TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RCT2 and RCT3 graphics: interchangeable

Catwalks on lifts: yes

Peeps that seem to be missing vital humanoid characteristics: no

Licenses from B&M, Vekoma, S&S Arrow, Schwarzkopf, Six Flags and Cedar Fair: yes

A resort-themed expansion pack: maybe

That's all I am offering

I stopped reading after the first page of "suggestions."

Coaster building like NoLimits?

Play NoLimits; RCT has always been more about the parks then the coasters.

Personally, I'd love building the parks like RCT2, but being able to switch to a 3D view like RCT3

I was about to say that! RCT2>RCT3. Lets get back to that graphic style.

EDIT: Oh and PLEASE re-release RCT2 for mac. That's the only thing I miss about my pc from years and years ago.

Going to go out on a limb here and say that I don't think this game is going to go backwards in graphics to the days of RCT2. It is only going to keep going forward and build off of what is in RCT3. Just my opinion though.

The only way RCT2 is ever going to get better or expanded on is if someone with code skills gets into the game and either makes new track and train variations and other additions or releases a program in a form simple enough for some of us to understand and do it ourselves.

Cough, ROBB!

Going to go out on a limb here and say that I don't think this game is going to go backwards in graphics to the days of RCT2. It is only going to keep going forward and build off of what is in RCT3. Just my opinion though.

The only way RCT2 is ever going to get better or expanded on is if someone with code skills gets into the game and either makes new track and train variations and other additions or releases a program in a form simple enough for some of us to understand and do it ourselves.

Cough, ROBB!

I don't think Atari knows what fans want. No offense to Atari fans, but with few exceptions, the games they've released over the past 5 years have been absolutely horrible. So honestly, I want the isometric view option with the exact design window from RCT2 for everything regarding scenery, paths, ride building, etc. Even with the little buttons at the top.

RCT3 felt more like a Sims game than an RCT game.

you know, as much as you guys complain about RCT3, its still rated very well across the board - sometimes much better than the original or RCT2.

Except the problem with that logic is that any type of critic tends to not factor in some "blind spots" of games. Two of the blind spots are "Substance and Subsistence" and "Ease of Playing".

What RCT3 has in "Substance", it lacks in "Ease of Playing" which in the long term, affects "Subsistence". Why do you think people still care about an 8-year old game?

Except the problem with that logic is that any type of critic tends to not factor in some "blind spots" of games. Two of the blind spots are "Substance and Subsistence" and "Ease of Playing".

What RCT3 has in "Substance", it lacks in "Ease of Playing" which in the long term, affects "Subsistence". Why do you think people still care about an 8-year old game?

Subsistence?????

I still have all of the RCT games. Quite honestly, I don't even play RCT or RCT2. I love RCT3. It has so much more than the originals.

Once Atari released Wild and the night crawler update, I've never has an issue with RCT3 in playability. I'm guessing that's the case with most users, since you never hear any more complaints. As PC's have gotten faster the past few years, RCT3 has become less of a strain. I have a five year old PC with only a GB of Ram, and 512MB video card. It plays RCT3 fairly well, unless I get too detailed and too big. BUT I've figured out ways around it (see my EPCOT Recreation).

Those of you that continue to bash RCT3, probably haven't given it enough play time, or your system just isn't up to snuff.

^ Not surprised because there are more RCT2 builders in TPR than RCT3 builders. Funny because there used to be more RCT3 builders and they all died out around the time I died out. Some are coming back like me but I want to see more come back to TPR... cough.. Steffen DK, Twister II etc. coasterdude5 has never stopped building his quality works and I greatly respect him for that.

Only going to say that RCT3 allows more space for creativity and detail compared to the first two.

Only going to say that RCT3 allows more space for creativity and detail compared to the first two.

That's a very good way of putting it.

I have nothing against the other two versions. I love them, and still tinker in them from time to time. RCT3 has just gotten a bad rap, which is really unjustified if you know how to work with it, and have all the fixes.

^ Agreed.

After discovering the magic of splitting parks (and getting a nicer computer), I have no real problems with the game. Sometimes it lags, sometimes it doesn't. Now as far as building large parks go, forget it about it. The game can't handle big files. But if you learn to work with the game, you can make it work for you.

Those of you that continue to bash RCT3, probably haven't given it enough play time, or your system just isn't up to snuff.

yeah, I always kind of thought this was a fault with the game - if you look at coaster sites when it first came out, there was a TON of ranting because people's computers weren't up to the required spec, or they barely met them and the game experience wasn't as fun. People were already pissed at the game before they even got a chance to load it. Hell, my mom got a new computer in December 2004 (just after the game was released), and even though it was a pretty decent machine for the time, it wouldn't run RCT3. I was lucky enough to have a school that mandated a top of the line computer, and both my laptop and desktop had ATI cards in them. I never had a problem, and found it to be just as fun

[

After discovering the magic of splitting parks (and getting a nicer computer), I have no real problems with the game. Sometimes it lags, sometimes it doesn't. Now as far as building large parks go, forget it about it. The game can't handle big files. But if you learn to work with the game, you can make it work for you.

I've found if you use the same scenery pieces over and over (which is what I'm doing for the ECPOT park), the lag really lessens. My theory is that the program, and the PC don't have to render as many different items it can keep up. That park is a full 254x254. I've also noticed that it's the rides that create the most lag. The animation of them is what brings the game to it's knees.

yeah, I always kind of thought this was a fault with the game - if you look at coaster sites when it first came out, there was a TON of ranting because people's computers weren't up to the required spec, or they barely met them and the game experience wasn't as fun. People were already pissed at the game before they even got a chance to load it. Hell, my mom got a new computer in December 2004 (just after the game was released), and even though it was a pretty decent machine for the time, it wouldn't run RCT3.

That's when I got my PC. It runs it, but I have to be realistic in my game setting sliders, and the park size, and how detailed I want to get.

Hopefully Atari follows through and isn't simply leading its fans on, would be nice if it was already in development. I'd buy it in a heartbeat and I'm sure it will consume much of my life. Now keep in mind, this will probably take a while to develop, probably a couple years I'm guessing. Should be worth the wait. A lot of Atari members were talking about No Limits level of graphics but I highly doubt this will work once you've gotten even a small park going. So here's my list:

Undo button - Nothing's worse than finishing a building, then adjusting the terrain around it throwing it out of whack

Slightly more realistic designs on the coasters

Color picker as opposed to the pallet

More realistic shops/stalls (could be a simple counter top, up to us to build the housing around it) with tables guests can sit at

Angled paths, even if it's 45* turns, I'd be happy.

More realistic stations - Airgates, multiple rows, operator control panel

More realistic peep actions boarding trains such as pulling down the restraints, operators checking, and operate control panel

Would be nice to hear a "Clear 1, Clear 2...enjoy your ride" as part of the dispatch

Cleaner graphics, more poly, less jaggedness...ultimate dream would be seeing the parks as we do when Six Flags shows us a promo video of an upcoming coaster in CGI.

More realistic sounds for rides (I loved the B&M coaster sound RCT2 had as well as the woodie)

More ride types reflecting what we have today and rides of the past - Multiple forms of a drop tower such as second gen, first gen, gyro, etc.

More control on swimming pools (like a zero-depth entry - however deep we want it to go)

Run outs on waterslides (like a speed slide)

Sharper turns on slides that utilize 1 tile - could use this for if we're making a kids area/play structure

Synched lighting that can be used for flat rides, shows, etc.

Posted this on the Atari thread:

-New graphics engine. Go all out. DirectX 11, scales up/down by 2+ years, whatever. Get good driver support. Make it look as good as possible while still running well on most consumer computers made in the last 2 years.

-Official support for custom scenery. Make an official file extension, import/convert from popular 3D modeling programs. Bake custom scenery into the park file, or just have a unified extension for all content.

-Social/Multiplayer. Make it easy to share parks/designs/scenery. Make some sort of substantial competitive mode, doesn't have to be in real time.

-Compatibility. Break all of it. I mean it. Start fresh, don't worry about working with previous games or files-dedicate everything to making this game work well.

-Expansions. I might not be alone when I say that if expansions were basically glorified patches, I'd gladly pay $50-60 for the game up front.

-Cloud support. Back up park files to a server. It's not like we're backing up entire movie libraries here. Would make the "hard drive crashed lost park sorry guys" post occur less often.

They need more realistic supports, more inversions, and something strange but, that would be cool if YOU could be a peep and see through its eyes. you could buy food, hang with your group, control wear you walk, your movements. It would be super duper cool.

Here's what I'd like:

Realistic coaster designing

More realistic-looking peeps

More peep designer options (to customize the peep even more)

An option to create "furry characters" (foxes, dogs, cats, and other animals) to roam your park (not mascots)

An option to custom-create your own mascot.

To be able to place paths, rides, coasters in ANY direction (diagonally)

More thrill rides

More dark ride options

No more "boxed areas"for the thrill rides to be contained in ( you know, the square of rectangular barrior... should be changed according to the shape of the thrill ride itself)

No random animals swimming around in the water that surrounds your park (sharks, stingrays, etc.)

No more grid system

An "undo" button

----------------------------

Badee abadee abadee That's All Folks!

i would also LOVE it if they made it more like a real theme park, where peeps can rome any where in the area with out putting down paths. When you load your theme park in sandbox mode, it would be ALL asphalt, and you could put rides on it.

You are all aware that SONY is planning to re-release the RCT series pending how the movie turns out.

And that Sony bought RCT franchise from Atari and Chris Sawyer

Ugh, which just further points to the probability that this edition will be barely-playable shadow of it's former self. Not only is being based off a movie and loosing Chris Sawyer's guidance going to destroy it's credibility, but Sony or whoever probably isn't exactly going to go through the effort of actually making a realistic or even good game when the fanfare surrounding the brand itself will sell copies effortlessly. I think we're in for a huge disappointment.

It was a real piece of luck that someone came along and made a somewhat-realistic amusement park tycoon game, but I doubt we'll be so lucky again in the future until someone or some group actually gets together and makes this happen open-source style.

Don't want to rain on the parade too much, but this is a possibility that should be mentioned before everyone gets too excited.