TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Walt Disney Company to Acquire Lucasfilm and Star Wars

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish George Lucas would give the original theatrical Star Wars negatives to charity. I want someone to release a HD print of the non "special edition" cuts of the original trilogy. Perhaps Disney will release them on Blu-Ray to pay for the acquisition. Heck, they might generate the $4 billion back on that initiative alone. Kudos to Bob Iger. He got the golden goose cheap!

As for "Howard the Duck"? No...just no.

The first thing I thought when I heard Disney bought Lucas Film was the next Disney theme park built (after Shanghai Disneyland) needs to be a Star Wars park. A land isn't enough to justify all the planets of Star Wars. I would love to see a Star Wars theme park in CA, but FL has the room so a Star Wars Kingdom could be the future fifth gate. If they could find a way to rearrange Anaheim to build a Star Wars Kingdom as the third gate I would love that, but that isn't very probable (they could buy a whole city block and demolish it and connect it to Disneyland with the Monorail ). If Disney didn't just reboot California Adventure, they could have revamped it to Disney's Star Wars Adventure instead.

Even if he can't write his way out of a paper bag, poo-poo like this makes Lucas awesome.

This is my favorite George Lucas Story:

http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/16/real_estate/george-lucas-housing/index.htm

The first thing I thought when I heard Disney bought Lucas Film was the next Disney theme park built (after Shanghai Disneyland) needs to be a Star Wars park. A land isn't enough to justify all the planets of Star Wars. I would love to see a Star Wars theme park in CA, but FL has the room so a Star Wars Kingdom could be the future fifth gate. If they could find a way to rearrange Anaheim to build a Star Wars Kingdom as the third gate I would love that, but that isn't very probable (they could buy a whole city block and demolish it and connect it to Disneyland with the Monorail ). If Disney didn't just reboot California Adventure, they could have revamped it to Disney's Star Wars Adventure instead.

Even a land, something in scope and scale to Cars Land, for DHS would be an awesome addition. Mos Eisley spaceport anyone?

I was so shocked in the first moment when I read this... I can't believe that George Lucas did that.

But in this shock I forgot that there is Star Tours in the Disney parks... So on the one hand I hope, that they will do more Star Wars things in the Disney parks but on the other hand I'm a little bit "scared" that they will make Star Wars to much "Disney".

The only thing that I really don't like, is the fact that they want to make more movies. I think I don't want to see Luke Skywalker being played by an other actor then Mark Hamill...

We will see what will happen...

I was so shocked in the first moment when I read this... I can't believe that George Lucas did that.

But in this shock I forgot that there is Star Tours in the Disney parks... So on the one hand I hope, that they will do more Star Wars things in the Disney parks but on the other hand I'm a little bit "scared" that they will make Star Wars to much "Disney".

The only thing that I really don't like, is the fact that they want to make more movies. I think I don't want to see Luke Skywalker being played by an other actor then Mark Hamill...

I read an interview with Mark Hamill saying that he and Carrie Fisher had already been talked to about the next movie (this was shortly before the Disney deal was announced). It seems that the new movie(s) will continue the story timeline beyond where Jedi ended and Luke and Leia (and possibly Han) would play brief parts in the first installment as a bridge between the old series and a set of new characters that will continue the story in that universe, but be otherwise unrelated to the previous films.

but on the other hand I'm a little bit "scared" that they will make Star Wars to much "Disney".

I don't understand this concern. Disney hasn't forced their style upon Pixar or Marvel, why would they with Lucasfilm? Both Pixar and Marvel are churning out fantastic work, and the geniuses from those entities (mostly Pixar) have brought some great work over to Disney (John Lasseter and his influence on Imagineering anyone?) I don't see Disney doing much more than paying the bills and reaping in the rewards for Lucasfilm movies, pretty much how they've allowed Pixar and Marvel to operate.

I don't think we are going to be hearing "Luke, I am you fairy godfather" anytime soon.

Okay, now, I don't usually get emotional, but...

Lucasfilm’s spinoff TV version of Star Wars has been a solid performer on the Turner Entertainment-owned Cartoon Network for the past five years, but that run almost certainly will end after the current season in the wake of the deal for Disney to acquire George Lucas' company for $4.05 billion.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Turner, a division of Time Warner, has the license for Star Wars: The Clone Wars only through the end of the 2012-13 season. Each year it has renewed its deal with Lucasfilm, and reps for both companies say they will make a decision on continuing the show around the end of the season.

In reality, Disney is very likely to move Clone Wars to one of its own networks, most likely Disney XD, an advertiser-supported cable TV channel targeted at boys.

www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-clone-wars-leave-385661

I know that this article really doesn't confirm anything, but I think Cartoon Network is cool and deserves to finish off the show, or at least be allowed to run older episodes for a good while.

It shouldn't be too bad. Disney said they would make some more moveis now and there will probably be some related attractions added to the Disney parks hopefully. But they might not enforce their "Disney" way too much on any of it.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, the deal was made "official" today...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20121204/us-disney-lucasfilm/?utm_hp_ref=homepage&ir=homepage

WASHINGTON — Federal antitrust regulators have cleared Disney's $4 billion deal to buy Lucasfilm, the filmmaking empire behind the "Star Wars" franchise.

Notice of the clearance was issued Tuesday.

Representatives for The Walt Disney Co. and Lucasfilm Ltd. did not immediately respond to requests for comment. When the deal was announced in October, no formal closing date was announced.

The purchase stoked "Star Wars" fans because along with the surprise announcement, Disney said it would make sequels to the six-part series with plans to release the first in the next trilogy, Episode 7, in 2015.

Lucasfilm founder George Lucas is to receive about half of the $4.05 billion purchase price in cash and half in newly issued Disney shares. He has said he'd donate much of it to charity.

• 1 month later...

JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII.

JJ, Joss Whedon or Christopher Nolan would have probably been the only acceptable choices. Maybe Peter Jackson?

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2013/01/24/j-j-abrams-set-to-direct-star-wars-episode-vii/

J.J. Abrams is set to direct “Episode VII.”

Sources have confirmed the “Star Trek Into Darkness” filmmaker will helm the next “Star Wars” movie, the highly anticipated installment in the landmark franchise scheduled to reach theaters in 2015.

“Star Wars: Episode VII” will be written by Michael Arndt, the Oscar-winning screenwriter of “Little Miss Sunshine” and “Toy Story 3.”

Simon Kinberg and Lawrence Kasdan have been tapped to write “Star Wars” projects as well, but it’s unclear whether their scripts will be for future episodes or for films outside the official trilogy.

The upcoming trilogy of new films was announced Oct. 30 when the Walt Disney Co. went public with its plans to acquire Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion.

The first thing I thought when I heard Disney bought Lucas Film was the next Disney theme park built (after Shanghai Disneyland) needs to be a Star Wars park. A land isn't enough to justify all the planets of Star Wars. I would love to see a Star Wars theme park in CA, but FL has the room so a Star Wars Kingdom could be the future

Instead of just a Star Wars park, maybe a futuristic themed park since they have the rights to Marvel and with some Disney magic they could make something pretty amazing.

I'm cautiously optimistic about JJ Abrams.

I don't think he'll intentionally do a bad job, because he is a self professed Star Wars fanboy. But I am concerned because I wasn't at all impressed with his last film, Super 8. I was expecting to love the movie because of it's overt "Spielberg-esque" style. But it ended up just being an overall "meh" movie experience for me.

I liked the Star Trek reboot movie he directed and am eagerly awaiting to see the sequel this summer. But it is just odd to me that he will be in charge of both Star Trek and Star Wars. They are both very different from each other. I'm just hoping that he can differentiate between them and make each it's own separate thing. His visual style was very obvious in Star Trek. I don't want his style to overshadow the look that has already been established in the first 6 movies. I just imagine seeing Luke, Han, and Leia all sitting around drinking slushos with harsh lens flares blasting into the camera from behind.

He has a resume full of things that I like, but nothing really that I LOVE. Which I find concerning because I have always LOVED Star Wars (except for the prequels I don't wanna talk about those). I just hope that he can pull it off. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

Here's what he said back in November when he didn't think he was going to be considered:

"Look, Star Wars is one of my favorite movies of all time. I frankly feel that – I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series. I was never a big Star Trek fan growing up, so for me, working on Star Trek didn’t have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege, and so, I am looking forward more then anyone to the next iterations of Star Wars, but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer!"

Sounds like he knows that there are some dire consequences for messing up the Star Wars universe, and considering he sounds like a bigger Star Wars fan than Star Trek, I have faith that he knows what he's doing and won't mess this up.