TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Studio (TPS) Discussion Thread

I'm excited to see how this turns out, especially after people have had a year or so to make their own hacks and objects for it. I've tried No Limits and RCT3 but as of now I don't think there's ever been a more realistic theme park game than RCT2 (the coasters are much more realistic in No Limits but you can't have a functioning park or any other type of ride). A new, realistic 3d theme park game has been a long time coming.

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very excited for this. I loved RCT3, but every time I try to get back into it I feel a little let down and I just go back to playing NoLimits.

Here is what would make the game perfect for me;

-Google Sketchup Support

-Peeps please! Theme parks are not just about the ride, but the atmosphere and energy of the guests!

-Scenarios would be cool, or some form of currency. I like the business side of things, fun IMO.

-Import Music via mp3, or have access to my iTunes Library

-If you could work out a way to import NoLimits element files, that would be awesome! That way people can decide to get very intricate if they so choose.

-Built in Video/Screenshots so people can share via FB or YouTube (free marketing?).

-Free updates as new coaster models/ride types are released to market.

-"Robb Alvey"/"Elissa Alvey" as Cheat Codes (or just have it do something cool... for example, "Elissa Alvey" Turns your Peep into a shark. "Robb Alvey" makes your peep yell "TWISTY," "TPR" Could give 50 Random Guests TPR T-Shirts)

Thought of another to add...

Much like the ability to place a track piece and then manipulate its properties afterwards, I think that the same should be with buildings and vegetation. So instead of having all different heights of walls and curvatures, which often requires massive amounts of separate objects and eats up space and leads to lag, we can have a few base objects that can be altered before and after placing them in the game.

We place a tree, and can then choose how full we want the branches, or how tall we want it to be. Or we place a wall and then can alter its texture and height. This is common in nearly every architectural program and makes it possible to create pretty much every building that ever was!

I really enjoy the molding aspect of coaster design you've implemented, and I hope it carries over into other aspects of the game.

And still, above all, user customization is what this game should be about. It looks like you're appealing to the 1% and not so much the mass public, so I hope that the game allows for us to add pretty much whatever our heart desires.

Very excited to hear of this new game! I have two main questions:

1) I'm a RCT3 addict (like many others on this forum) so I'm really hoping for a full theme park simulation with guests and control over operations. Will those features be available?

2) Will you make the game available on Steam? That would be awesome!

Im not going to lie I've always wanted a from of multiplayer that allows you to go and enjoy others parks! Also I would love to see a way to walk around as a guest and experience the park from a guest's POV. My last request would be for guests you need guests to add realism to the game! Overall, I'm very excited for this game and can't wait for it to be available for the public

As with everyone else, a happy medium between RCT and NoLimits in terms of coaster editing so we don't spend three weeks making a kiddie coaster, but can sink some time into rides if desired.

I would also ask for something that isn't going to need the latest and greatest PC to have the game look good and or function at all.

The two most important things for me are that people are able to ride your coaster (like the RCT series) and that some amount of scenery/building is able to be done. Like making buildings/stations/queue lines/foliage. One of my favorite things about RCT was that you would be able to make the station and design the actual scenery all around the ride. The building of the ride was cool too though .

I cannot wait to see how this turns out! To me some of the biggest things are being able to actually make an entire park with food stands,entertainment shows,flat rides,rollercoasters and the biggest thing i can see on here is the ability to have PEOPLE in your park! Thats why RCT3 was so awsome! Now Nolimits was better for building rollercoasters because of its realism.

I have a question of what types of rides(rollercoasters) will be in it? We can see from the video your having Arrow Style, but will there be a bigger variety?

Also, in the video, is there banking that you can do on turns or is how it is in the video, how it is?

Oh man I simply had to make an account in order to reply to this awesome news! My theme park simulator of choice is RCT3. back in my school days I would build my own theme parks and recreate existing parks as well, though never completed them. Usually going back and forth into the game. Now seeing this there's no limit to what I can make that is theme park related and can't wait a minute more till this game comes out!

Here's my requests that should be implemented into the game, sorry if they've already been repeated.

-Full customization of paths! I can't stress this enough, the Grid on RCT3 is very limiting and even though custom scenery helps hide it, the people still tend to go through objects placed over these custom objects so curved paths and plazas would be great to have!

-easily able to transfer custom scenery. its very complicated to transfer CS into RCT3 hopefully this new game adds an easy flow to add our own objects. speaking of CS can you make it accessible for all rendered files like obj. I know Sketch up is the go to program for RCT3 but it would be great to have to use advanced 3D software like Maya or 3D Max.

-dark rides. sure there are CS to make dark rides, but you don't usually get the full effect when riding them like adding UV lights and timed animated sequences.

-allow all objects to intersect. another example how the grid in RCT3 can be very limiting. trying to work with the objects that come with the game limits the look of the area your trying to theme since objects take up specific squares of the grid and won't allow other objects to share the space with. hopefully this won't be an issue for this game.

PARADES! its nothing major but it would be nice to see a parade marching down your own mainstreet. fully customizable parade route and able to import your own floats as well.

I've read through all the posts and I think there is some really GREAT feedback in here! I do, however, want to really help you guys focus on what's REALLY important. For example, when I read things like wanting "Realistic ride ops that check restraints" and "Parades", I really just have to ask... "Really? Is that what you think it's MOST important to the game? Realistic ride ops that check restraints?"

There's a lot of great feedback on the "core" functionality of the game, and while I get that a lot of you want to list everything, as someone who spent 22 years developing games, I can tell you that having a ride op that checks a restraint more of a "wish list" or polish item, after the core game has been developed, tuned, and has had several iterations.

I can tell you my most important "core features" would be:

1. An intuitive interface that will let me design fairly realistic roller coasters without much headache. RCT 1 & 2 was very easy for me to make rides, and there were a lot of "pieces" I could use to create them. The ride physics seemed "real enough" to me that I didn't laugh at it. NoLimits is just too complex for something I'm going to spend time on, and it's because if it's complexity that I've never played it. IMO, don't try to be NoLimits - they already do a good job with their product. Stick to being more like RCT with a *bit* more realism and I think that's a win!

2. The ability to visit other players parks. I believe this is already on your list, but as simple as it sounds, I want to be able to have "friends" parks that I can click on, go walk around it, and ride their rides and coasters.

3. Ability to import user-generated content. I feel this is very important! If someone wants to spend the time to make a flat ride, roller coaster train, park scenery, floor textures, etc, it's a great way for your game to constantly be updated with content created by other people...and it's FREE!

4. Realistic rides - An Arrow train should look like an Arrow train. A HUSS Frisbee should look like a HUSS Frisbee. A B&M Invert should look like a B&M invert, etc. Does it have to be detailed out to the nth degree with every single bolt being totally accurate? No. But it should really *look* like them. Personally, I think the RCT series did a good job with them.

5. A good variety of coaster types and rides at product launch, and continue to release more as downloadable content. And this includes a number of coasters, flat rides, transportation rides, water rides, etc.

6. Most important - POLISH! I would rather have a game that only has three REALLY WELL POLISHED coaster types at launch, than have 10 coaster types that feel unfinished. As long as you can get even ONE coaster type polished really, really well, it gives your game credibility that will be GREAT and additional coaster types will be worth the wait!

Things like "ride ops" and "parades" would be nice... eventually, but I think it's so important to polish those core game elements first. Remember that RCT and NoLimits have had YEARS to develop, so at launch of your product, your competition will be tough and your critics even tougher.

But if you can show enough of the game to convince players that "WOW! This is really going to be something to watch", I really think you'll have a pretty big audience for something like this.

Anyone agree/disagree with these points?

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

^ Yep. 100% agree. RCT 1&2 were great games that were grounded in somewhat realistic coaster and ride designs (even if it was cartoonish), the only big drawback was that it wasn't 3D and you couldn't ride the coasters/walk around the parks. RCT 3 added those, but became too fake and cartoonish. Just making a modern 3D/POV version of RCT2 would be a huge win.

The people clamoring for these ultra-real things like ride ops and importable trees that change color should probably just learn CAD and MAYA or something.

Personally, I agree. RCT3 has almost everything to build an entire park, and NL has everything to build a smooth, realistic ride. If they can integrate just a bit of NL to make the ride look smooth, without being a headache to build, I would definitely play this game way more often than I play RCT3.

I think being able to do what you want, how you want is what would really sell me the game.

I don't think that is a very realistic feature, nor will it really help the developers. What do you even mean by this? Like you want cows to be able to ride roller coasters? And Log Flume boats to look like electric chairs?

Ok, that actually sounds kinda awesome.

But you know what I mean.

In order to develop a game like this, you need to have a feature set and guidelines of what the players can do.

Saying a key feature is to "do whatever you want" I don't think is actually helpful.

--Robb

Of course, most of what I said was more wishful thinking than something that I hope would actually come true. Writing code for something like the ride ops would be a real pain had it not already been started in the development phase (and is probably unlikely to happen at this point) but you never know if some crazy idea someone has can end up becoming a reality. Also, if this does well, it might give some nice thoughts for sequels.

Also, I have heard quite a few people complain about the graphics. Honestly, I do not really see anything wrong with them, as they seem to be a step up from RCT3. If they were any stronger, I feel the game would just lag too much with large parks, (like RCT3 already does).

The bottom line is, this could be one of the worst looking games in years (which it is not), and lack most of the requests on this forum, and it would still be one of the best things to happen to this gaming market in the past half-decade.

If the game had all of those things you listed Robb, I'd seriously line up like those people did for Call of Duty 143 (or whatever it was).

And I'd be totally fine with 3-4 coaster designs at launch as long as you also had the rest of the park that you could design as well. It honestly takes a few weeks at least to get the design aspect of any new game down (at least for me since I don't play as much anymore) and by the time you'd get used to the controls, hopefully some other designs would be available for download.

The most important thing, as you said, is that the designs look good and work well. If you have 30 different designs but only 3-4 look good and work as well as they should then it's pointless. Roll out designs when they are done. Period.

If mesh importing and custom objects are to be a main feature, I also hope that information is fairly public on how to 'do it'. With previous games it took hard hours of work for people to figure out how to add custom content, hopefully that isn't the case with this game.

I would like it if the game implemented a hint of realism. Guests taking in 12.6 g's and walking off from the extreme forces is just not right. If you open a ride like that or is just to rough or even if its not complete, the people should, (whats another word for die) get knocked out, and bad publicity will reign your park for a while. Of course, that is just a suggestion.

@Robb

1. Yes you're right the coaster designer in the RCT series is very simple and easy to work with but not intuitive enough to add complicated designs. Maybe to invite all types of gamers there can be an advanced/beginner mode for players to access for roller coaster build modes. Sort of how RCT3 has an advanced fireworks and water show editor, only in Theme park studio its a toggle switch instead of having to type in a password every time you boot up the game.

2. This is a must for this game! having live feedback among your friends online while you build can be a great addition. if its possible perhaps you can make it so that people are able to build in real-time for one park online. It would make joint build projects that much easier. just like minecraft

3. We have this with RCT3 but its not an official thing and its spread all through the internet in different sites. so an offcial website where one can find all the CS ever made will be much easier. also have it so that its easier for custom scenery makers to transfer their creations in-game. looking through countless tutorials and downloading unlicensed programs that enable you to transfer the objects can be a hassle.

4. agreed!

5. agreed!

6. agreed!

As for parades. It would be a nice scenery addition making it more like a theme park. as stated, make it more like RCT3 and not like no-limits. adding parades to the game would give it more of a feel towards being a Theme Park simulator instead of a coaster builder like No-limits is. Adding a parade route would be how RCT3 added fireworks, water shows and laser lights giving it more of that theme park feel. If there's not enough time to add this feature to the game before release then it can be an add-on for later so there's time for the game to be polished and perfect.

The thing I like about RCT3 is once your Park is built and the peeps walk around, sharing their opinions about the rides and scenery gives you that sense of accomplishment. Its even better when you post it online and make a video of your fully themed ride or park and receive positive feedback for all your hard work and that's what I'm hoping to see in this upcoming game. just with better customization!

Something that I would love to see in the game at the some point down the line is realistic days and seasons. For days, something that annoys me in RCT2 is that when you close a park it takes peeps forever to get out. I think it would be great to set up certain hours when the park opens and closes, and when it closes the peeps actually leave. For seasons, to go along with holiday events which someone brought up, it'd be cool to see the park weather reflect this, like getting darker earlier in the fall, snowing in the winter, raining more in the spring etc. Obviously these aren't top priority things that should be addressed right away, but features like these that would add more realism to the game are great to me since I always like trying to make realistic parks.

^ I'm going to post this again, because "fading paint" again seems really "wish list" or an "add-on" after the game has been released and there have been updates. Please remember the original question - What is MOST IMPORTANT to you. This game hasn't been released yet, and on day one, what are the KEY FEATURES you want to see in the game that would make you stick with it, keep playing, and download future updates. Again...

KEY FEATURES!!!

I've read through all the posts and I think there is some really GREAT feedback in here! I do, however, want to really help you guys focus on what's REALLY important. For example, when I read things like wanting "Realistic ride ops that check restraints" and "Parades", I really just have to ask... "Really? Is that what you think it's MOST important to the game? Realistic ride ops that check restraints?"

There's a lot of great feedback on the "core" functionality of the game, and while I get that a lot of you want to list everything, as someone who spent 22 years developing games, I can tell you that having a ride op that checks a restraint more of a "wish list" or polish item, after the core game has been developed, tuned, and has had several iterations.

I can tell you my most important "core features" would be:

1. An intuitive interface that will let me design fairly realistic roller coasters without much headache. RCT 1 & 2 was very easy for me to make rides, and there were a lot of "pieces" I could use to create them. The ride physics seemed "real enough" to me that I didn't laugh at it. NoLimits is just too complex for something I'm going to spend time on, and it's because if it's complexity that I've never played it. IMO, don't try to be NoLimits - they already do a good job with their product. Stick to being more like RCT with a *bit* more realism and I think that's a win!

2. The ability to visit other players parks. I believe this is already on your list, but as simple as it sounds, I want to be able to have "friends" parks that I can click on, go walk around it, and ride their rides and coasters.

3. Ability to import user-generated content. I feel this is very important! If someone wants to spend the time to make a flat ride, roller coaster train, park scenery, floor textures, etc, it's a great way for your game to constantly be updated with content created by other people...and it's FREE!

4. Realistic rides - An Arrow train should look like an Arrow train. A HUSS Frisbee should look like a HUSS Frisbee. A B&M Invert should look like a B&M invert, etc. Does it have to be detailed out to the nth degree with every single bolt being totally accurate? No. But it should really *look* like them. Personally, I think the RCT series did a good job with them.

5. A good variety of coaster types and rides at product launch, and continue to release more as downloadable content. And this includes a number of coasters, flat rides, transportation rides, water rides, etc.

6. Most important - POLISH! I would rather have a game that only has three REALLY WELL POLISHED coaster types at launch, than have 10 coaster types that feel unfinished. As long as you can get even ONE coaster type polished really, really well, it gives your game credibility that will be GREAT and additional coaster types will be worth the wait!

Things like "ride ops" and "parades" would be nice... eventually, but I think it's so important to polish those core game elements first. Remember that RCT and NoLimits have had YEARS to develop, so at launch of your product, your competition will be tough and your critics even tougher.

But if you can show enough of the game to convince players that "WOW! This is really going to be something to watch", I really think you'll have a pretty big audience for something like this.

Anyone agree/disagree with these points?

--Robb