzard is right at the far side of the park at the bottom of the hill. You walk through several covered areas, through some narrow paths under the trees, down a ton of steps, by a huge garden, around an arena, and down a long gentle slope until you reach it! Nowhere near worth it!

Dragon Coaster it's more the location of the park that is odd. A lot of windy mountain driving to find this very small out of the way park that contains this ride.

Batwing at SFA seems out of place. There's just a pathway extending from Superman: Ride of Steel to Batwing and I find that awkward.

The whole park is awkward. Notice how it's one of the only (if not THE only) Six Flags park you can't view with Google StreetView.

Forgive me for asking, but why is that weird? Aren't there lots of parks that can't be viewed with Street View?

While their locations seem to be decent in terms of appearance, Darien Lake's Mind Eraser and Ride of Steel really do not seem well integrated into the flow of the park. Both are down dead end paths of decent length. Even worse is how Ride of Steel's area seems to be an intended park expansion area that never really happened with the exception of Ride of Steel. I wouldn't be so upset about the dead ends if there wasn't just one attraction down each path.

Flight of Fear and Firehawk at KI also seem out of place when you are in that area of the park. You feel like you stepped out of KI for a little bit when walking under Racer over to them.

Would I be in a minority if I said West Coaster at Pacific Park seemed weird and out of place?

I know seaside/boardwalk/pier coasters are a traditional thing in coasterdom, but if you take a moment to look at its surroundings, doesn't it seem weird that amongst all the SoCal beachy areas there's this tiny little park with the tiny kids coaster? Maybe I'm too used to giant parks, but I've always thought it odd that it's there, and that many full grown adults shy away from it like it was some 500ft. high death machine.

Concerning rides like Gauntlet and Steel Hawg that are kind of "out there" from the rest of the park - I would argue that you'd put a coaster there to get guests walking to that area, and then start filling in the empty space with rides and other attractions as the years go on. It makes the park look bigger when big attractions are spread out.

While that definitely seems like a good idea (heck, it worked well in Roller Coaster Tycoon), it seems like either this wasn't the plan these parks had in mind, or maybe those plans just never came through.

Batwing at SFA seems out of place. There's just a pathway extending from Superman: Ride of Steel to Batwing and I find that awkward.

The whole park is awkward. Notice how it's one of the only (if not THE only) Six Flags park you can't view with Google StreetView.

That doesn't mean anything. They're bound to get round to it sometime, they're just adding the parks at different times. SFOT hasn't been added onto streetview either, and some parks such as SFOG, for example, were only added this year.