TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review builds a backyard roller coaster!

A few years ago when we had about 2 feet of snow, we created the ultimate snow-ler coaster. We have about a 10 foot deep ravine in the woods in our backyard, and it curves. We started at the top of a 2 foot high mound of snow and there was an almost vertical drop and it went up into a curve, and, like a tornado water slide, the tube rode up and down the sides of the ravine around the corner, and we also made a small airtime hill at the end which launched me about 6 inches from the top of it. It was awesome, but we didn't have a camera that took video at the time. We haven't come anywhere close to getting enough snow to do it again.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many trains are running on that thing? I'm hoping for one train operation.

We actually have a TWO train operation! However one train needs some maintenance as it runs slower than the other!*

--Robb

* This actually isn't a joke, either! lol We actually do have two cars and one of them kind of sucks!

Oh my gosh does that bring back fun memories of my childhood!

We used to build tracks down this golf course hill by our school that had HUGE air time jumps - to the point where one time my glasses went flying and then got broke when another kid accidentally stepped on them. One other kid broke his arm and I have no idea how many plastic sleds we would trash in one winter.

Another friend of mine lived next to a bridge on Interstate 86 that had about a 100 foot drop at a pretty steep angle. You would absolutely fly down it, but you had to side steer it at the bottom or you'd plunge into a creek....fun times!

I also used to build trails of my own as we owned 13 acres in the country and had some really nice smaller hills about 25 feet tall. I remember going in for buckets of water so I could ice down the trails once we made the jumps. We would build a tame one for the parents and younger one's and then one with a big jump for the thrillseekers.

Definitely makes me want to go buy some sleds and go out in the snow today and build one as I used to do this EVERY winter when I was a kid - it was soooo much fun!

So....

TPDave & Hanno have attempted a third slide. Obviously Chris volunteered to try it out first so he could get the credit...

tp1.jpg.9eed28154d059de3e388d91676ac10c7.jpg

Chris gets on this British/Dutch made Snow Coaster...

tp2.jpg.97e3931b11cc3b2bc780aa959f82fb2b.jpg

Initial test runs didn't go so well! At the moment, it's about on par with a "Chinese knock-off Snow Coaster!" lol

That looks like the same snow tubing place I visited last year. To date, that's the best place I've been snow tubing, partly because the chutes are long and partly because they were fast (it helped that I went at night and everything was covered in a thin layer of ice). Only downside is taking two lifts to get to the top.

It appears that you're having a great time on the homemade backyard snowcoaster. It's nice to see plenty of snow on the ground since I'm leaving for a ski trip to Utah on Sunday. Fortunately, this trip won't have poor conditions like last year's did.

Enjoy your trip and I'll keep watching for updates.

Fortunately, this trip won't have poor conditions like last year's did.

Last year was some of the worst snow conditions in history! This year has been great. We got about 8 inches of snow just in the last 24 hours and have about the same amount coming by tomorrow night!

Only downside is taking two lifts to get to the top.

Yeah, but at least they were quick and "interesting" to use...

Just when you thought the Snow Coaster looked like fun before... wait until you see it at *NIGHT!!!*

[youtube2]

[/youtube2]

(said in a smug voice) "Oh...well... YOU haven't been on Snow Coaster if you haven't ridden it at NIGHT!"

Edited by robbalvey