TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hurricane Sandy vs. Roller Coasters

While I am glad I got these two credits last year, they were nothing special. Just two more coasters to say that I have been on. On the other hand the parks in Seaside Heights are full of charm and I hope they make a strong recovery. Being able to rebuild new rides with that same atmosphere should only be able to strengthen these parks. Hopefully they come back stronger than ever!

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I haven't logged in on TPR in over a year? Seriously?

Just thought I'd drop in here with a video that covers a lot of the damage to the piers and such: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp=49615945

From the brief shot in that video, might be adding a third non-memorable coaster to the list, the mighty mouse, another miler gone bye bye. Not sad in the least, it wasn't that great.

^ He already talked about Six Flags New Orleans and what happened to it after the hurricane and why it was not rebuilt. Plus those aren't piers with crappy coasters. Those are entire amusement parks.

Entire amusement parks with costly attractions anchored deeply into the ground.

Wasn't the Star Jet a portable coaster? Didn't it just, y'know, sit on the pier?

^ Yep extremely portable now and ready to have the Gulf Stream take it of to the North Atlantic Drift for delivery on a beach in Southern Europe or Northern Africa.

I didn't say the park would agree with me. I was disagreeing with YOU. Personally, I don't feel sad when an awful coaster gets destroyed. I feel sad when people have to ride an awful coaster, so when a ride like that meets its demise, that makes me happy!

I'm sure Miller would be interested in hearing your feedback. As would the park. These people poured their money into these places for decades. Two family run piers, both decimated by this storm. Yes, they may rebuild, but it'll take quite a long time. Yes, a coaster got destroyed that didn't have a good reputation, but obviously made the park money. Is it really something to joke about? Yes I can take a joke, but in situations like this...I just think it's out of line.

Does that make sense?

Yes, yes I have. VV

Edited by SoCalCoasters

I didn't say the park would agree with me. I was disagreeing with YOU. Personally, I don't feel sad when an awful coaster gets destroyed. I feel sad when people have to ride an awful coaster, so when a ride like that meets its demise, that makes me happy!

I'm sure Miller would be interested in hearing your feedback. As would the park. These people poured their money into these places for decades. Two family run piers, both decimated by this storm. Yes, they may rebuild, but it'll take quite a long time. Yes, a coaster got destroyed that didn't have a good reputation, but obviously made the park money. Is it really something to joke about? Yes I can take a joke, but in situations like this...I just think it's out of line.

Does that make sense?

Have you READ any of this thread??!?!!?

When Hurricane Ike hit Galveston in 2008, I remember driving to my beach house a few weeks later and seeing all the destruction. But since then, it feels like Galveston really has bounced back and then some. Galveston I think looks better then ever as far as new piers and buildings (including Pleasure Pier). Sure you can still see a few abandon shops or homes still from the hurricane. My point is I believe most of these businesses with destruction from Sandy will be rebuilt and in a few years probably look better then ever. Also, I'm sure the government will step in and give some of the local businesses some aid to rebuild. Best of luck to anyone in Sandy's path.

Edited by Mrlittle

I'm sure Miller would be interested in hearing your feedback. As would the park. These people poured their money into these places for decades - AND (HOPEFULLY) TOOK OUT INSURANCE ON THEIR INVESTMENTS. Two family run piers, both decimated by this storm. Yes, they may rebuild, but it'll take quite a long time (YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN HOW KNOEBELS RECOVERED - QUICKLY). Yes, a coaster got destroyed that didn't have a good reputation, but obviously made the park money. Is it really something to joke about? (I DON'T SEE JOKING - JUST FACTS/OPINIONS) Yes I can take a joke, but in situations like this...I just think it's out of line.

Does that make sense?

Yes, yes I have. VV

There was a pier in Huntington Beach, CA that was wiped out by a storm years ago (less severe than this one) and a restaurant collapsed. Big deal. It's been rebuilt. The pier is now bigger and better (and stronger).

One of the biggest aspects of being a business owner is taking risk - you're a fool if you spend money on anything without buying insurance. This coaster didn't look 'new' - and, from the sounds of it, wasn't anything exciting or enjoyable.

Look at SF New Orleans - after they collected the insurance money, they probably realized, "Gee, it might not be such a good idea to rebuild a theme park lower than sea level."

It's called learning from mistakes.. it's what makes things better.

It's very sad to see all the lives and villages destroyed by this storm. As living near the North Sea with having regular storms that go 4 or 5 meters over normal sea level I can understand the feelings of the folks living there. My parents still know the times of the major North Sea flood of 1962 were major areas of nothern germany were flooded and hundreds killed. On the other hand I hope that the US learns it's lesson as germany did at the time: As the biggest construction effort after WWII the German Coastline Protection Works were built all along the coastline and all major rivers to withstand floods up to 7 meters over normal water level. The whole North Sea coast was walled in with dikes/levees. Smaller rivers can be closed with massive flood gates. This however means that no one can live with direct sea view anymore - as you can see on this areal picture of the North Sea bath of Büsum all buildings are of course behind the 8-9 meter high dikes/levees.

P1020414.thumb.JPG.e29a9dc4f52b67cdc7d72d3e9bc3600a.JPG

After the 1962 flood the street level was highly elevated to prevent city flooding

P1020415.thumb.JPG.20c9aa9cd0e35cfd9d55703c79b7373f.JPG

Massive floodgates were installed all over the city to close off low-lying harbor areas

^ Curious... many other people have said they didn't get the Star Jet credit. Just wondering why? Was it closed? Kinda wonder if it was problematic or something...

I believe on my visit it became stuck in one of the brake sections and a guy climbed up with a giant hammer. After an hour of watching, riding other stuff, getting a parking ticket, and waiting, it was deemed a lost cause.

I'm sure that most of the ACEr/Enthusiass simpering is brought on by them not having the credit, and now they'll never be able to add it to their precious Coaster Count, which is obviously all so much more important than having money or a place to live or food or a life or regular sex...I swear the only thing more annoying than these people are Bronies.

dt

I feel bad for the people in the area that lost these parks. I was thinking about the situation and thought about what would happen if a huge storm hit LA and destroyed the Santa Monica pier and all the rides in Pacific Park. I'll be quick to admit that the Santa Monica West Coaster is very possibly the most boring (and over priced) coaster I've ever been on. I've seen monorails with more thrills. However I remember riding it when I was a kid when we would go to the beach out there. When I was living in the dorms my wife (girlfriend at the time) and I used to take the bus down to the Pier all the time and spend the day there. It is where we did the majority of our dating. Needless to say the Santa Monica pier holds a lot of great memories for me and is a place that I consider special. The coaster sucks, but if it were destroyed I would be upset about it. Not because the world has lost a great ride, but because the park held special memories for me. Sure they can rebuild it, and I would hope they do, but still it would never be the same as before. Santa Monica is one of those places where I hope for continuity over the years (despite knowing changes will be made).

Looking over at the rides lost in New Jersey, I feel bad for the people who held those boardwalks and piers in the same place I hold the Santa Monica Pier. I'm sure there were a lot of people who just watched a lot of memories, happy times, and special places, wash out into the Atlantic. I bet a lot of those people would tell you the rides sucked, but it didn't really matter because it was never about the rides being good. It was about the place, and the memories associated with those rides. Hopefully they do rebuild and a new generation of people can make their own happy memories there.

Any news on Rye playland?

Yes... they're making a big deal out of nothing on their Facebook page. Here are some photos of the complete and total "devastation".

They need to make new ice!!!!! Oh dear god!

OH THE HUMANITY, the kiddy boardwalk was lifted TWO INCHES from the pavement!

I can hardly stand to look!

Link

---

The boardwalk needs to be replaced and all that, but the way people are talking on their Facebook page is annoying. None of the rides were damaged, and I figured Playland was screwed being where it is. Nobody on the Jersey Shore, lower Manhattan, the New York shorelines or flooded areas of Westchester wants to hear them talk about their "bad hit from Sandy". The taxpayers will pay to fix Playland anyway once they're done paying to fix their destroyed homes and businesses since many of these people lived in areas that have never flooded and didn't get flood insurance.

I'm just disappointed that Super Flight wasn't damaged.

Needless to say the Santa Monica pier holds a lot of great memories for me and is a place that I consider special. The coaster sucks, but if it were destroyed I would be upset about it. Not because the world has lost a great ride, but because the park held special memories for me. Sure they can rebuild it, and I would hope they do, but still it would never be the same as before.

See, and it's interesting you say that, because a storm destroyed the old Santa Monica Pier in 1983 which later resurrected into the pier that you had all your memories on. Everything is cyclical. The piers will be back. The rides will be back. And new memories will be made.

Needless to say the Santa Monica pier holds a lot of great memories for me and is a place that I consider special. The coaster sucks, but if it were destroyed I would be upset about it. Not because the world has lost a great ride, but because the park held special memories for me. Sure they can rebuild it, and I would hope they do, but still it would never be the same as before.

See, and it's interesting you say that, because a storm destroyed the old Santa Monica Pier in 1983 which later resurrected into the pier that you had all your memories on. Everything is cyclical. The piers will be back. The rides will be back. And new memories will be made.

I had no idea that it had been destroyed. I learn something new every day!