TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Launches on Mac App Store

Hey everyone!

This one goes out to all the Mac users out there - after a long hiatus due to the Mac OS 10.7 upgrade dropping Rosetta support, RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 has launched on the Mac App Store for $29.99.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rollercoastertycoon-3-platinum/id549294099?mt=12

It requires Mac OS X 10.7.5 or higher.

Here are the rest of the system requirements as stated on the app's page -

In order to run the game with satisfactory performance, your Mac must meet these minimum system requirements: 2.0 GHz CPU Speed | 2 GB RAM | 2 GB free disk space | (ATI): Radeon HD 2600; (NVidia): GeForce 8600 | 256 MB VRam

Supported Video cards:

NVIDIA GeForce 8600, 8800, 9400, 9600, GT 120, 320M, 330M, 650M

ATI Radeon HD 2600, HD 3870, HD 4670, HD 4850, HD 5670, HD 5750, HD 5770, HD 5870, HD 6490, HD 6630, HD 6750, HD 6770, HD 6970

Intel HD Graphics 3000,4000

Recommended System Requirements:

CPU Speed: Intel Quad Core 2.6 GHz | Memory: 4 GB or higher | Video RAM: 512 MB

NOTICE: Apple Intel Chipsets only.

NOTICE: This game is not supported on volumes formatted as Mac OS Extended (CaseSensitive)

If anyone decides to buy the game from the Mac App Store, please post here and tell us what you think! I personally want to know how custom scenery is handled - I'm assuming you just go to "show package contents" but I'm not sure.

It should be noted that RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 Platinum for the Mac App Store has been published by Aspyr Media and NOT by Atari. Aspyr is responsible for various Mac ports of games such as the Call of Duty series and the Civilization series.

Edited by A.J.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.

I think I might get myself an early X-mas present. Man, the last time I played RCT3 is coming up on 4 years when I transfered to a Mac. Lets hope I still remember how the game runs! I would like to get my paws into some of these TPR competitions...

Personally, I feel like a MacBook Pro's built-in mouse-pad would hinder playing RCT3. An external mouse may be the best way to play the game.

Reason #743 why running Windows on your Mac is probably a waste

Honestly - this just made my day! I was just glancing down the forums and saw this - wow!

I've searched off and on around the Ap Store in the past and it wasn't there - and, for simplicity, didn't want to be forced to run Windows (ugh) on my Mac just to play RCT

I'm also one of those folks who haven't played in years - looking forward to getting back into the game

Thanks for the great news!

It doesn't look like there is any difference. I believe that a Mac version was not available on the Steam store for a very long while, but I'm not sure. The description of specs on the Steam store is exactly the same as it is on the Mac App Store.

• 4 weeks later...

If you two-finger/right click the app and go to "Show Package Contents" then "Contents" then "Resources", you should be able to install custom content like you would on the Windows game. Mac App Store apps have to be self-contained, so I'm pretty sure that RCT3 won't make any extra folders like the original Mac CD did.

But, if you're holding out on someone to test this for you, you are A) not willing to give the developers your support even though you probably have been wanting to play RCT3 again since Mac OS X 10.7 and/or B) missing the entire point behind the game.

I personally haven't bought it myself because I don't play RCT3 much anymore and my Windows side still has it installed.

Edited by A.J.

• 1 month later...

Found out that if you bought the Steam version, it works across both platforms! I was browsing through my Library list the other day on my Mac Mini and noticed it listed RCT3 as a game to install! Think I may throw that on my MacBook for whenever I get bored at school or something.