TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Studio (TPS) Discussion Thread

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those new pictures are pretty impressive, every update made to the game makes it look more and more realistic and awesome ! So sad I won't be able to play it tomorrow, I'm busy the hole day... I'll spend my hole friday on TPS for sure !

I don't plan on downloading the game today, so if someone could private message me the file formats that Theme Park Studio uses I'll get the Game Exchange updated as soon as possible!

I'm very excited about this release, even more so than NL2, despite the fact that there are no coasters in it yet.

I just hope that everyone understands the coaster module isn't in there yet. I suspect many don't and there will be the usual comments with outrage.

I'm very excited about this release, even more so than NL2, despite the fact that there are no coasters in it yet.

I just hope that everyone understands the coaster module isn't in there yet. I suspect many don't and there will be the usual comments with outrage.

Yeah, TPS has been VERY clear about the game being released in modules, and which order the modules are coming in, but I'm sure people haven't been paying attention.

To activate your product key, go to the Steam homepage, go to the toolbar at the very top of the page (the smaller one) and click on Games. Next click on Activate a Product on Steam on the drop-down menu, then follow the directions.

If you can't find it that way, this explains it. (I think I just misunderstood the other instructions, though.)

Assuming you are on the Steam desktop client: Go to Library, then look at the bottom left corner for: "+ Add a Game..." From there go to "Activate a Product on Steam" and follow the instructions.

It's strange.

I haven't received e-mail updates from the devs for a while, including the one with an early access steam key.

I'll wait a while before contacting anyone about it, just in case e-mail is being snail mail as of lately.

Everything is looking amazing though, without a doubt!

Just tried it out for about an hour and a half.

This isn't a game yet, it's pretty much 3D Home Architect with better graphics. Which isn't bad, but I paid for a theme park creator, not one of those theme park model hobby sets with inanimate rides.

==So far==

Pros:

-Good looking foliage

-Good path editor

-In depth custom scenery creator

-Lighting engine is promising (but glitchy)

-Great particle effects (ex. fire)

-Fully adjustable screen size and toolbar setup

-Competent save states

-Objects can be aligned to grid, or free moving

-Loads pretty fast, the game is fairly well optimized (Nowhere near the quality of RCT3 yet however)

-Already has texture mod support! (.dds files btw, would love .png support eventually)

-Easy to use color tool

Cons:

-Unanimated rides/foliage

-Unrebindable controls for camera/editors

-VERY glitchy terrain editor

-Inconsistent textures (some look great, some look stripped from a game fifteen years ago)

-No people (yet)

-No roller coasters/tracked rides (yet)

-Few static rides/buildings to choose from

-Framerate cap is at 30 (For a PC game? Really? Even RCT3's was 60 and that game came out a decade ago.)

-Random framerate dips

Even for a mere 1.5 year dev cycle, I'm surprised to see how incomplete the game is compared to the in-engine footage we saw from the trailers.

I mean, not even the damned flat rides have animations.

I honestly would have rather wait another year for a finished product than have this. Steam doesn't need any more incomplete games flooding their Early Access page.

TL;DR: Off to a solid start, but IMO this game has no reason to be played at the moment. It's not worth the $30 on Steam. Yet.

We'll see what happens.

EDIT:

Does anybody know when flat rides get animations? That was supposedly the next milestone and I plan on playing the game again then.

Edited by Randomman295

^^I have been having the same problem. The last update I received was project update 21, back in January. And, I did pledge $50, so I believe I should be receiving something. I will continue to try to find out why I cannot find the code.

Hey, glad I'm not the only one.

Did you happen to pledge via the Kicstarter page, or the alternate pledge page?

I've decided to wait 2 weeks until my new power supply and graphics card is bought to try it out. I've got a 6 year old graphics card right now that I'm sure will probably not be strong enough. I'm anxious to try it, even if it is just basically making a 3-D map right now.

Just tried it out for about an hour and a half.

This isn't a game yet, it's pretty much 3D Home Architect with better graphics. Which isn't bad, but I paid for a theme park creator, not one of those theme park model hobby sets with inanimate rides.

Cons:

-Unanimated rides/foliage

Even for a mere 1.5 year dev cycle, I'm surprised to see how incomplete the game is compared to the in-engine footage we saw from the trailers.

I mean, not even the damned flat rides have animations.

I honestly would have rather wait another year for a finished product than have this.Steam doesn't need any more incomplete games flooding their Early Access page.

TL;DR: Off to a solid start, but IMO this game has no reason to be played at the moment.

Did you not read any of the emails or information? They were very clear the flat rides wouldn't have animation yet so I don't see how you can list it as a con already and call the game incomplete, they've been honest from the get-go that things from the trailers will be coming later. You complain that steam is filling up early access with incomplete games but isn't that the point of early access but it says right there in the description:

Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops

If your that upset that right now it's a theme park hobby set why did you back it for the testing option, you could have just backed a lower tier and waited for the finished project since you just said you'd rather wait a year.

For others though in case you missed it here is when to expect what in future phases.

Phase 2:

Custom flat ride designer and animator, with ultra realistic physics. This module is one of our finest. It includes proprietary tools and technologies that allow players to build custom rides from scratch, with amazing realism, using patented technology. This module is currently 60 percent complete.

Phase 3:

Coaster construction. This module quite a lot already finished including on the fly rail type changing, coloring, station linking, rail supports, lifts, cat-walks, and more... However we want to continue to add additional features requested by the community.

Phase 4:

Music streaming with new custom DLC sound tracks.

Phase 5:

Custom train design. This module is extremely powerful and almost fully complete. Please refer to our videos for a detailed look. Here you can create almost any custom train imaginable, including importing your own custom meshes, built by you or downloaded from the community

Phase 6:

Keyframer. This powerful module is 80 percent complete and is for advanced users that want to hand animate objects and physics for that extra detailed touch. Please see video library for a detailed look.

Phase 7:

Particle Effects. Particle effects are 80 percent complete.

Phase 8:

Guest integration with path-finding AI and behavioral trees.”

If your that upset that right now it's a theme park hobby set why did you back it for the testing option, you could have just backed a lower tier and waited for the finished project since you just said you'd rather wait a year.

I knew this. I'm just warning anybody that didn't follow the dev cycle that this game isn't worth $30 yet.

Played around with it a little bit today. It has a lot of potential, but it just seems sort of incomplete right now. I know it's early access and more features will be added in phases, but you'd think that there would at least be a settings menu or an undo button to fix a big mistake when playing with paths for the first time. Also, I looked in the Steam forums and it seems i'm not the only where TPS is running slow. The controls are a bit funky and without that settings menu I can't remap anything yet. Graphically though it looks great and you'll really be able to customize things, looking forward to where it goes from here.

You complain that steam is filling up early access with incomplete games but isn't that the point of early access.

When was the last time you went and bought a game on early access? Tons are barely playable. Most of them aren't even complete games, but rather tech demos that have been squatting on steam for upwards of a couple years.

The shining examples, the ones that get frequent updates and bug fixes (such as DayZ and Kerbal Space Program), are what started this whole mad rush, but for every Next Car Game and Starbound, there's going to be ten Dead Skys and ten Contagions.

That is exactly the point of early access: A playable game that fulfills the core premise, with features and patches promised to come soon.

Maybe Theme Park Studio promised updates, but the core game isn't there yet.

I knew this. I'm just warning anybody that didn't follow the dev cycle that this game isn't worth $30 yet.

Maybe not for you, but I think it's actually a really cool thing to be able to be involved with the development of the game at this phase. Yes, I realize that you want the game to be done sooner, and the original Kickstarter gave an earlier date, but it's not like they haven't been working NON STOP on the title and you weren't aware that the game was being released in phases.

Personally, I wish more games would take this approach and get fans involved earlier. Not only would you have a better understanding on what went into the development, but at this point, you're actually helping to shape the game.

I think your complaint is really flawed here.