TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official Mitch Hawker 2012 Wood Coaster Poll Thread!

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's interesting that Voyage continues to rank as high as it does even though it seems like I've read nothing but poor reviews of how rough that thing has become the past couple of years. I would still rank it in my top 5 based on my rides from about 5 years ago (haven't been back since) but don't know if I would rate it as highly in it's current condition.

Same. I loved Voyage when I first rode it in spring 2009, but it was horrible and painful in August 2010 (but I understand they've done some work on it since). Aside from that, the top ten looks pretty solid to--glad to see the Chinese coasters doing so well (they were, for the most part, excellent rides last September).

What did people think of how Voyage ran in 2012? We rode it during opening weekend in May. Although it was VERY smooth, it felt sluggish overall. I assume it needed to break the new track sections in a bit.

I visited a few more times throughout the season, and I thought it ran really well overall. The retracked sections stayed very smooth, and although it did seem a little slower, the airtime was still there, so I wasn't complaining!

Sometimes I look at the original POV from 2006 and I think "How in the world did it run so freaking FAST that first year??" Despite the fact that it hasn't ever run that fast since, it's still a darn good ride to me. Holiday World continues to take care of it the best they can (they posted a retracking update on their facebook a few days ago). Plus, the timberliners ARE on sight and were reportedly testing for a few weeks this past fall, and will continue testing in March. Here's hoping they actually do run on the Voyage this season.

Back to the poll results. I really like the turnout this year! Looks like I've only ridden two of the top 10. I need to get my butt to more parks!

Interesting results. I agree with the #1, El Toro. It's my number 1 as well. I can't say anything about #2 or 3 because I haven't been on them. As far as Boulder Dash, #4, it's my number 2. So far everything on the list falls in line with my list.

But then to see Balder at #6 ... well, I hear it had the wheels changed or something and in turn made it less agressive. Because when I rode it over the summer for the first time, it didn't pack the punch I was expecting. Yeah, it had airtime. But nothing forceful. It was like the ride was just going through the motions. Nothing about it made me think "this ride wants me to die by ripping me out of my seat." (A feeling I get on El Toro and Boulder Dash).

Also surprised to see Renegade so far up the list. I haven't been on it since 2007 ... so maybe I'm forgetting how good it is. But I'd place Apocalypse above it.

And wow, Colossus at SFMM is up rather high. Kinda cool to see that.

Anyways, just my take on a few things.

Edited by metrock

I'm once again surprised that Coaster is nowhere near the top 10.

Coasters in remote areas will not make big moves unless new enthusiasts visit the area. Only 30 people (of 635) ranked Coaster for 2012. Having five seasoned enthusiasts ride it for the first time and ranking it near the yop would swing the results. I'm waiting for the link to the total coaster mutual ratings to be available to say who Coaster lost to with its 138-23-6 record.

Edited by larrygator

I'm once again surprised that Coaster is nowhere near the top 10.

I really like "Coaster" a lot, and I rank it #25 on my list (which is pretty high up considering) so I think it sits quite well where it does. I mean, it's in the top 30 in the world out of 168, and being kind of an obscure ride, I think that speaks volumes.

I will say it's been 10 years since I last rode it, and I'd like to get back to it again to see how it's held up...

I don't really understand why anyone thinks that Boulder Dash is better than Phoenix but to each his (or her) own. Both are great coasters.

It's great to see El Toro at number one again. It's easily my favorite wood coaster. I don't understand why more Intamin woodies haven't popped up since they built El Toro and it's had such overwhelming success.

I agree with you on that, Intamin should be building more pre-fabs but its what the parks want, so i dont know why parks dont want them?! They are sweet

$$$$$$$$$ Is the main reason. Prefabricated Wooden Coasters take far more skill to craft and construct than an ordinary wooden coaster.

It's starting to look like Anaconda is taking Grizzly's place as the legendary "Worst wooden coaster in the world".

I agree that CGA's Grizzly belongs in the bottom ten, but mainly because it's just plain boring. Anaconda and Bandit are brutal and are more deserving of the "worst wood coaster" label.

But then to see Balder at #6 ... well, I hear it had the wheels changed or something and in turn made it less agressive. Because when I rode it over the summer for the first time, it didn't pack the punch I was expecting. Yeah, it had airtime. But nothing forceful. It was like the ride was just going through the motions. Nothing about it made me think "this ride wants me to die by ripping me out of my seat." (A feeling I get on El Toro and Boulder Dash).

Bummer. I thought it was quite forceful in 2009, even during rides early on in the day. Based on those rides, I still prefer it to El Toro because it has more airtime hills and doesn't have that middle section that El Toro has that is relatively dull compared to the rest of the ride.

It's starting to look like Anaconda is taking Grizzly's place as the legendary "Worst wooden coaster in the world".

I agree that CGA's Grizzly belongs in the bottom ten, but mainly because it's just plain boring. Anaconda and Bandit are brutal and are more deserving of the "worst wood coaster" label.

Oddly enough, Anaconda wasn't nearly as brutal this year as it was in the past. It would seem as though they have slowed it down, which helped with the roughness, but made it even more boring!

But then to see Balder at #6 ... well, I hear it had the wheels changed or something and in turn made it less agressive. Because when I rode it over the summer for the first time, it didn't pack the punch I was expecting. Yeah, it had airtime. But nothing forceful.

The wheel change happened for a short time in 2007, but then were changed back. Last time we rode it the ride was still BALLS OUT and gave El Toro a run for it's #1 spot. I have yet to hear anyone recently report what you are reporting, so I'm looking forward to riding it again in 2014 to see for myself. Given how well Colossos was still running this past year, and it's even older than Balder, I find it hard to believe that there would be that significant of a change in the behaviour of the ride.

Maybe some of our local Sweden people can let us know if it's running better or worse than it was in '09 or '10 or if there have been any significant changes to the ride?

Edited by robbalvey

For those who've had the chance to ride Dauling Dragon, do you agree that the left-hand side track is (ever-so-slightly) better?

Yes--the right side beats you up a bit, but the left side is smoother.

Edited by cfc

No, it isn't.

I completely forgot about Aska - for those of you who have ridden it, is it essentially everything that the Coney Island Cyclone should be but better (considering that it has a Cyclone layout)?