TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Camelot Theme Park UK Closes Forever

Story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-20197934

Camelot Theme Park in Lancashire closes down

Camelot Theme Park in Lancashire has closed, with the operator blaming a decline in visitors for the decision.

The attraction at Charnock Richard, near Chorley, has been open for 29 years and employs more than 150 people during summer months.

Operator Knights Leisure announced it would not reopen for the 2013 season.

Roy Page, managing director of Knights Leisure, said poor summer weather and events such as London 2012 and the Queen's Jubilee hit visitor numbers.

He said: "Following a number of years of declining visitor numbers, the 2012 season proved particularly challenging.

"Whilst we have become used to inclement summer weather in the UK during the past few years, a combination of the wettest summer for 100 years, the Queen's Jubilee celebrations followed by the spectacular television coverage of the Olympic Games during our busiest months of the summer and the school holidays had a major impact on visitors to Camelot.

"I would like to thank all the staff who have helped to make Camelot Theme Park one of the region's most entertaining visitor attractions and our many loyal visitors for their continued support over the past 29 wonderful years."

Lindsay Hoyle, MP for Chorley, said: "I think it's sad. Camelot seems to have had a troubled history in recent times, but it's still popular, people still turn up and come from all over the country.

"I think it does need new investment to revitalise it. Obviously we have had a new owner - people said it was a new beginning for Camelot, but obviously it has not worked out."

You can see photos from when TPR visited this park here: http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=256&linkid=9287

And just when BMRX had found a new home... I wonder if that ride will have a third chance at life? I'm guessing no...

Here's a POV of the coaster...

Edited by robbalvey

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be possible for Knightmare to be sold to a fair operator as it has a grid structure for a support base?

I'm actually surprised that the park lasted as long as it did, as I remember reading a few years ago(I think the year Knightmare opened), that they were struggling and were considering shutting down then.

Would it be possible for Knightmare to be sold to a fair operator as it has a grid structure for a support base?

I'm actually surprised that the park lasted as long as it did, as I remember reading a few years ago(I think the year Knightmare opened), that they were struggling and were considering shutting down then.

Hmm--there might be a Jersey Shore park or two that might be interested in a good used Schwarzkopf ride.

It's unfortunate that the park won't be reopening--wouldn't have minded riding Knightmare, myself. I'm a bit surprised that the Olympics, which should've caused an upsurge in tourism, were one of the reasons they had a bad season. But I've also heard that many countries discover that any sort of "Olympic economic surge" tends to be overrated.

From the sources I've culled, BMR-X/Knightmare wasn't owned by Camelot, but rather is owned by an outside owner, and leased by Camelot.

The ride recieved a major refurbishment before installation, and still is a low-time model of the BHS/Zierer series overall. I would strongly suspect that Gerstlauer would be interested this ride if not owned by an outside owner.

I'm sad to hear the park close, but I hope for a good future for BMR-X. It is a great ride, with some really nifty forces, and preservation should be key.

R.D.

Praise be to Anton, Amen.

This park seemed to be doing pretty well back in 2010. I think it's kind of a cop out to say that one bad season led it to close after all this time. There must be more to the story. Hopefully they can find a new owner or plan or something! It was definitely one of the more decent smaller UK Parks.

Camelot was a great little park that had a very impressive

exercise system called....walking around and through the park!

Man it was a walk, waaay downhill from the entrance and then

waaay over to where Knightmare was. But it was a good workout!

I need to post that 2010 tour too. I am one tour behind, now...

FRAAAN!!!! ^^^^^ Thanks for reminding me, buddy.

And thanks to Robb & Elissa for that tour, too.

And bye bye Camelot! And gas-powered coaster.

EDIT: And bye bye Knightmare. Hope you get a new buyer.

Edited by Nrthwnd

It's a real shame that Camelot is closing. Knightmare is a fantastic ride. Not keen on the colourscheme but there we go. It picks up a suprising amount of speed towards the end and twists a lot.

This park is pretty much my closest park to me and I have fond memories of visiting it over the years.

You guys do know that Knightmare is a Zierier "Schwarzkopf" modelcoaster. It's actually not an actual Schwarzkopf according to RCDB.

I'll be sad if it's not relocated though...Its listed as "defunct" so this could mean it was scrapped already

It's sad to see a theme park close - but on the strength of my visit in the season knightmare opened I'm not really surprised - the place unfortunately looked really run down, and there was litter trampled into the ground all over the place - it was pretty depressing.

Knightmare was pretty good - although Jetline felt better. I enjoyed the spinner too, and the gasoline coaster was quirky.

Oh - and the food at wimpy was attrocious!

You guys do know that Knightmare is a Zierier "Schwarzkopf" modelcoaster. It's actually not an actual Schwarzkopf according to RCDB.

Schwarzkopf designed coasters for Zierier; it says so right on RCDB's page, dude.

I'm bummed about this, but it does not surprise me. Went there a few years back on my trip to England; Knightmare was fantastic, considering it was my first ride on that kind of Schwarzkopf. The jousting show was a great touch, really original.

Schwarzkopf designed Bavarian Mountain Railroad, Jetline, and Lisebergbanan, and Zierer built them.

It's similar to the relationship between Gravity Group and Martin & Vleminckx.

The "Make/Model" listed on RCDB isn't necessarily consistent with the actual designer of the ride - in Knightmare's case, it was a collaboration between Schwarzkopf and Stengel Engineering.

Basically, the current owners have wanted to close the park for a while now, and build a housing estate.

Their excuses for closing it were exactly that. They never invested in the park and kept on rising the entrance fee, which in turn resulted in low visitor numbers, which then gives them 'proof' that it wasn't doing very well.

I didn't like the place at all, it was a dump and a rip off, but it's always sad to see a park close.

Basically, the current owners have wanted to close the park for a while now, and build a housing estate.

Their excuses for closing it were exactly that. They never invested in the park and kept on rising the entrance fee, which in turn resulted in low visitor numbers, which then gives them 'proof' that it wasn't doing very well.

I didn't like the place at all, it was a dump and a rip off, but it's always sad to see a park close.

They think they can make more money using the land for something other than a theme park. Hopefully it won't be like Astroworld and the site sit empty.

If Knightmare rides anywhere close to its brother in Gröna Lund, it has to be relocated instead of scrapped!

In a word: No. Though I did hear grumbling from people who had ridden it in Japan that it had lost something in being moved to Europe.