TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2 Year Old Boy Killed By Animals At Pittsburgh Zoo

Plaintiff attorneys just orgasmed over this line "...that he was so small he ricocheted off netting meant to guard against anyone falling into the area.."

Lawsuit in 3,2,1....

Negligent parent, and yet she'll still make out with something. Unreal.

I'm not terribly sure that there is going to be much in the way of a recovery in this case. There, of course, is going to be be at least some look into what could happen. I imagine that there are going to be some questions about how high the fencing was and whether or not the net in question was in place to catch a falling person. The issue is going to turn on whether or not the park should have seen an injury like this being foreseeable, which I'm not sure from the facts that they were. With, what seems to be, such massive negligence on the part of the mother I think any type of recovery could be very limited. Considering that generally payment in these types of cases is going to be contingent, you need to be very careful about the cases you take.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone that's worked on the other side, all I'm saying is that you'd be surprised.

This is one of the last claims I handled:

Posted: 03/12/2006

Last Updated: 2431 days ago

A man fell off an escalator early Sunday morning at Denver International Airport and was critically injured.

The man, whose name was not released, fell 25 to 30 feet on the escalator from Concourse A to the train platform at about 12:30 a.m., landing on his head, according to a witness.

The victim, from Massachusetts, was as in his 20s, according to Denver police. A preliminary investigation revealed the man was sitting on the escalator rail when he lost his balance and fell.

Airport officials said it was the first such accident at the airport.

The young man was intoxicated, and rode the railing like he was riding a horse. The parent's filed suit. Just saying.

^ You of course don't have to be nice but a coaster forum sure seems like a good place for it.

What is embarrassing to me is that there is very little compassion shown for a woman who's child was eatin in front of her. Was it negligent, of course, but some of your attitudes completely suck.

^ Why are you being so defensive??? Because I called you out on something you posted??? And now you're blaming us for not having compassion for a woman dropped her child in a pit of wild dogs???? Something that should have never happened???

WHAT???!!

I think it's best you stop reading this thread if you can't control what you write.

If you find TPR "embarrassing" then I encourage you to go find another theme park or roller coaster forum that better suits your liking.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Being a parent myself of a 6 year old, stories like this just give you that sick feeling inside. When will people start taking more responsibility for their actions, especially where their children are concerned? I'm in total agreement with you Rob there's no excuse for this kind of reckless parenting. I'm reminded of an incident that occured not far from where I live. In Oxford, Florida a child was killed by a pet Burmese Python that was kept in a tank covered with nothing but a towel. If there was a crime for stupid parents just think how full the jails would be.

I heard a news report that said these dogs are on the endangered species list. Do you think whoever has authority over protected species will give the go ahead to put down the herd in this case? I don't know who gives the go ahead on something like that.

^ Why are you being so defensive??? Because I called you out on something you posted??? And now you're blaming us for not having compassion for a woman dropped her child in a pit of wild dogs???? Something that should have never happened???

WHAT???!!

I think it's best you stop reading this thread if you can't control what you write.

If you find TPR "embarrassing" then I encourage you to go find another theme park or roller coaster forum that better suits your liking.

--Robb

Embarrassing? Yes. Entertaining? Absolutely.

Can't. Look. Away...

I am sort of embarrassed that I can't hearing Meryl Streep say "The dingoes ate my baby"

Haha...my coworker told me about this story today. She said "Did you hear about the wild dogs at the Pittsburgh Zoo that mauled a baby when it fell in their enclosure". My response: "Please, please tell me that they were dingoes."

I was just at the zoo last week. It's scary to see a local thing around me get so big. The exhibit is very safe looking. There are 3 open air "windows" to look at the painted dogs with. The two on the sides have wire mesh on them and the one in the middle has no wire mesh but it still seems very safe. There is a sign saying that there shouldn't be children or whatnot sitting or leaning over the fence and there is a catch net below it. Sadly there was a mother who was stupid enough to ignore the signs and give her toddler a better view. Some are saying that the toddler died when it hit the ground and not when it was eaten. I sure hope so for that sake. I hope they don't get rid of the African painted dogs. They are so beautiful. One sad dog had to be shot! This is an endangered animal!!! The place where she lived was in a "good" neighborhood where the parents are usually very protective. According to the news a friend of hers said that she was usually a very protective and great mother who just wasn't thinking. She very well may have been protective and a good mother up until that moment. She did one stupid thing though that she will have to live with for the rest of her life. And it really is solely her fault and not the dogs nor the zoo's. Also according to the news the mom is in a psychiatric ward of her hospital and is in extreme depression and shock. So sad that this had to happen to the zoo and to her and the toddler. So sad.

This is plain sad...that someone would be that stupid to put their 2-year-old up on the railing for a 'better view' knowing the chance that he could slip and fall into the enclosure. No, the park should not be responsible for the mother's stupidity. They didn't tell her to prop her kid on the rail for a better view. It's time people start taking responsibility for their own actions, not pass it off to another party.

I was in shock when I heard this yesterday. The only thing is the news and word of mouth versions of this story were so distorted that at one point it was suggested it was the kid's "father" who had his "3 year old" up on his "shoulders" and let it dropped in. Well needless to say I never take everyone's story 100% seriously, but all I kept saying is wait for the official release. Still it was very upsetting and I knew this was going to make headlines. Someone did bring up the point that it was around 34*F out and it was strange the mother had the baby outside anywhere. Who knows, I can't say I was sorry I wasn't there I might have jumped in after it to save him.

Although since it was her offspring, with half of her DNA, perhaps it could count somewhat. Especially if it keeps her from having kids again.

But before nayone starts laughing at this situation, let's remember that a stupid, senseless, easily avoidable tragedy is still a tragedy.

What shocks me is how you all could be blaming the poor mother who is obviously heartbroken. She saw her child eaten in front of her. This is something she will never completely recover from, and yet you all are pinning her against the wall, throwing all blame on her. The zoo has to exhibit a responsibility to make sure that even if somebody were to jump over, this wouldn't happen. Now, i don't think the zoo should be shut down because of this. I think the zoo should undergo safety changes to prevent something like this from happening again. A previous case happened like this with a New York railroad. There was a bridge with signs all over that said "do not enter" Yet still, people went onto the bridge to jump into the river. One day somebody got hit by a train and died. The family sued and won. This was because the railroad, by law, had to exhibit a responsibility to enforce the rules set down. If they did not enforce the rules it isn't considered a rule by the court. If the zoo is sued, they will lose, due to a legal precedent.

No. The mother put her child up there and neglicted to make sure that the child would be fine. If she had held on to the child, the boy would not have fallen. It's the woman's fault for making the situation possible in the first place not the park. A park should be able to trust that the guests know what and what not to do.

The park also probably never expected a mother of a young child to carelessly put her child on a railing. There were probably signs there, and the mother straight out ignored them. I feel sorry for the mother, and I'm hoping that all parents, not just the ones involved, learned a valuable lesson.

Though, the blame can not be solely pinned on one person. Both parties are at fault here, not just the family.

If you're speaking in twisted, retarded legal jargon, then yes, the zoo shares some blame in bizarro world. To the rest of us in common sense world, this is the mother's fault. Period.

But still, it is the legal responsibility of the zoo to ensure the safety of all guests and to enforce the rules that they set down. Though, the blame can not be solely pinned on one person. Both parties are at fault here, not just the family.

The animals didn't jump out of their enclosure and attack guests. The zoo did their job just fine. I don't understand how anyone could fault the zoo here!?!?

What shocks me is how you all could be blaming the poor mother who is obviously heartbroken. She saw her child eaten in front of her. This is something she will never completely recover from, and yet you all are pinning her against the wall, throwing all blame on her. The zoo has to exhibit a responsibility to make sure that even if somebody were to jump over, this wouldn't happen. Now, i don't think the zoo should be shut down because of this. I think the zoo should undergo safety changes to prevent something like this from happening again. A previous case happened like this with a New York railroad. There was a bridge with signs all over that said "do not enter" Yet still, people went onto the bridge to jump into the river. One day somebody got hit by a train and died. The family sued and won. This was because the railroad, by law, had to exhibit a responsibility to enforce the rules set down. If they did not enforce the rules it isn't considered a rule by the court. If the zoo is sued, they will lose, due to a legal precedent.

No! It is one 100% the mothers fault in this scenario and the fact that you can't see that is a horrible thing. The mother placed her child on a railing in an exhibit full of WILD DOGS, a carnivorous animal. There were signs and notifications warning the mother and she did it anyway and deserves full blame here. Where is the line for common sense to take over... common sense is very important and for you to not acknowledge her blame means you lack this common sense. The lady will sue the zoo and will likely win despite the fact that the zoo did nothing wrong, and that aspect sickens me. Her child died a HORRIBLE VIOLENT DEATH due to complete and total negligence and stupidity, and that's a horrible thing!