TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Sports Cards

I've been a member for years in TPR and I was wondering if there are any people that collect sports cards. Maybe some connections can be made to trade or sell. I currently collect basketball cards and recently just picked up the hobby once again. I got one gem I love so far and I'll post a picture of it and hopefully some of you can show off the beauties you all have! Enjoy!

kobebryantteampatchauto.thumb.jpg.fa5eaf34352b3ea5008bcb3b22e7d924.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As as kid/teenager I collected cards. I've got around 1000 football cards, and 200 NASCAR cards. Those were always the secondary collections however. I've got approximately 12,000 Baseball cards, and another 10,000 or so hockey cards. Admittedly they are now sitting in a closet gaining value and dust.

I collected many cards in the 90's including comic cards. Being a kid in middle school and finding out the card you pulled from a pack was $25,$50 or $100 felt like you won the lottery. I sold my old collection in the early 2000's so I'm giving it another try for fun.

My father was a huge card collector growing up in the 60's and 70's and it was a hobby that he tried to pass on to my brother and I. We never got nearly as into as he was but he did buy both of us complete sets of Topps Baseball Cards every year from when we were born until we were like 8 or 9, so I've got complete sets of cards from every year starting in 1984- 1993ish that have never been opened and I have no idea what is inside them. At one point I thought they would be worth a lot of money or something when I was older but seems like the card industry has died significantly over the years, so now there are just fun collectibles to me.

But my dad on the other had has tons of mint condition vintage cards of just about everyone famous ball from his era, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Cy Young, Pete Rose, 6 McGuire Rookie cards, and who knows what else. He don't do much with them, sometimes will give cards of childhood favorites to friends as gifts, but all in all it's a pretty cool collection.

The prize of his collection is probably an autographed ball and picture of Willie Mays making the famous "catch" from the 1954 World Series, it's always a nice conversation piece when he has company.

Baseball cards for me, but I stopped collecting about 20 years. And for the most part I only collected Topps and the first few years of Upper Deck

I have full Topps sets from 1973-1990. 1973-1980 were sets I compiled, so not all cards are mint. I have partial sets from 1970-72 but never got around to completing.

In the earlier 1990's I started buying cards of star plyers and HoFers (and those I expected the Veteran Committee to elect) from the 50's and 60's and those cards are my pride and joy.

My biggest mishap was a flooded basement was I was young that pretty much dissemated my doubles from 1975 and 1976. I had over 4,000 cards from those years including 8 or 9 rookie cards of George Brett and Robin Yount, but there are all lost except the single ones I had put in binders.

In the late 80's early 90's I sent away for a lot of special autograph offers and have many specialty cards (Nabisco, Ball Park Parks) signed by Hall of Famers but not 100% sure they are legit. The best autograph is a 8 x 10 Joe Dimaggio that I got through the company I used to buy boxed sets from as a gift for spending a certain amount, but again not 100% sure it is legit.

Lastly I remember when Topps Magazine first came out they had a list of Hall of Famers home address and I sent a personalized letter to each and got quite a few autographs back (Bob Lemon, Johnny Pesky, Lou Boudreau, Duke Snider, Bobby Doerr, Enos Slaughter)

I'm a prospector. I live and die by Bowman Chrome and Bowman Draft Picks and Prospects. It's been a good few years. Too bad all the money goes to bills.

I know the feeling! I recently gotten married so the bills have kept my renewed "investments" on a very minimal scale... for now!

This thread made me curious so I busted out two of my binders (1 hockey and 1 baseball) and flipped through a couple pages. Sure enough I've got a handful of gems in there. Among my baseball cards I found rookie cards for Griffey Jr, Bond, Clemens, Mcgwire, and a few Pedro Martinez cards. Somewhere (I believe in another binder) I know I have a Ripkin rookie card sitting around.

Over on the hockey side of things I found a few gems (granted I went looking for these specific cards) including a Selanne and Lindros rookie card. The Lindros card is actually from his minor league days, I can't help but think injuries drove the value down. Finally I found my two Mario Lemieux rookie cards. One of them I purchased for $10 bucks back in the mid 90's and is in mint condition. The other one I found in a random box of cards (the card shop I used to go to sold boxes of 1000 cards for $25 bucks, generally you got 995 cards of third line role players, but every now and then something awesome would find it's way in there. Most of the rookie cards I listed for both baseball and hockey came from those box sets.) that I had purchased.

I collected some sports cards when I was younger, but my real passion for decades has been non-sports cards (TV, movies, comics, war, etc.). In fact, last weekend I attended the semi-annual Philly Non-Sports Card Show in Pennsylvania (which I've posted about in the past on TPR) and found a ton of great stuff. I do regret having not purchased a graded 1965 Topps "King Kong" test that was on sale there for $90. I looked it up, and it's worth around $130; the cheapest one I can find online right now is $175, and that one isn't graded and is in lesser condition than the one I could have had for $90. Oh well; I spent too much as it was.

Sports-wise, my dad leads the pack in my family. His mother was somewhat OCD, so not only did she keep her entire house, including his room, spotless, but she made him keep all of his comic books, baseball cards, toys, etc., in perfect shape and, when applicable, in their original boxes. Then when he moved out she sealed off his room as a sort of shrine. Today he has all kinds of great cards--original Mickey Mantles, Ted Williams-es, etc., in near-mint condition or better. And he hasn't bought a single one since 1982 (which is when he got his Ripken rookie, pulled from a 35-cent pack of Donruss that I think he probably bought just so I could have the bubble gum).

Autograph-wise, my favorite is my Hank Aaron ball (which I know is legit because I watched him sign it).

Another collectible I have is a basketbal jersey that Bill Laimbeer wore in an IBM commercial about ten years. I worked at the Ad Agency and the jersey was passed on the me. Moses Malone, Muggsy Bogues, Detlef Shrempf and Xavier McDaniel were also in the commercial, I would much rather have one of their jerseys.

So for everyone who sells, what has been your biggest sale?

For single cards, I sold an autographed Matt Weiter rookie for $156 and a Joe Mauer one for $153. Oddly enough, my third highest sale was $150 for a Chris Coghlan autographed rookie (numbered to 25 copies). Bet that guy feels dumb now.

I also sold 3 boxes of 2010 Bowman baseball for $875 at the height of Strasburg mania (this was the first release of his rookie card).

Edited by Jew