TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster Expedition or RAW? What should we make next?

What DVD series should we focus on next?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. What DVD series should we focus on next?

• Roller Coasters in the RAW
    • Coaster Expedition

My vote was for expedition. You guys probably have some hidden gem footage somewhere from the past couple years, but more importantly, I think it's the expedition series that put you guys on the map. It would sort of be like a throwback, and also a homage to what makes this website so great: HUMOR!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The expedition series are just plain fun. While the RAW set of DVDs are nice to have, I'm able to show my family possible park destinations and vacation spots instead of just all the rides that I want to ride with Coaster Expedition DVDs.

How about having some sort of "viewers choice all-stars" edition of RC in the Raw? People can vote for the top 15 wood and top 15 steel that they'd like to see, and the we won't know the results until you release the DVD...gets people invested in the product.

Funny that you mention this...

One of the ideas that I originally had for this year's RAW when I wasn't sure I'd have enough new footage was to do a sort of "best of..." compilation. I also realized that in order to do that, there are a few of the USA's top coasters I'd need to go re-shoot in HD so that idea also had to be put on the back burner for now...

I like the idea of getting people's input though....

Definitely more Coaster Expedition, the first ones really sparked my interest in coasters. The Raw DVDs/Blu Rays, although great quality, are a collection of what I watch on my phone when I have a few minutes to spare, and don't convey what makes TPR so unique. I suppose the Raw series is much more marketable to a wider audience though.

I voted for Coaster Expedition. While I truly love the RAW DVDs, I feel that the world is due for a Coaster Expedition DVD. Although I have no idea what TPR trip would be in the next Coaster Expedition DVD but I don't think it really matters. I have yet to see a Coaster Expedition DVD that I haven't enjoyed. Hell, I haven't seen a TPR DVD (or VHS) that I haven't enjoyed.

Jimmy "Bring on the Coaster Expedition" Bo

Interesting results on the poll. I thought the Raw dvds sold far more than the Expedition ones.

They do! Probably 25 to 1 if not more. But perhaps since it's been two years since the last Coaster Expedition, maybe it's time for another one?

Although I have no idea what TPR trip would be in the next Coaster Expedition DVD but I don't think it really matters.

We have a TON of really good footage from our 2009 trips: Scandi, West Coast, Texas, Deep South, and some decent footage from some of our 2010 trips: UK, Middle America Oktoberfest.

I really didn't shoot much "Coaster Expedition" stuff in 2011 or 2012, so I'll have to go back a couple of years, but like you said, I'm not sure it really matters.

Edited by robbalvey

I voted Coaster Expedition. They are just so much fun to watch with all of the people, different rides and attractions, antics, and fun music in them. Coasters are my favorite thing in parks, but it'd be a nice change-up from the RAW videos to get an updated overview of some of the parks visited. I still watch the older Coaster Expedition videos cause I'm so hungry for fun, lol. Don't get me wrong though, I love the RAW videos, too. I buy them all... Coaster Expedition and RAW!

I vote for IN THE RAW. I much prefer natural sounds over that hideous music.

This is one of those posts that really makes no sense to me. (I'm not a moderator or anything so, feel free to delete it at will, as I am just spit balling here.)

With that said, I respect your preference for "In the Raw." But then you had to go and subtitle your statement with a slightly biased jab. Is there any reason you couldn't have said, "I much prefer natural sounds over the music video style of the CE videos." This is a non-judgemental, non-pointed statement. Your statement sounds like you just had to say something about a music selection that you didn't exactly care for. Great. You didn't like the music. So be it. Does that really make it hideous? Not necessarily. What is hideous to one is Beethoven to another. As innocent as your statement probably was, did you take a moment to read how it sounds, not to mention who you were saying it to. (Robb Alvey, the owner of this site, and the producer of all these videos.) You may have well have said that he has hideous taste in music. Who really does this help? No one. Now again, I'm sure you didn't intend it to sound that way. But look at it from someone else's point of view and suddenly it does. Look, we're all in this internet thingy together. Can we all try to pay attention to what we are saying in words and how they will be interpreted by everyone that reads them.

I personally love the music choices. They are fun, bouncy, and IMHO convey the tone and feel of a TPR trip. The Coaster Expedition videos are the reason I wanted to meet, become friends with, and go on trips with Robb & Elissa.

I apologize if I pissed anyone off with that rant. That was not my intent. I gots nothin' but love and good times for er'body. And I'm just gonna shut up right now as I have probably already hung myself.

Guy "There's 13 coils in a real hangman's noose, right? Good. I'll be in my closet for the rest of my life." Koepp

Coaster Expedition. Especially if you did one of the TPR China trip!

I've always prefered these videos, from way back when they started out as your family vacation videos. And I'm not just saying that because I was in them! They give more of a story of a day in the park, rather than just POV of a coaster ride. While the raw videos are ok, especially now theat you're editing them a lot more and changing up the style to more than just POV, I'd rather ride the coaster than just watch it.

I hate to sound like a party pooper but I prefer Raw. You guys look like you have a great time but that's "your" time. It's kind of like looking at a co-workers vacation pics. It might be nice once but I don't need to see them again. If I went on 1 of the TPR trips I would probably feel different but I have my own family and friends that we like to travel with.

Raw gives us a chance to go back and see some of our favorite and unique coasters we have ridden. We are getting ready to hit 500 coasters this year and I know many of the places we have visited we will never go back to like Playland, Cliffs, Wonderland, Lagoon, etc and some that I have no desire to visit again like LaRonde, SFA, Wild Waves, etc but still like to remember the coasters.

For me personally I would like the Raw concept but also include footage of other rides and park atmosphere. I could do without seeing people I don't know acting like goof balls and then having my kids ask me every 2 minutes "who is that ?", "why are they doing that ?" They watch them 10 times more than I do. No offense to anybody it's just my opinion.

After a long thought on this I voted Coaster Expedition. Although the Nerd in me loves the Raw series and finds it very meditative to watch, Coaster Expedition is what pulled me into TPR and wanted to go on a trip. The series screams FUN and although it could be for a smaller audience, it also may attract more people onto the trips.

'sigh', I really wish I could go on a other trip right now