TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment (SEAS) Corporate Thread

Interesting article, but I don't really see how investing in roller coasters would benefit SeaWorld San Diego considering they can't really build anything over 30 feet tall. I'm all for a bunch of Mantas but just don't see it in the cards. Maybe they should sell the San Diego park to Disney.....

I'll bite. How about A Launched B&M Wing Coaster that has a corkscrew over a midway? Have it go through tunnels or something.

Name it Mantwo and we'll be good to go!

Could call it Steel Eel

Yeah, that flows better than my suggestion. They could use both if they wanted though because if they start making their parks look like an RCT3 park of mine, they're going to need a lot of names.

Honestly, 25 coasters spread across 3 parks sounds like overkill, although it would bring people in.

Interesting article, but I don't really see how investing in roller coasters would benefit SeaWorld San Diego considering they can't really build anything over 30 feet tall. I'm all for a bunch of Mantas but just don't see it in the cards. Maybe they should sell the San Diego park to Disney.....

They can...not giant hyper coaster high, but they most certainly can go over 30ft.

They can...not giant hyper coaster high, but they most certainly can go over 30ft.

Do you know how high they can go, or just that it is above 30ft?

I can't see another American amusement chain buying them. My vote would be a company not yet in the amusement industry or foreign money.

Edit: I wouldn't mind seeing Herschend getting their hands on it somehow.

I was thinking Herschend or Merlin would be the best to run the parks as they both have experience with animal attractions. Herschend owns numerous aquariums and have experience with animal attractions. Merlin has the SeaLife branch and the SeaWorld brand could be morphed into SeaLife pretty easily. The parks could be reimagined as large aquarium exhibits instead of being so show happy.

Do you know how high they can go, or just that it is above 30ft?

Technically they can do whatever they want. No more than 25% of structures in the park are to exceed 30 feet and "should" remain below 60ft, but so long as that 25% number is met and the coastal commission approves, Sea World is meeting the terms of their lease. Sea World makes a choice to not push the limits in order to remain good partners (the height restriction is actually a City Ordinance, not the coastal commission thing).

Interesting article. I wonder what Six Flags would do with a bonafide year round park in Florida. However, I just believe that Cedar Fair amusement parks, top to bottom, in every category are just better. They appear to have better operations and a better feel.

I worry about a sale to CF because of what they did to Geauga Lake, and arguably what they are doing to Michigan's Adventure. However Kings Dominion and BGW are both strong parks and could be the next Cedar Point-Kings Island tag team.

I'd have to think Cedar Fair would at least look long and hard at BGT, if only to break into the lucrative, year-round amusement park business in Florida. They already have experience with that in the So-Cal market with Knott's, so it's not a completely new tack for them. Maintaining the animals would be, however, so I'm not sure if that's a route they'd want to go.

As for BGW, I do wonder how much they'd feel like that park would be a market redundancy with KD so close. Yes, CP and KI are relatively close, but not 1 hour close. Heck, even Geauga Lake was farther away from CP than that. Both Kennywood and Waldameer are closer to CP than KI is. Ohio's a big state, and they are basically at the North/South extremes of it. As such, I'm not sure CP would be interested in BGW.

I have to agree with those that predict that a company like Herschend or Merlin would be most likely to buy them. I could see Herschend being interested in a a park like BGT, or possibly even BGW. Merlin actually seems like a prime candidate for BGW, as its vibe just seems to fit in the best with the other parks in their company. If it went that way: BGT to Herschend (or CF), and BGW to Merlin, I would feel very good about the direction of either park.

I'm still leery of how well Six Flags would manage either park (especially BGW), but I suppose they could surprise me... They do have experience with animals, both at Discovery Kingdom, and previously at Worlds of Adventure. Still, if Sea World sells them, Herschend or Merlin would seem to be the best case scenario, to see the parks continue to be operated at the high level they are at currently.

The potentially awesome side of them selling, would be the accelerated investment into roller coasters across the Sea World parks. SWO is already awesome in that regard, and another one or two coasters there would be most welcome. I've never been to the other SW parks, but it seems they could stand to be improved in that regard as well. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out going forward...

Just curious, (Cause I rarely get to be proven right) Is anyone still happy SeaWorld parks went public?

I personally thought it was dumb especially after seeing how much "Fun" Cedar Fair and Six Flags had with stock prices.

If you invested in SIX and FUN in late 2009 or early 2010 after the bottom of the financial markets were established, you would have done yourself a huge favor . Stocks well below 10 doars a share have seen prices in the 60 range, the 5 year graphs are a solid 45 degree angle up from left to right. In Fact, if had made a basket of theme park stocks including Comcast, Disney, Village Roadshow and even Merlin You would have had an outstanding mini fund based on theme parks. This link kinda reminds me of half the Motley Fool articles I read in that it's half nonsense. Adding coaster s and coaster alone isn't the answer and selling the Busch Gardens properties is foolish as well. In fact, they could use a new a Busch Gardens or two. Now, a merger of Herschend and SEAS that included all parks would make sense but I doubt Herschend has the capital to buy SEAS and take them private. Herchend has shown zero interest in going public. SeaWorld would have to do the buying.

Just curious, (Cause I rarely get to be proven right) Is anyone still happy SeaWorld parks went public?

I personally thought it was dumb especially after seeing how much "Fun" Cedar Fair and Six Flags had with stock prices.

If you invested in SIX and FUN in late 2009 or early 2010 after the bottom of the financial markets were established, you would have done yourself a huge favor . Stocks well below 10 doars a share have seen prices in the 60 range, the 5 year graphs are a solid 45 degree angle up from left to right. In Fact, if had made a basket of theme park stocks including Comcast, Disney, Village Roadshow and even Merlin You would have had an outstanding mini fund based on theme parks. This link kinda reminds me of half the Motley Fool articles I read in that it's half nonsense. Adding coaster s and coaster alone isn't the answer and selling the Busch Gardens properties is foolish as well. In fact, they could use a new a Busch Gardens or two. Now, a merger of Herschend and SEAS that included all parks would make sense but I doubt Herschend has the capital to buy SEAS and take them private. Herchend has shown zero interest in going public. SeaWorld would have to do the buying.

They seem to be shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic trying to deal with the huge sum of debt the company is saddled with from the Blackstone acquisition. Interestingly, they have a market in which they basically have carte blanche but have chosen for whatever reason to not attempt to extensively build that into more of a destination. I assume that's related to the costs involved in such a program, but I'm still left a bit baffled right now based on their current performance and focuses.

This whole thing is just baffling to me, I think Sea World should re-evaluate what they're doing. Whatever happens I hope neither Six Flags or Cedar Fair gets their hands on the parks. I do not need a Flight Deck or Super Hero ride at a Busch park. Cause you know those would come eventually.

This whole thing is just baffling to me, I think Sea World should re-evaluate what they're doing. Whatever happens I hope neither Six Flags or Cedar Fair gets their hands on the parks. I do not need a Flight Deck or Super Hero ride at a Busch park. Cause you know those would come eventually.

100% agree. It would definitely take the beauty from the parks that you don't get with cedar fair and six flags parks. And Imagine what cedar fair or six flags would do to sesame place. It definitely wouldn't be adding more family rides. In fact I feel like it would just end up closed like geugua lake.

^^I have a feeling the the executives at SEAS are and have been thoroughly evaluating what they're doing, they have a strong plan in place and they will recover and be fine.

As far as the parks getting sold, I don't think anyone outside of the C-suite in that company has any real insight into that, especially some random analyst. With that being said if they were to be sold Merlin kinda makes a little sense because it would give them the ability to sell multi-day multi park ticket packages in Orlando and Sand Diego, and give Merlin existing assets in a few other American Markets where they don't currently operate. Build a SeaLife and Dungeon attraction in Williamsburg, a Lego Discovery Center and Madame Tussaud's in San Antonio, it's not the craziest idea I've ever heard. Not sure if Merlin has that kind of cash or not, looks like they do have a pretty good chunk of current debt but what's another billion?

Would this be an "All or nothing" proposition for a potential buyer? For the reasons stated already, I can't see SF or CF being comfortable with the total package. They are stepping on their own toes in key areas. (CF has King's Dominion/BGW on top of each other while SF has SFFT and SW-San Antonio) You'd see at least one park closure if either company went forward, IMO. Would the Orlando and San Diego acquisitions be able to overcome those losses? CF seems to have a steeper hill to climb here.

Interesting theoretical that seems to kill this.

Would this be an "All or nothing" proposition for a potential buyer? For the reasons stated already, I can't see SF or CF being comfortable with the total package. They are stepping on their own toes in key areas. (CF has King's Dominion/BGW on top of each other while SF has SFFT and SW-San Antonio) You'd see at least one park closure if either company went forward, IMO. Would the Orlando and San Diego acquisitions be able to overcome those losses? CF seems to have a steeper hill to climb here.

Interesting theoretical that seems to kill this.

It is literally just being thrown out there by a guy as a panacea for the ills of SEAS. As stated previously, I don't think either SIX or FUN has the funds available to do it and would probably find difficulty going to find lendors to let them make the purchase.

^Leveraged buyout. It would make more sense for Six Flags to take on a ton of debt and use under performing parks as the collateral. Keep any of the strong assets, dumb the under performing stuff.

^Leveraged buyout. It would make more sense for Six Flags to take on a ton of debt and use under performing parks as the collateral. Keep any of the strong assets, dumb the under performing stuff.

Does that really make sense if the goal is to push the stock price up? I don't see any reason to believe they'd want to start competing in Orlando or with themselves in San Antonio in the hopes of increasing market share. Their business model seems intrinsically opposed to what SEAS needs to right itself, which is significant capital investment.

If six flags bought the parks I think it's safe to say that Sea World San Antonio Would close unless they wanted to do a Combo Six Flags Fiesta Texas - Sea World Combo ticket. And Great White would be relocated to SFA, Great Escape or SFDK.

Edited by djackson

Did we miss this? Will it join Yas Waterworld, Ferrari World and the Warner Brother's park?

Too bad it's not a revival of the old Orca shaped island proposal that included SeaWorld and Busch Gardens:

• SeaWorld CEO Joel Manby says that SeaWorld has "moved to a definitive agreement stage" and that "money has changed hands"

• Hoping to publicly announce the expansion plans in Fall 2016

• Will not have killer whales on display.

Check out the source article for more details and more future SeaWorld plans:

http://www.attractionsmanagement.com/detail.cfm?pagetype=detail&subject=news&codeID=325715

• 7 months later...

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/24/blackstone-sells-stake-in-seaworld-to-chinas-zhonghong-zhuoye.html

Takeaways

Blackstone is selling their 21 percent stake in SEAS and Zhongzang Zhuoye gains two seats on the board of directors (which has been increased from 9 -11). Zhongzang Zhuoye is prohibited from owning more than 24.9% of SEAS.

Zhongzang Group would operate any future parks (if added) in China, Macau, Taiwan and Hong Kong with SeaWorld advising.

Blackstone sells stake in SeaWorld to China's Zhonghong Zhuoye

Friday, 24 Mar 2017 | 9:03 AM ET Reuters

China-based Zhonghong Zhuoye Group will buy Blackstone Group's 21 percent stake in SeaWorld Entertainment, the embattled U.S.-based marine park operator said on Friday.

SeaWorld said Zhonghong Group would buy the stake for $23 per share, a premium of nearly 33 percent to the stock's close on Thursday.

Zhonghong Group — a diversified holding company for investments in real estate, leisure and tourism — will pay about $429 million for the stake, according to Reuters calculations.

Blackstone will no longer have any interests or board seats at SeaWorld after the deal closes in the second quarter of 2017.

Private equity firm Blackstone, which bought SeaWorld in 2009 for $2.3 billion, has been reducing its stake in the company since taking it public in 2013.

SeaWorld faced criticism after the release of the 2013 documentary "Blackfish", which depicted the captivity and public exhibition of killer whales as inherently cruel. The company said last year it would stop breeding killer whales in captivity.

The company, which has reported falling revenue for the last three years and a loss last year, suspended dividend payments last year.

As part of the deal, SeaWorld will provide advisory services and support for developing theme parks, water parks and family entertainment centers in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau, which would be operated by Zhonghong Holding, an affiliate of Zhonghong Group.

SeaWorld will also increase the size of its board to 11, including two executives from Zhonghong Group.

The agreement also contains restrictions on Zhonghong Group's ability to sell its interest in SeaWorld for a period of two years or acquire more than 24.9 percent of its outstanding shares.