TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official Mitch Hawker 2012 Wood Coaster Poll Thread!

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm particularly happy for Boulder Dash (4), Tremors (20), and Coaster (28). Also glad SCBB Dipper stayed in the top 50 once again, since it always seems so close to being nudged out.

Anyone notice any precipitous climbs or drops this time around? I didn't see anything too extreme at first glance.

^Timberhawk at Wild Waves managed to climb 14 spots. Five years ago, it was in the bottom twenty of woodies (No. 157), it's managed to climb to No.107 this year (only woodie I see that's jumped that far -- 50 spots -- out of the bottom). I don't quite know how this poll works but I'm guessing this is probably due to increased ridership/more riders realizing that this is a relatively decent woodies compared to others.

Only other thing I noticed is that Clementon's Hellcat has been on the continued decline as the park can't quite figure out how to help this coaster age well. It used to be top 40 five years ago, now it's no. 78.

For those who've had the chance to ride Dauling Dragon, do you agree that the left-hand side track is (ever-so-slightly) better?

One side was a bit smoother, but not enough for me to rank one over the other. I felt the layout and design was pretty much identical, and if you average the two out, I felt they were exactly the same.

I'm assuming one side ran slightly rougher than the other because maybe one side is used more often (apparently, they don't run both tracks unless it's VERY busy), or maybe one side's trains just got some maintenance, I dunno.

I rode front, back, and middle of both trains and I just didn't seem to notice THAT much of a difference.

--Robb "I ranked them both exactly the same..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Yay! T Express got second place (didn't expect it to win due to its location but El Toro is another ride I'd rank up there with it ) Pretty good list, it is definitely way more accurate and fair then the Golden Tickets.

It's always interesting to see how rides change from year to year, even if the majority of changes are small. I also like to compare each year's rankings with my personal rankings to see which rides I like significantly better than the majority of enthusiasts. This year the results are pretty close, with Wooden Warrior being the only highly ranked coaster I've been on that isn't in my top ten (although I've always felt that particularly ride to be overrated by enthusiasts). If you count only the coasters I've been on, the only other ones that were more than five spots off my personal rankings are Cedar Point's Blue Streak (I rank that one a bit lower), Kings Dominion's Grizzly, Mighty Canadian Minebuster, and Thunder Road (all of which I rank a bit higher). Finally, I've been on 5 of the top twenty and 2 of the bottom ten.

Glad to see El Toro win again, as well as the high placement of some very out of the way woodies. This poll gives every ride a fair chance at getting a good ranking, even if only a relatively small number of voters have experienced it. That's why it's the best and most accurate coaster poll out there. Hopefully the steel poll is available soon, as I'm quite interested to see where some of the new steel coasters of the past couple years end up.

^Timberhawk at Wild Waves managed to climb 14 spots.

Can't say I get this. Sometimes when I ride it, there's a decent amount of mild airtime, whereas other times, it's almost completely tame. I can see the idea that maybe others, like me, simply find it "okay."

Dear every park GM:

Build more Intamin pre-fab woodies. The results speak for themselves. And although the initial cost is higher, I imagine the long term maintenance costs are much lower.

^^^ Joris en de Draak at Efteling, with Water falling 17 spots (19-36) and Fire falling 11 spots (29-40). I'm curious as to how the twin GCIs would fall so quickly in their early years.

Think that's because they were over appreciated in the opening years. Now the hype is gone and I'll move down on the chart.

Luna Park's Scenic Railway has gone from 107th to 129th. It might be 101 years old, but just goes to show that age doesn't earn you any respect in this industry.

It was always pretty average with a great "scenic" view. My favorite part, when you unexpectedly get constant pockets of airtime at the last bit, due to the roughness on the home straight.

Always fun to read the results. Can't argue with #1, and it continues to amaze me why more of these coasters have not been built. The only thing that sticks out to me is the continued over-hype of Voyage. It is no where near a Top 10 coaster. It gave one of the worst coaster rides of my life the last time I rode it. Like Ghostrider level bad.

I don't understand how GCI El Toro and Troy rank the highest of the GCI's though!?!? Not even close. Perhaps this is another example of the Europeans trying really hard to get their coasters in the top?

I don't get this either. Troy has always been vastly overrated for some reason. Your theory might be right.

dt

Always fun to read the results. Can't argue with #1, and it continues to amaze me why more of these coasters have not been built. The only thing that sticks out to me is the continued over-hype of Voyage. It is no where near a Top 10 coaster. It gave one of the worst coaster rides of my life the last time I rode it. Like Ghostrider level bad.

I don't understand how GCI El Toro and Troy rank the highest of the GCI's though!?!? Not even close. Perhaps this is another example of the Europeans trying really hard to get their coasters in the top?

I don't get this either. Troy has always been vastly overrated for some reason. Your theory might be right.

dt

I liked Troy quite a bit, but I agree that there are better GCI coasters out there. As for Voyage, I understood why people loved it back in in 2009, but my opinion changed drastically a year later.

Edited by cfc

dt

I would say that the reason for that is simply because most Europeans have not ridden anything else than the wooden coasters that are here in Europe, witch works in favor of the rides over here.

^You have to consider the CF ones were built nearly 10 years after the SF ones. That's ten years of better engineering, less wear and tear, etc.

Some of the recent SF-owned GCIs opened the same years or close to the CF-owned GCIs...looking at how Apocalypse and American Thunder sit lower than Prowler and Renegade.

I know the two Roars sit lower due to their age, features and such...notice Roar West ranks higher than Roar East...which I hear is pretty bad.

dt

It's not over-hype. Some of us absolutely love it. It's precisely its balls to the wall out of control feeling that I love about it. Honestly, no woodie I've ridden comes even close to it, in my mind. And yes, I've been on ALL of the top 10.

We just have differnet tastes in woodies.

Voyage was in my top ten in 2009. It dropped to 36th place in later polls (I now prefer Legend to Voyage). It's just too much of a Jekyll-and-Hyde experience for me to rank it any higher. I was rather shocked at the difference between rides I took in 2009 and 2010 (the last time I visited Holiday World).

Have they fixed it since then? I hope so.

Edited by cfc

Besides differing tastes in coasters, I another big factor in how much people like or dislike Voyage is in when you ride it.

Most of the biggest "Voyage fanboys", myself included, tend to go during Holiwood Nights or similar events. Not only does going to the event tend to make us more of fanboys, but those of us who already were fanboys (or even those of us who were already fanboys of Raven and/or Legend, before we first rode Voyage) know that's the best time to go to the park.

Going then has two very big advantages. For one thing, it's early in the season, so the trains haven't had the chance to beat up the track as much yet. And late nighttime ERT just kicks Voyage up into a totally different level. So, you're getting crazier, wilder rides with less of the bad roughness.

If you've gone during any other time, you're not getting either of these big advantages. And if I'm not mistaken, the TPR trips that have gone to HW have been later in the season and have not had any nighttime ERT, right?

Now, it's fair for some to say that a coaster that doesn't perform well all the time doesn't deserve a top spot, but I'll disagree with this. I only judge a coaster based on the rides I actually got on it. And since I never go during the reagular season when there isn't an event and rarely ride the coasters there early in the day, it doesn't matter to me at all how they perform then! But others, of course, are free to judge their coasters any way they like.