TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hurricane Sandy vs. Roller Coasters

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Jet is now listed as Defunct on RCDB... guess it's official then.

Also, for those that think piers affected by the hurricane will get bigger and better rides... they won't. What's the incentive? In a few years a storm like this will probably happen again, so any investment greater than cheapo carnival rides will be lost all the same.

Edited by UrbanLegend

Wow, I'm really glad I got that credit, literally two months ago (almost to the day). It always saddens me to see coasters in such a state, even if they are a giant steel turd. A lot of hard work goes into these rides, but it really all comes down to nature doesn't give a s***. Somebody already updated Star Jet's RCDB page.

EDIT: ^Curse you! Beat me to it

I've never been there but I always get emotional seeing stuff like that. Yeah, maybe for us coaster geeks that coaster wasn't the epitome of greatness or anything, but for lots of people an amusement park is an icon of fun and joy, especially pier parks. and there's probably lots of people who used to go there and enjoy it on a regular basis. So it saddens me to think of something like that collapsing into the ocean.

Not going to lie...Start Jet is probably better off being an artificial reef in the ocean then beating people up any more!

This. That thing was horrible! I advise all sea life in the area to stay far, far away from this ride.

Like many have said, I'm sure anyone running a business next to the ocean was prepared for something like this to happen, and they have a plan for rebuilding. And I'm sure there are many enthusiasses whining over not being able to "get this credit", but it could be a chance for the pier to be rebuilt and the attractions to be updated. Sucks for the folks that own the business there, but honestly I find myself more concerned about people that lost their houses than a coaster.

dt

lol! You mean that the picture of the coaster collapsed in the water wasn't good enough for you???

Always sad to see coasters destroyed like that

I disagree. I'm HAPPY to see some coasters destroyed!

I'm sure the park would disagree with you there.

I didn't say the park would agree with me. I was disagreeing with YOU. Personally, I don't feel sad when an awful coaster gets destroyed. I feel sad when people have to ride an awful coaster, so when a ride like that meets its demise, that makes me happy!

--Robb

lol! You mean that the picture of the coaster collapsed in the water wasn't good enough for you???

I'm sure that a few determined enthusiasts with kayaks or fishing boats could have this coaster disassembled then reassembled on dry land in no time.

Really? Some of you are getting 'emotional' over the loss of the coaster? People that were probably never going to even ride this coaster? It's a ROLLER COASTER!

If you're going to get emotional over anything get emotional over the people who died or got hurt, not some dumb ride.

I'm sure that a few determined enthusiasts with kayaks or fishing boats could have this coaster disassembled then reassembled on dry land in no time.

Save Teh Starr Jett??

Oh, and for the people saying they may not be able to bounce back, or they may not be able to get something better in place of the coaster...

1. If Knoebels, Hershey, SFoG, SFoT, etc. can all bounce back after horrific flooding and damage more than once every 100 years surely they can.

2. I can't think of any credit worse they could get in that spot!

Some businesses don't bounce back after stuff like this happens, hopefully their insurance covers them to a degree where they are able o reopen.

Depends. Since this was rated a hurricane, probably not. If it was a tropical storm they'd have a better chance at coverage. Of course, this is all heresay without seeing their policy.