TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Studio (TPS) Discussion Thread

I really don't understand why there are some people on facebook complaining about it being early access on steam when they'd paid for a closed-beta. I'm confused what they think they are being cheated out of since even before it was announced for steam, you could still become a backer and part of the beta by backing it on theme park studios funding site so it seems to me that nothings changed. Pay for early access on steam or back it through theme park studios site, both give you early access so it was never exactly "closed".

My complaint is not that the beta was released to the public, but it's because it was released on Steam, which I do not use. I have nothing against Steam, but I really didn't want a middle-man between me and my Theme Park Studio purchase. I get enough frustration with downloading Mac apps from the Mac App Store only...

Also, this makes me very apprehensive about the physical copy of the game that I'll be receiving as part of my backer level. There have been games released on Steam lately that have been also released as physical copies - but the physical copy simply ends up being a front to download the game on Steam itself.

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

EA games does the same thing with Origin. I hate that I had to download that first in order to play my game. I also do not want to have to use Steam but at least it means you can download it on any computer and have the game ready to install and play.

A.J., I'm actually kinda worried about that. I have a Steam account, but I never use it, and frankly, I don't want to use it anymore (I'm reluctant to see what my brother has done to my Steam account after he hijacked it a couple years ago). Is there going to be an option for us non-Steam users, or are we going to be forced to use Steam?

Steam is an interesting phenomenon to deal with in the gaming industry. On one hand, I'm sure it's a huge help to developers like Pantera who don't have a lot of good options to ship products out to thousands of customers at once (the server costs are higher than you think for this level of service). On the other hand though, we're putting ourselves at the mercy of a third party company, who forces us to use a side-application to access content that we've bought and paid for. I'm a little perturbed that it's become so natural to have to download ads in order to access MY content. If the steam client is unable to download the latest "update" (read: newest ads) from the server, sometimes I have trouble being able to play games I've paid good money for.

Meh, all in all, it seems like the best route forward for Pantera to handle it through Steam. What I'm really bracing for is the hoards of complaints when "early edition" is launched and those who haven't been paying attention get upset about the unfinished state of the game. I'm going to try to not even bother playing until March/April when the finished product is actually ready.

I really don't understand why there are some people on facebook complaining about it being early access on steam when they'd paid for a closed-beta. I'm confused what they think they are being cheated out of since even before it was announced for steam, you could still become a backer and part of the beta by backing it on theme park studios funding site so it seems to me that nothings changed. Pay for early access on steam or back it through theme park studios site, both give you early access so it was never exactly "closed".

My complaint is not that the beta was released to the public, but it's because it was released on Steam, which I do not use. I have nothing against Steam, but I really didn't want a middle-man between me and my Theme Park Studio purchase. I get enough frustration with downloading Mac apps from the Mac App Store only...

Also, this makes me very apprehensive about the physical copy of the game that I'll be receiving as part of my backer level. There have been games released on Steam lately that have been also released as physical copies - but the physical copy simply ends up being a front to download the game on Steam itself.

Yea my post was more to the people who think that people who sign up through steam should have to wait until full release. I'm a little nervous about steam, i've never used it before and when I downloaded it, it gives me prices in dollars. I'm based in Korea but my bank card is registered back to the UK, i've been burnt by a few stores where it finds i'm in korea and sends me to a korean store which is fine but then I go to pay it sees my bank home address is Uk and tells me to use the Uk store which then see's my IP and bounces me back to Korean store. The only thing so far that seems to have gone just off my card is the playstation store and apple store so far. I would test it out on a game to make sure it works but apart from maybe age of empires 2, I pretty much have all the games I want to play right now and don't really want to splash out. I'm also hoping in case of worst case scenario that my physical copy won't be tied to steam. Glad I paid that $10 extra as an international customer.

I noticed that on the Steam site, there is a video showcasing coaster trains and they are all referred to by manufacturer name, are these all officially licensed (I realise Intamin will be as they wrote about that) but wondered about the others.

When I was communicating with developers, they originally only had Intamin licenses back when they started doing custom ride / train requests. I asked for the B&M WingCoaster, and they said that they were seeking out more licenses, so have a plan B. One developer then told me that he had gotten a B&M license worked out and could make me a train. I said X-Flight trains would be best because they seem like the most "generic" of Wing Coaster trains.

TL;DR - All the trains (hopefully) have an official license.

I was the one who sorted out all the licenses for them, so yes, they do have them!

I noticed that on the Steam site, there is a video showcasing coaster trains and they are all referred to by manufacturer name, are these all officially licensed (I realise Intamin will be as they wrote about that) but wondered about the others.

When I was communicating with developers, they originally only had Intamin licenses back when they started doing custom ride / train requests. I asked for the B&M WingCoaster, and they said that they were seeking out more licenses, so have a plan B. One developer then told me that he had gotten a B&M license worked out and could make me a train. I said X-Flight trains would be best because they seem like the most "generic" of Wing Coaster trains.

I was the one who sorted out all the licenses for them, so yes, they do have them!

AWESOME!

Out of curiosity do some companies give licenses for individual rides or their whole catalogs or does it depend on the company? Just curious since the B&M inverted coaster was revealed really early probably before custom ride requests were submitted and quoted as B&M inverted coaster in the kick-starter update. Either way there's a lot more hard work that goes into getting this stuff into the games than I ever realized. I look at things like No limits and the RCT series and just took it for granted that these kinds of rides would be there for most games, I learnt something new today.

The game releases on February 10th on Steam Early Access.

I think that may have been a mistake on steams part I was browsing the forums and saw this:

We are glad to know you are looking forward to the release date, as we are. From the day the coming soon page went up, it reported Coming February 2014. The store page however displayed February 10th, which was not the set launch date and was corrected. We can tell you that it will be released sometime in February, probably the latter half. We will definitely keep you posted as we progress. Thanks for your support

I'm thrilled this is coming to Steam. Makes my life significantly easier because I didn't bother to back the project when it was new because I don't trust kickstarter programs, regardless of how well backed and promoted they are. I can wait and see if this is actually something that is worth purchasing, and then have it on my computer in a matter of a few hours if I deem it worth to spend the money.

I've used Steam for years and trust Valve as a developer. They've yet to do anything that bothers me in any major way as a customer and they seem to genuinely want to make a good experience for their users. Besides, Steam sales are pretty much the best thing ever!

The Arrow Hyper looks amazing !!!

It looks like the Battlestar Galactica. Nothing wrong with that--just an observation.

Yea, a little bit. More for the futuristic look I guess; Battlestar's is 2010 futuristic, Magnum's trains are 80's futuristic.

• 2 weeks later...

Here comes another update ! It's mostly a compilation of features already showcased, but at least it shows we're pretty close to early edition !

It's the steam official trailer :

(I've got problems embedding the video, not sure why, so here's the link)

They also posted on their Facebook that the bug tracker and the feature request are completed and that the early edition will take place in latter Feb.

Here comes another update ! It's mostly a compilation of features already showcased, but at least it shows we're pretty close to early edition !

It's the steam official trailer :

(I've got problems embedding the video, not sure why, so here's the link)

They also posted on their Facebook that the bug tracker and the feature request are completed and that the early edition will take place in latter Feb.

Try using the link under the share video tab on youtube and the [youtu_be] function on this forum, I always find that helps me when I have problems.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]