TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

IAAPA 2012 Trade Show - TPR's Official Report!

I was rather intrigued that there's a possibility for an extended layout for Intamin's Zac Spin coaster. Now that would be one insane ride.

On their ZacSpin brochure on the Intamin website there's a 50m tall design that looks interesting.

Apparently we can expect a full size coaster with Zac Spin style seating, and a B&M hyper with loops.

The future looks promising.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent coverage of IAAPA 2012 Robb and team! The videos were interesting, informative and fun to watch

I just hope and pray that UK park owners had their arms twisted by GCI, GG and RMC. Somethings gotta give. Surely?!!!

Edit: important additional letter added.

Great videos.

As an Alton Towers fanatic, did anybody at the show (whether Robb/Elissa or other) manage to speak to Gerstlauer? My presumption would be that they're totally tight lipped about Secret Weapon Seven, as is nearly always the case with major Alton Towers coasters, but I would be interested nevertheless.

And the Mack section was quite true - if you check RCDB for developments in the coming years, there are LOADS of new Mack coasters coming!

^ If you could please READ this thread, you'll find out that we already answered this. No, we did not interview Gerstlauer, and no, they are not able to say ANYTHING about SW7.

Seriously, people, I've probably answered this Gerstlauer question, not joking, 20 times now between this forum, our Facebook page, and the YouTube channel.

All we ask of people is to READ THE THREAD before the ask questions.

--Robb "I don't think I'm asking too much here..." Alvey

Thanks @ TPR-Team and for all – YES.

I just want to accompany in this thread…

Much videos, photos and interesting infos: So, tons of EFFORTS - absolutely!

^ I can only rudimentary imagine, how much sleep you all have to catch up… oh boy!

Besides: Very interesting questions (all of them) from the TPR-User about the companies as well. You can be proud of them, Robb/Alissa & the TPR-Team!

Was a super idea with the IAAPA 2012-user-questions, Robb – many THANKS for this also. I would call it: ^Freshness^!

Again: Thanks and great job - Robb, Elissa, Adam, Jack, Jake and the rest of the ThemeParkReview-Team around IAAPA 2012.

Just AWESOME.

Our “Vitamin Z” campaign just won the 2012 Brass Ring Award for best integrated marketing from the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions. Theme parks, museums, zoos, aquariums and other attractions worldwide compete for this coveted award. Thanks to our partners at Doner for their creative brilliance! Click on the link to see the campaign.

- The Detroit Zoo

I know it's not the specifics of IAAPA where TPR interviewed several industry leaders and companies. But, I'd like to throw this in as well. I volunteered for the Detroit Zoo this past summer and found I needed to share with TPR that you do have a member of the 2012 Zoo Ambassador crew on the site. I'm proud to have helped out the zoo, and to help fellow Detroiters relax. /off-topic

But, when it comes to being on-topic... Thanks for all the coverage and hard work this year! I loved all the questions, interviews and general content that came out of the site. It really kept me informed and up to date on what's going on in the industry - as always, you have my thanks TPR! Keep being awesome!

The yearly IAAPA coverage has to be one of my favorite things about TPR, thanks for all of the work your guys put into this. I have to get caught up on all of the videos but the content thus far has been a lot of fun! Can't wait to see some of these concepts come to life at parks in the future.

I'm still amazed Robb got Walter Bolliger to smile. That alone is a huge accomplishment.

Seriously! You speak the truth Larry. He seems to give a very difficult interview, as if he's uncomfortable talking about anything. Could be the language barrior.

Robb, you, Elissa and the rest of your team do an awesome job of keeping the energy level up and the interview moving at a great pace. I know how exhausting that can be sometimes. I have stumbled on to some other sites interviews, and they all pale in comparisson. Awesome work all around.

^ If you could please READ this thread, you'll find out that we already answered this. No, we did not interview Gerstlauer, and no, they are not able to say ANYTHING about SW7.

Seriously, people, I've probably answered this Gerstlauer question, not joking, 20 times now between this forum, our Facebook page, and the YouTube channel.

All we ask of people is to READ THE THREAD before the ask questions.

--Robb "I don't think I'm asking too much here..." Alvey

Apologies, I have been reading this thread pretty much every day but must have missed it.

It was awesome to see all that IAAPA had to offer this year. Thank you for sharing it!

While I wasn't able to go myself, I did have an experience at work related to the event. Working the rental boat dock at Disney's Port Orleans Resort-Riverside, I had a guest come over to the dock for his boat, and he asked "Are you the big coaster fan?" (Which I later found out he was told by one of my fellow Cast Members in the rental booth that I was). It was Brian Ondrey of Irvine Ondrey Engineering, and as I talked with him, I found out that he was working with GCI on White Lightning at Fun Spot. He had also done quite a bit of work with Bolliger and Mabillard on a couple of their coasters. He was also really happy as he had just recently started his own company and thanks to IAAPA, he landed a couple of good contracts. I mentioned Theme Park Review and he said he had just talked to Robb shortly before coming to the resort. In all, I thought it was awesome to meet him, and really enjoyed the chat!

-Gary T.

Thanks Gary! I enjoyed meeting you too. I always enjoy talking about the industry, which probably makes working in it a good idea. IAAPA went really well for us which is great being a start-up company. For those of you curious, I worked for Consign for over 13 years designing control systems for both B&M and GCI. I left in 2011 and this year formed Irvine Ondrey Engineering with my wife, Anne.

As Gary said, we are working again with GCI on both of their rides this year. It was great seeing Robb at the show and we told him, we are looking forward to sharing our experiences with you. I also actually quite enjoy answering questions so if there's anything anyone wants to know, I'll see what I can do to answer. Come check us out on Facebook too under Irvine Ondrey Engineering!

*chuckle* as for Walter B., he's actually quite approachable and yes, he does smile . The lauguage thing definitely has to be tough, and it amazes me how many of their engineers speak english quite well. I've tried to speak french with them, but between the accent and my knowledge of only about 20 words, it didn't quite work.

-Brian

^^Congrats on the success of your start-up. Having been part of the test & adjusting for a few rides on the operations side, ride programming has always fascinated me. Too bad I'm not even close to smart enough to make sense of it all.

In years I don't get to attend the show, TPR's coverage is by far and away the best around. You can really tell that the companies enjoy talking to TPR!