TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Studio (TPS) Discussion Thread

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I think the failure of the Kickstarter campaign could come down to not having the right marketing "edge" so to speak. The game has been hyped so far for it's realism and extreme flexibility, which is something most of the gamers on here have dreamed of forever. For the casual gamer, however, a lot of the material out there on this game just looks intimidating and complicated.

What they need to do is produce a video of them throwing together a bunch of coasters and flats in a simple manner and basically proclaim this as the new RCT... in a sensible way of course. I'm not saying they should use the RCT name in any way, but they need to do something that screams "Hey look! Fun roller coaster game!" I know this isn't much like RCT, but the GP doesn't care too much. As long as they get to build roller coasters they should be interested. Then you could pique the interest of a lot more of the general gaming audience.

It would also be great to reach out to a few gaming blogs and get some publicity/interviews/whatever out there. This is a really interesting and groundbreaking project, and not really anyone outside of this forum seems to know about it.

I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and double my pledge to $100, since I kept asking for hyper rails, i'll got for the $100 since it includes all the perks from previous tiers, plus then i get a coaster train or flat ride made for me. I hope when it says our artists will help you make to design a flat ride it looks as good as the ones they have shown already, I have a flat ride in mind that I always wanted to see in RCT that never appeared but my skills of making my own work are terrible, the flat ride maker will be too complex for me. I wonder if you'll be able to change the speed and the cycles of some of the flat rides, so it can either be carnival style crazy or more family friendly.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I think the failure of the Kickstarter campaign could come down to not having the right marketing "edge" so to speak. The game has been hyped so far for it's realism and extreme flexibility, which is something most of the gamers on here have dreamed of forever. For the casual gamer, however, a lot of the material out there on this game just looks intimidating and complicated.

What they need to do is produce a video of them throwing together a bunch of coasters and flats in a simple manner and basically proclaim this as the new RCT... in a sensible way of course.

But what you're asking for is essentially the complete game to be done before the Kickstater. That's not how Kickstarter works.

Kickstarter is a way for someone or a company to present an "idea", along with a prototype, to get people behind that idea, fund it, so it can then become a reality. If you look at many other video game projects on Kickstarter they have shown much less.

I agree with what was said on the Facebook post. If this doesn't even get *close* to the Kickstarter goal, the big question really becomes "is there an audience for this game?" and if the theme park and roller coaster community isn't backing it, I'm not sure I could advise Steve to continue with it's development.

I have seen first hand the amount of work and level of detail going into this. But if the community isn't supporting it, and Steve feels he's going to lose his investment, why release a product that won't sell?

I think the Kickstarter is a VERY smart way to figure out if you have a fan-base or not. So those you interested in the project, I would suggest backing it:

Edited by robbalvey

The numbers on kickstarter have really started climbing today. I know myself and several others have started working to get the news out to the larger gaming communities. I've been submitting to reddit, but keep getting systematically downvoted... even though this story is way more interesting than 99.99% of what passes for good content on reddit - but that's another story.

They are so close to reaching $50,000, and might get up to $60,000, but getting all the way to $80,000 will take a huge break.

I hope the developer continues on in spite of this. I think this Kickstarter did very well considering the low coverage it got outside of this community. There are a lot of confounding variables that prevent this from being a good test of the market for this game. Some people are turned off/confused by Kickstarter, some people won't support a kickstarter if it doesn't look like it will make it, some people won't support a project if there's doubt that it will even get finished, etc...

That all being said, there's still some hope to be had to get this project completely funded. If we all continue to pass the link around outside of this community, we could get the big break that this project needs. We only need about 650 people pledging to buy the game to reach the funding goal.

I finally backed the game today. On top of that, I posted it to my twitter and facebook. I have a lot of non-theme park friends but they still played RCT back in the day. Maybe 1 or 2 will jump on. I should of done this weeks ago.

I'll be throwing in a donation of $100 within the next few days. I'd really like see this project succeed, but I also wouldn't mind helping design a flat ride either.

EDIT:

Anyone here know anyone who works for or with IGN? If it could end up there, it would achieve success very easily I think.

Does anyone know how the design of a flat ride will work for the kickstarter pledgers? Do we say what kind of roller coaster or flat ride we want and the artists make it from scratch for you like the ones already in the game?. I mean the game has 30 flat rides in the platinum, if over 100 people backed the $100 and above tiers which include 2 coasters and 2 flat rides of peoples choice, I can't see how the artists would be able to make 200 new rides for everyone. Or do we make it ourselves and then the artists of TPS help clean it up? Either way i've pledged $100 because I want to see this made (plus Hyper Rails again ) but I was just curious.

Edit: Just saw the answer had been posted on the kick-starter comments page the day after I changed my pledge TPS creators posted this: you don't really have to design anything, it could be as simple as saying "Can you make a Scrambler" and then we'd have someone make that flat ride for the game.

So for everyone that pledges $100 will result in one extra flat ride or coaster train for the game for everyone since it'll go on the website for everyone to download, a bargain considering among other things you'll still be on the beta test.

Someone just pledged $3500!!

That's awesome! I hope we see a few more of those!

There was only 1 spot available for that tier so I wonder if people would still back that much, I've never used kickstarter before does it let people reserve a tier if its sold out and the original backer backs out for whatever reason? Like when ebay would go back to the second highest bidder, I'd hate to see someone pull out last minute of one of the higher tiers and no-one else had backed it because it was "all gone", with it looking like it could come right down to the wire, anybody changing down their pledge, could put it under the limit.

Theme Park Studio just posted this:

Facebook friends, please listen up! This Kickstarter is going to be VERY VERY close. Take a look at the image below at how we were trending in the morning, and then again a few hours later.

Please remember that Kickstarter is an "All or Nothing" system. Meaning even if we get to $75k, there is nothing charged and no funding for Theme Park Studio.

So please, back us, help us make this happen. We don't want this to be "close", we want to trend well above our goal so we can make the best theme park game for all of you!

Thank you!

936881_635923219755524_968919554_n.jpg

Theme Park Studio just updated Kickstarter! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1011099242/theme-park-studio-create-the-ultimate-theme-park/posts/476975 This update is really awesome! It shows off how you layout a park, pathways, add trees, objects, etc.

PLEASE BACK THEM!!!

Kickstarter is an "All or Nothing" system. If they don't make the $80k, nothing is charged and there is no funding for Theme Park Studio.

test3a.thumb.jpg.a517101ed0f387444826f6fdf6901cf9.jpg

test10a.thumb.jpg.08c31d8c2a223274340d48bbece1c888.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

Anyone here know anyone who works for or with IGN? If it could end up there, it would achieve success very easily I think.

IGN has already been contacted.

Ah okay. I was just wondering because I hadn't seen any coverage on it there yet. Good to hear we may see something in the next few days. That publicity would really help.

Upped mine to $100, best I can do now. I really want to see this game happen.

Hmmm, what do I want to design for the game... Gotta see what's already in it first, I guess! But, any park I build is going to need an Enterprise...

I'm honestly a little worried about the Kickstarter not making it, so I'm trying to spread the word to everybody I know.

I'm planning on donating $50 myself.

SOMEWHAT IMPORTANT EDIT:

I took a sample in the last hour and found that 140 more dollars were donated. If we keep this up, by the time the 9 days are over, $26,880 more dollars will be added. This is more than enough to let it pass Kickstarter, so I'm not as worried now.