TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "Pleasant/Unpleasant Surprise" Thread

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pleasant:

Maverick. First time I rode it, i got neck-chopped pretty bad bc I didn't know anything about it or the transitions. I got off it hating the ride. 2 years later on a re-visit to CP, I decided to ride it and fell in love with the thing. Ergo, pleasant surprise.

Insanity @ the Stratosphere. I don't like or do spinning rides generally. But I had the wristband & decided I had to at least try it while I was there. It wasn't the awesomest thing ever, but it was really fun, and looking straight down 900ft is cool.

From my recent trip to SFFT.

Pleasant: Road Runner Express. Was not expecting it to be somewhat of an intense family coaster. It was pretty smooth too!

Unpleasant: Superman Krypton Coaster. It wasn't bad but I guess my expectations were really high.

There's a few rough spots along with some headbanging. Unless it was just the train or seat I was in.

PLEASANT:

Crush's Coaster - Walt Disney Studios Paris - I was concerned that I might feel ill on a spinning coaster (I don't do spinning well). Crush was my first spinning coaster ever and I was greatly surprised by how much fun it was and how very un-sickly it was.

UNPLEASANT:

Temple of the Nighthawk - Phantasialand - This coaster made me feel so ill. Super smooth, super long and in a pitch-black and hot metal tin of a building it just made me feel overwhelmingly sick. An awful experience, and not something I expected of such an innocent looking coaster.

• 1 month later...

X / X2... I expected one of the best coasters in the country and I got one of the worst. I rode it first in 2002 and it was awful, last year we went back and after hearing about how great it was for over a decade and hearing about the brand new, smoother X2 trains we rode it again. It's still a ridiculously rough piece of crap that you couldn't pay me to ride ever again. I absolutely hate that coaster.

Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit was far and away the biggest coaster let down I've had. It looks like such a fun ride with some cool theming. My two rides were absolutely horrible though.

Edited by KI Kidd

Millennium Force. I had heard this was the best coaster in the world from several people and anchored my CP trip off that coaster. I never came off a coaster so disappointed and it ranks as the worst of my 7 coasters 200 feet or higher. It's not terrible but it's ridiculously overrated. In all honesty it's barely in the top 5 at CP for me and will probably get kicked out once I ride Dragster.

I was shocked how much I hated Skyrush.

I won't say Flying Turns was a "letdown" as I knew from reading stuff here (by Robb and others) that it was a family ride, rather than a "high thrill" ride. . but honestly, it wasn't super exciting

Maverick. I liked it well enough, but considering what I value most in coasters (unique layouts, low to the ground elements, consistent sensation of speed), it should be my favorite coaster of all time. But the opening switchbacks didn't do anything for me but bang my neck against the restraints, the horseshoe roll was practically the most forceless part of the ride, the trims immediately after the launch breaks the pacing, and the stengel dives, again, just felt like they were there to throw you from left to right. I wanted to like it so much more, but when I really add up the elements in my mind and the only parts I really liked were the airtime hills and opening drop, I have a hard time defending it to myself.

The Dark Knight Coaster. It's hyped up so much that it sounds like the greatest ride in existence, but it's simply just a Wild Mouse in the dark.

Edited by VF15

Gatekeeper and X-Flight, aka the only two Wingriders I've been on. I didn't expect top 5 coasters, but man, those were boring ! I even actually found Gatekeeper to vibrate so much that I had a headache after two rides. By far the worst B&M I've been on.

I will have to say TTD. This ride is still great but having ridden KK before and having heard many people saying how much better Dragster was I was disappointed as I actually ended up enjoying KK a bit more. Sure the lap bars are better, as to the roughness, well, both these rides have to be ridden in the front and in that seat I have no problems with Ka. Oh, and TTD also has a trimless top hat. However, I just found KK quite more intense: the launch is more forceful, I did feel the extra speed and even though I don't know the exact G force numbers it felt overall more intense.

Still an awesome ride, nonetheless.

Wild Eagle was a pretty big letdown UNTIL I went back to the park this past June and tried it out in the back seat. And man, I liked it a lot more there. Much more forceful.

This. I loved it when I first rode it but in the back the forces are just flat out amazing. Nobody can complain about a lack of intensity if they ride in the back.

Hmm, I'd have to say Tatsu and Magnum were both pretty big disappointments. Tatsu just sort of meandered around slowly and I felt like it failed to execute the concept it was designed for. Magnum was just rough and the airtime felt so robotic and mechanical that I couldn't get into it.