TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Why all the screaming, Robb?

A TPR POV without Robb commentary? I don't want to live in that world. I sometimes feel weird when I watch the rare videos where Robb isn't providing commentary. It feels, unnatural. Plus, the "weeee!" and "Loop-ty Loop!" type of commentary kind of defines the culture of TPR. Don't you go changin' Mr. Alvey (though I was never worried this topic would cause you to).

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I've never understood about TPR is the apparent dog-pile effect. This thread is a perfect example. Original poster makes a comment, Robb responds, issue [should be] resolved. But then 20 people feel the need to jump in and make the OP feel as isolated and hated as possible. Robb is a grown man--he can obviously resolve his own problems and he's not blowing anyone who tries to put others down.

Didn't your mommy ever tell you, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all?" Of course none of us ever listen to our mothers...but that doesn't mean we shouldn't.

^ In fairness it could have ended several pages ago. But they keep coming back. And as someone who ran their own website (albeit for a video game) I can understand Robb's frustration with posts like these.

You do have a point though, it does seem to happen quite frequently.

What I've never understood about TPR is the apparent dog-pile effect. This thread is a perfect example. Original poster makes a comment, Robb responds, issue [should be] resolved. But then 20 people feel the need to jump in...

...so I guess your post is #21?

#kthxbye

Didn't your mommy ever tell you, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all?" Of course none of us ever listen to our mothers...but that doesn't mean we shouldn't.

But this doesn't apply to the person who started this thread, eh? Think first before spouting quaint homilies.

^^ I don't think it is a pile on effect, folks just want to express their opinion. That is the nature of internet forums...right?

Exactly.

Edited by cfc

Yes, it's definitely a pile-on -- or, in the least, a "I will make a wordy post that hopefully Robb will quote and give me kudos on"!

I don't see much of an issue with the original post. Well, specifically, the part about the occasional swear word making it a non-viewing option when kids are around. I don't care too much for the screaming/ironic screaming/sarcastic information-dropping, either, but I get that it's part of the flavor of this place. Obviously enough people enjoy it that Robb is able to literally make a living off the website, so it's not hurting the bottom line.

Back to the "occasional" swearing, while it may be one for every 100 minutes of footage, the mere fact that it exists makes it so it's not worth it to some(?) to "risk it". I know the world, and the Internet, is a nasty place and if some guy screaming SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT on a rollercoaster is the worst you run into-you're-doing-ok, but something as seemingly vanilla of wanting to watch some world class footage of rides you'll most likely never ride resulting in you/your kids hearing vulgarity is a valid observation and concern.

I thought Robb's response was a lot more calm and calculated that I'd have predicted (from what I've seen posted here before). but the ensuing "me too" pile-on sort of muddied the waters. Sure you could just "look elsewhere" or "mute it, dummy", but if these truly are the best videos around ... why would their creator want you to? He surely doesn't want you muting one of your senses to do so, so I'd assume that (at least) the part about possibly watching the potty language might have struck a chord. I think it's silly to expect a silent ride, as screams are about as crucial as the roar of the track or the clanking of the chain, but it does seem reasonable to not want to hear any cursing. (And yes, I know, if you were actually on the ride you're probably likely to hear much worse, it's just the point that the main audio we hear here is in the control of one guy. One guy who obviously relies on people viewing/paying/clicking through to keep his site/job going!)

^You realize that you would be "piling-on" as well right? Just because people do not agree with the OP doesn't mean they are "dog-piling" him.

And I think that the OP asked for this "dog-pile" effect when he used the term "most people." When you ignorantly generalize your opinion as the opinions of everyone you are asking for trouble.

What I've never understood about TPR is the apparent dog-pile effect.

Huh? Nobody is "dog piling" or anything of the sort. People are discussing their opinions on the original subject at hand. Are you accusing everyone that is commenting about Gatekeeper dog piling too because they are all discussing the same thing? TPR's videos are a HUGE part of this site. Why are people not allowed to discuss them? Your post makes no sense.

Didn't your mommy ever tell you, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all?"

Maybe yours should have told you "think before you post."

Yes, it's definitely a pile-on -- or, in the least, a "I will make a wordy post that hopefully Robb will quote and give me kudos on"!

Kudos... except not.

Edited by robbalvey

Where is the "+1" button when you need it?

This:

What I've never understood about TPR is the apparent dog-pile effect. This thread is a perfect example. Original poster makes a comment, Robb responds, issue [should be] resolved. But then 20 people feel the need to jump in and make the OP feel as isolated and hated as possible. Robb is a grown man--he can obviously resolve his own problems and he's not blowing anyone who tries to put others down.

When I go to visit my 3 little cousins (aged 10 and under) we spend enough time watching youtube videos (especially coaster ones) and lots of scary movies. There is always going to be swearing and adults acting-out in one form or another. I do my best to explain to them that some words are adult words and some "other" words we shouldn't use because they are sometimes used to hurt people. They are young and impressionable - at the same time, they hear stuff all day long at school. I do my best to impress on them that talking kindly and politely to people is actually cool. Sarcasm and polarizing statements is the norm... and is not humor to everyone. It's funny and OK on South Park, but not in real life.

I'm in-tune with what DBru said. The whole dog-pile/gang-up/bully/bash/kool-aid effect here - or the internet in general is incredibly baffling, backwards and annoying.

It takes a great deal of humility to take constructive criticism. Unfortunately humility is not something that is encouraged in our society (especially online).

"Virtual group hug."

The whole dog-pile/gang-up/bully/bash/kool-aid effect here - or the internet in general is incredibly baffling, backwards and annoying.

Maybe you shouldn't be posting to the Internet then. I said this many pages back, but if you really think that this is an issue on TPR, then turn off your computer RIGHT NOW. The Internet is not for you.

Edited by robbalvey

The whole dog-pile/gang-up/bully/bash/kool-aid effect here - or the internet in general is incredibly baffling, backwards and annoying.

Maybe you shouldn't be posting to the Internet then. I said this many pages back, but if you really think that this is an issue on TPR, then turn off your computer RIGHT NOW. The Internet is not for you.

Nahh.... I can handle it. It's ok - I find plenty of people I like and reasons to hang on the internet. One can't LIKE everyone and everything.

This thread got pretty crazy...

To all the people who think this website needs to change because people are too rude etc.. if you want to talk to someone who will agree with your opinions and tell you you're intelligent, talk to your mom, not the internet. You don't own any portion of this website, so either get used to the way its run, or don't visit it ever again. There are lots of coaster websites out there, why would you settle for one that makes you upset?