TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Why all the screaming, Robb?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why does Robb have to talk so loud when on the coasters? And then throw in profanity every now and then? I like to show my kids the videos, but I have to turn off the sound first.

Why do I scream and shout on a roller coaster? Well, two things...

1. It's a roller coaster and I'm having fun.

2. Read below....

Disclaimer!

You need a sense of humor to view our site, if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!

Most of the content is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER! There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."

Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

Edited by robbalvey

The video work on your POV videos are excellent. They don't suffer from the shakiness that most POVs suffer from. You also mix in a lot of off ride footage which is also very nice.

The sound tends to distract from the fantastic visuals. Most people don't care to hear they are going through an Immelmann loop or zero g roll while it is happening. Either they know what it is already or they don't care to know. I don't think anything beyond an introduction to the ride is really necessary.

Most people don't care...

Sorry, but I don't think you speak for "most people".

We have one of the highest viewed YouTube channels for the type of video we make, and as far as I know, our Roller Coasters in the RAW series is the best selling DVDs and Blu-Rays of it's kind on Amazon and iTunes.

We're not going to do anything differently as apparently whatever we are doing, we are doing it "right." Out of over 56 million views on our YouTube channels, we get very few complaints about the audio featured in our videos. So I would say that "most people" don't mind the content we produce.

While I appreciate the feedback, I also realize that we cannot please everyone, no matter what we do, so if you're not a fan of our videos, that's fine, I encourage you to watch someone else's videos... or just turn down the volume. You won't offend us if you don't like our roller coaster POVs.

What I think is most important for you to know is this... I make the TPR videos for *ME* first. I make them how *I* want them, and to capture the fun *I* am having while riding a roller coaster. I then choose to share it with all of *YOU*. (are you following me here?) If I stop making videos for *me*, then I'm going to stop making videos period. Get it?

I personally don't like "boring roller coaster POVs" so a TPR video is going to have people shouting and having fun!

Having said that though, we DO have plenty of videos out there with "raw" audio so perhaps you can just watch those instead? I try really hard to make a balance between the videos of us having fun and those with just train "noise" for those people who prefer one over the other. But the videos I like to make, are the ones of us having a good time.

So in short, when I stop having fun making videos, I'm going to stop making videos all together. So either you like what we produce, or just don't watch them at all. You aren't going to offend me by saying you don't like our videos, because *I* like our videos, and that is what is most important to me. And hopefully there are enough people out there that DO appreciate them, and like what we produce.

--Robb "You are more than welcome to travel around the world and produce your own videos if you don't like ours." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

And just to be clear so you know the difference of what I'm talking about...

Here's a video of what I consider TPR just having "fun" on a roller coaster:

[youtube2]

[/youtube2]

And here's a video of what I consider to be just raw audio:

[youtube2]

[/youtube2]

In short, if you don't find either of these types of videos appealing to you, then honestly, you simply won't like the types of videos we produce, and that's ok.

Garth: Do you ever get the feeling Benjamin's not one of us?

Wayne: Good call. It's like he wants us to be liked by everyone. I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes everybody liked. They left that to the Bee Gees.

Edited by robbalvey

Athough I'm not a loud "screamer" on coasters either, I've never understood why some enthusiasts think that such rides should be treated with total silence and reverence. You're not at church, for Christ's sake.

Athough I'm not a loud "screamer" on coasters either, I've never understood why some enthusiasts think that such rides should be treated with total silence and reverence. You're not at church, for Christ's sake.

LOL! Well said!

I guess my other thought on the matter is - A roller coaster video in total silence is NOT a true representation of a roller coaster. When was the last time you went to any park and saw a roller coaster train full of riders go by in total silence?

You could of just said I make the videos for me first and viewers second. That would have gotten your point across fine.

I'm well aware people view your videos. I never said the audio stopped me from viewing them either. I just find the audio annoying, but the video top notch. I have no issue with hearing screams and laughter in the videos. It's the comments that bother me.

^^^My suggestion would be to simply mute the audio and keep enjoying the videos. The fun of the comments in the videos is what separates TPR from other coaster videos. I agree with what others are saying---it's not for everyone, but I think it adds some personality to what is an otherwise boring thing to watch if you are not a coaster nerd.

You could of just said I make the videos for me first and viewers second. That would have gotten your point across fine.

I'm well aware people view your videos. I never said the audio stopped me from viewing them either. I just find the audio annoying, but the video top notch. I have no issue with hearing screams and laughter in the videos. It's the comments that bother me.

Why are you being so abrasive??? They are MY videos. If you don't like them... Don't watch. Simple. You write to me saying how "most people" don't like the audio in our videos, and I was simply defending my stance on why I think otherwise. If you don't want to hear a response like that, don't come out of the gate with such erroneous accusations. Understood?

I was just giving you a full explanation of why we do what we do. Jesus effing Christ!!!

--Robb "Please don't ever tell me what I should be saying." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

FYI, Robb - I aways thought of you as more BeeGee than LedZep.

No, I totally get it. In fact, I feel most of the time I have catered "too much" to people...

They said they didn't want music during roller coaster videos, so we don't use music any more.

They said they wanted more "RAW" and less "Expedition", so we made more RAW.

They said they wanted complete lift hills, so we now include full lift hills.

They said they didn't want play-by-play commentary, so we don't do that either.

But the one thing I won't stop doing is "having fun" on rides.

I hope everyone is cool with that...

Edited by robbalvey

I have to say, it is comical to have lurkers & first time posters come in here thinking they can get away with acting like total douche-bags and end up getting served by the mods!

Just goes to show how many unhappy people we have in this world that think they're entitled to having everything their way and then complain when they don't get it. Perhaps Mommy should have taken them off the teat before their 5th birthday?

Robb and the mods put a hell of a lot of work into this site...and the best part is that it's FOR FREE! I can think of pay sites that aren't anywhere nearly as nice and well laid out as this one - where it's just a money grab that provides little to no value.

This is the best theme park site on the web, people...like Robb and others have said if you don't like it, don't visit the site or watch the videos - it's really that simple!

I guess thats were measurements are different between the EU and the USA - I've no problems showing the vids to kids and my friends who have kids - these are the only I can show them to - never complained. German rating: PG-6.

But you see it on the movies: Winona Ryder's womens drama "How To Make An American Quilt" got an R in the US for strong language and drug use - in Germany it got PG-6...

It's kinda funny how over-worried some are about profanity but hand their kids a gun...

All I know is that TPR has the best quality and selection of videos on the internet.

You guys put forth an enormous amount of effort in planning these trips, working with the parks and updating the site with damn near up to the minute reports. Blows my mind that some people will still find something to complain about.

Keep up the awesome work and have some fun doing it.

Douggw! seriously! This is like being a guest in someones home and complaining because the decor does not suit you! They didn't decorate it for you! It's not your house they decorated it for themselves. You didn't pay for their trips, video equipment, or time. I would get it if it were a actual critique sent privately to Rob but a whiny post on the main board! Dude Rob is being nicer than I would be. It's attitudes and actions like that that make people wonder why they bother. Why should they work so hard and share all this content with us for FREE! Seriously dude seriously! Either way that's my 2 cents. Okay More like dollar and a half. LoL

I guess thats were measurements are different between the EU and the USA - I've no problems showing the vids to kids and my friends who have kids - these are the only I can show them to - never complained. German rating: PG-6.

And honestly, most of our videos would be rated "PG" in the states. Seriously, it's not like we are throwing F-bombs around all the time. You hear an "Oh, crap" out of me, and *maybe* *maybe* an "oh, sh1t!!!" every once in a while.

I really don't think the language in our videos are anything worse than your average Family Guy episode.

--Robb

Why are you being so abrasive??? They are MY videos. If you don't like them... Don't watch. Simple. You write to me saying how "most people" don't like the audio in our videos, and I was simply defending my stance on why I think otherwise. If you don't want to hear a response like that, don't come out of the gate with such erroneous accusations. Understood?

I was just giving you a full explanation of why we do what we do. Jesus effing Christ!!!

--Robb "Please don't ever tell me what I should be saying." Alvey

You're calling me abrasive with comments like Jesus effing christ? You're like the most abrasive person I've seen on here. I never said you have to bend over backwards to suite my needs. I just offered my criticism in a thread that seemed to call for it. I was mistaken with my "most people" comment. I was just thinking of the average person rather than extreme roller coaster fans. If you don't like what I say then you don't have to respond. It works both ways.