TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Why all the screaming, Robb?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All I know is that at the first Kings Dominion ECB, we brought along a friend who had, to psych herself up for riding Intimidator that day, YouTube'd the ride. Turns out the one she watched was Robb's, and when I told her that's the guy who set the whole day up she freaked out because she was in the presence of "the TWISTYYY guy."

Like 'em or hate 'em, people keep watching!

This summer I learned that Robb loves when the person next to him on I305 yells TWISTEEEEEEE throughout the twisty section.

^^And Shut Up Googles!

I actually find it useful. I noticed that Robb goes "weeeeee" on moderately fun parts of a ride, says nothing or makes a sarcastic remark at boring sections, and goes all out during the intense parts. That way I can get a good general gauge of how good the ride actually is (and thus where to place my expectations so I don't get let down) before going on it.

I love the Japanese video (can't remember the coaster now), with the really slow lift hill, which is actually a very fast, very tall lift hill with a lot of perspective going on!

I can completely agree with Robb. Do I always love every little thing about TPR videos? For the most part, yeah, I can watch them all day! I also make youtube videos, and if someone wants to give me constructive criticism than I'll be fine with that. If all they do is bash the way I make my videos, than I can ignore them. Because I love video editing, and the entire process of putting my videos together, a people generally enjoy them. So for one person to not like the way that I do something, well, it really just wouldn't matter to me.

ps. And not sure if you've ever read the internet before, but other sites would have been FAR MORE abrasive back to you. Have you ever read sites like Reddit, 4Chan, or even most YouTube comments? Those sites make me weep for the future of humanity when you read the responses.

Amen (or Ramen, for FSM followers).

It's been said that if a million monkeys type on a million typewriters eventually they would produce the works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the internet we now know this is not true.

(I try not to read youtube comments.)

I actually find it useful. I noticed that Robb goes "weeeeee" on moderately fun parts of a ride, says nothing or makes a sarcastic remark at boring sections, and goes all out during the intense parts. That way I can get a good general gauge of how good the ride actually is (and thus where to place my expectations so I don't get let down) before going on it.

You're not the only person who has told me this! Like I said, my noises and shouts are my "natural" reactions to rides. I'm not doing it "for the camera" or anything. I do it even when there are no cameras on the ride! I guess you can say my "wheeee!" is almost like a human accelerometer! I normally do it when there is airtime, or at least something that takes me by surprise.

Not only that, but I think I learn more about a coaster from the "OW! OW! Jesus Christ! Oh s***..oh s***..what the f**k was that?! OW! WHY DID WE DO THIS!??!"

I, for one, think Robb's screams and whees make the video. Whenever I see a new TPR video I look forward to hearing him have fun. How boring would it be if everyone on a coaster train was completely silent? It would be very boring and it just doesn't happen. People scream and make noises because they're having fun, which is the point of coasters! Keep putting out more videos, Robb. We grateful people love them.

Hi! I just read this whole thread and brought my stick for dead horse beating...

And since this is a Forum on the Internet I would like to express my opinions as well. Here goes...

I don't see where Vikings22 was at all being "abrasive", as you said.

Could you point out where, exactly, Vikings22 stepped out of line?

Is it just me or did Vikings22 thread title not sound "attacking"? And the silly sounding subtitle of "shhhhhh" also was that not some what attacking? It's no wonder it was construed that Robb was being overly defensive. If you start a thread with a title like that, do you not expect him to be on the defensive? This site and all of it's content are his so why wouldn't he defend it. People tend to be passionate and defensive about the things they really love. If you insult Kidtums or Elissa, do you expect him to just go "Oh well"? This site and all of it's content are the same. He puts waaaaaay to much time and effort into it to NOT be defensive.

Long time lurker...

Then you should know by know that Robb is the kind of guy who tells it like it is. I am also a loooooong time lurker who posts once in a blue moon and I admit that when I first started reading this site, Robb came off as a little rough but over time you realize that is the way he is. And I applaud and respect him for it. I have never met him in real life but I am sure there are many folks here who can tell you that is in fact how he is in real life too. He is a very successful person because of what he does and how he is as a person. I am not looking for kudos here, just stating the facts.

With that said, I too will defend his videos. The video is suburb (so much so that companies actually use them in their promotional info..see IAAPA) and the audio is genuine. The audio makes it real for me. Yes occasionally a curse word may come out but that's real life. I say great job and PLEASE keep doing it the way you are Robb!

The bottom line to this whole thread is that Vikinks22 could have offered his criticism is a manner that was not as attacking but was still effective. Criticism can be helpful, but only when offered up in a way that is not attacking. This whole 14 pages of responsive could have been trimmed down to just a couple replies if presented in the right way. The moral, think not only about what you say, but how you say it.

I guess you can say my "wheeee!" is almost like a human accelerometer!

My roommate at college know I'm watching TPR videos when they hear the "wheee." The best part is he thinks Robb's commentary hilarious and will usually end up watching the video with me. Like others have said, the audio and commentary are what set TPR videos apart from the rest. Not everyone will like it, but that's okay. Robb made a very poignant comment about making the videos for himself first. If he doesn't enjoy it, what's the point? It is HIS content, after all. But since he does, we have a crap ton of coaster videos available to us.

While we're on the topic of commentary, here's one of my favorites:

Sorry about being a little bit late on this but I feel like I need to say something.

I find it hilarious that some people only have about 5 posts, and they think they run the show. It is hilarious to me. They don't know the site that well and they think that they can do what they want, when they want. I'm not going to say names, but they don't even have the courtesy to appreciate all Robb has done for this site. He puts in hours a day, every week into this site. People should start to respect that. That is all.

^

It's like they are professional shhhhers. Went to ssshhhhh school

I personally like how crazy and unique TPR videos are. They're just a bunch of people having fun which is what this hobby is all about! I think of them more as video blogs as they have heart and personal feeling rather than something being produced for commercial sales.

Don't stop having fun!

-- James

Robb, don't you dare change a thing about your videos. All your expressions when filming a POV are exactly what make your stuff more fun than all of the other coaster videos out there. Some people just want to see the coaster, I want to hear the actual people having fun on it.

Ever watch some of those older coaster videos on VHS? A lot of them have recorded screams that are looped over and over on every POV.

I don't always agree with what he is screaming but defend his right to scream it. On videos he makes, anyway.

I didn't find that one funny except in its absurdity. Having actually ridden that ride (2007), I find it more perplexing than anything else. Everyone else on the coaster sounded like they enjoyed themselves as well.

Having ridden Manhattan Express in 2003, BEFORE I saw this video, I can attest that this is how my family and I felt riding this. Once I saw this video a couple years later, I even showed it to my parents who found it absolutely hilarious because of the "truthfulness" of Robb's emotions and feelings on that ride. It was miserable (and KI is my home park, so I've had my fair share of rides on SOB!). Maybe it has improved since, but I doubt it. I was even back in Vegas again this past year and didn't even consider heading toward the ride.

I had heard about the ride so I chose an "easy" seat (row 5?) and rode defensively, but still compared to say, Anaconda ... also I went at night, and that thing is fugly enough then, shocking compared to expectations. I can see not really wanting to like it, being one OK drop and a slow "stunt" area. Also I thought it ended indoors, later?

TOGO was a weird company, you can see they were trying, but I don't think they analyzed stresses as much as overbuilt, and the way they consistently put your body to the same limit over and over, clearly that was the design concept.

There's a Togo ride at Hamanko Pal Pal in Japan that I understand is pretty much the same ride at Mahnattan Express--only much more enjoyable (I have ridden this one). So, go figure.