TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment (SEAS) Corporate Thread

Surprise! PETA buys shares in SeaWorld

SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. made waves Friday in its first day of trading on the New York Stock Exchange when its stock opened at $30.56 a share. One newly invested part-owner quickly stepped forward -- People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

No matter which side of the fence your opinions lie, everyone loves a good blind-side. And PETA just dished out a doozy.

Although the animal rights organization did not disclose how many shares it had bought, the group ensured it was sufficient enough, "to give us the right to attend and speak at annual meetings and to submit shareholder resolutions asking for policy changes," they said.

For a corporation that usually has its ducks (penguins?) all in a row, SeaWorld executives cannot be happy.

PETA meanwhile, has set its own shareholder agenda.

"Our first order of business as part owners of SeaWorld," wrote Michelle Kretzer in PETA's blog, is "Getting the orcas out—including Corky, who has been enslaved by SeaWorld for 44 years."

Ouch. The annual meetings should be fun.

But PETA isn't stopping there. The organization said that it is also proposing to "educate stockholders about how marine parks tear orcas and dolphins away from their homes and families and imprison them in minuscule concrete tanks, where they suffer from captivity-induced stress and illness."

Now I'd definitely buy a ticket to see that.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/348462#ixzz2RDcvoLxv

I posted this in another thread, but I think this is the correct thread for the discussion.

I really dislike how hypocritical PETA is. To spend all this money in buying shares in SeaWorld when it was proven that the shelters that euthanized the most animals last year were owned by them. Why not spend more money on protecting animals?

Anyway it has been proven in the past that any animal who has to hunt for it's food that was raised in captivity cannot survive in the wild without being taught how to hunt by their parents. So if by some astronomical legal wrangling PETA forces this to happen through the courts, then they will be killing the animals as a result.

Meanwhile, at SeaWorld...

1125128916_seaworldIPO.jpg.68f9bcab47a10554152e17200e9ab42c.jpg

To be honest though, unless PETA buys more stock, the preferred stockholders and higher ups could continue to shrug them off. Meanwhile, PETA would just be sitting on an investment in SeaWorld rather than... you know... actually helping animals.

They bought enough shares to make this a small headline, and that's pretty much as far as their voice will carry.

And that's all that PETA is really interested in.

^Exactly. Now they will just show up at all the annual shareholder meetings, annoy everyone with their protests, and have any motions they propose shut down.

From the prospectus:

Immediately following this offering of common stock, affiliates of Blackstone will beneficially own approximately 67.5% of our common stock, or approximately 63.3% if the underwriters exercise in full their option to purchase additional shares. As a result, investment funds associated with or designated by affiliates of Blackstone will have the ability to elect all of the members of our Board of Directors and thereby control our policies and operations, including the appointment of management, future issuances of our common stock or other securities, the payment of dividends, if any, on our common stock, the incurrence or modification of debt by us, amendments to our amended and restated certificate of incorporation and amended and restated bylaws and the entering into of extraordinary transactions, and their interests may not in all cases be aligned with your interests. In addition, Blackstone may have an interest in pursuing acquisitions, divestitures and other transactions that, in its judgment, could enhance its investment, even though such transactions might involve risks to you. For example, Blackstone could cause us to make acquisitions that increase our indebtedness or cause us to sell revenue-generating assets. Additionally, in certain circumstances, acquisitions of debt at a discount by purchasers that are related to a debtor can give rise to cancellation of indebtedness income to such debtor for U.S. federal income tax purposes.
Edited by Jew

They bought enough shares to make this a small headline, and that's pretty much as far as their voice will carry.

And that's all that PETA is really interested in.

^This.. PETA purchased about $2000.00 dollars worth of shares, which allows them to propose "shareholder resolutions"... Think of a shareholder resolution as a non-binding poll, that is usually used by activist groups to make headlines. The board and the company are not required to even follow the vote of a shareholder resolution even if it receives the majority of votes by all voting shareholders... It's a pure headlines grab.

-chris "PETA likely spent twice as much in issuing press releases to announce this" con

^That's the shame of the situation... I expect the annual meetings Q&A sessions to always have at least one person ranting on and on, wasting valuable time talking about a topic that few other shareholders will care about or agree with... But that is the wonder of a publicly traded company--agenda pushers like these can buy their way in just to speak up.

• 3 years later...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/seaworld-upgraded-but-it-still-desperately-needs-roller-coasters-2016-08-11

SeaWorld could pursue a more “aggressive reinvestment” strategy and sell its Busch Gardens Parks, potentially to Cedar Fair FUN, -0.76% or Six Flags SIX, -0.89% for a resulting $1 billion in proceeds, Chaiken wrote in a note to clients. With that money, he said SeaWorld could pay down its debt, while adding 25 new roller coasters “which would help transform the experience of its park overnight.”

I don't see Cedar Fair (Except for Busch Williamsburg) as they don't do animals. I could see Six Flags buying Busch Tampa.

Interesting article, but I don't really see how investing in roller coasters would benefit SeaWorld San Diego considering they can't really build anything over 30 feet tall. I'm all for a bunch of Mantas but just don't see it in the cards. Maybe they should sell the San Diego park to Disney.....

I can't see either chain expending that kind of money right now. Any investment, in my mind, is much more likely to come from outside the US in the form of someone like Wanda or a real estate firm backed with Middle Eastern money.

Interesting article, but I don't really see how investing in roller coasters would benefit SeaWorld San Diego considering they can't really build anything over 30 feet tall. I'm all for a bunch of Mantas but just don't see it in the cards. Maybe they should sell the San Diego park to Disney.....

I'll bite. How about A Launched B&M Wing Coaster that has a corkscrew over a midway? Have it go through tunnels or something.

Kinda weird to see a report from a financial analyst stating something as specific as cutting a dividend to investing in new roller coasters, especially since that's pretty much what they did this past year, and already have one new coaster announced for next year.

I'll bite. How about A Launched B&M Wing Coaster that has a corkscrew over a midway? Have it go through tunnels or something.

Name it Mantwo and we'll be good to go!

Name it Mantwo and we'll be good to go!

Could call it Steel Eel