TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Texas State Fair Icon Burns!

The Dallas Morning News reported that Big Tex, the famous icon of the Texas State Fair, caught fire this morning.

October 19, 2012 10:43 AM CDT October 19, 2012 11:02 AM CDT

State Fair of Texas icon Big Tex goes up in flames

Published: 19 October 2012 10:43 AM

Big Tex went up in flames this morning at the State Fair of Texas.

The fire was reported shortly after 10 a.m. at the fairgrounds in Dallas.

“It’s a very sad day for all fair-goers,” fair spokeswoman Sue Gooding told Fox 4 News. “It’s a sad way to end the fair.”

Gooding said the smoke could be seen coming from Big Tex’s neck. She suspects it may have been electrical in nature.

“We did lose the clothes, his hat and head,” she said.

Only the skeletal structure was left of the iconic statue that had greeted fairgoers for 60 years.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me crazy, but I some how think this was all planned. The state fair was being overly nostalgic about Big Tex months leading up to the State Fair (if you are a fan on Facebook you will know what I mean) I think it was time to retire the current version of Big Tex in favor of a more modern High Tech version, but knowing that the people of Texas sometimes are not to into change; they figure they just could not "Remove" Big Tex in favor of a new one. So how do you replace an Icon?... Destroy the original! Now you have your excuse and media coverage. I know my Facebook news feed is blown up right now with stories of it. Maybe my imagination is running wild here, but it just seems so fishy to me. I would be interested to see if and insurance claim is filed or not.

Ryan

What's ironic about all this for me is that a coworker (originally from Texas) and I were having a conversation about the Texas State Fair this morning, and "Big Tex" came up. She was the one who alerted me later that he was on fire a few hours later.

Edited by cfc

Call me crazy, but I some how think this was all planned. The state fair was being overly nostalgic about Big Tex months leading up to the State Fair (if you are a fan on Facebook you will know what I mean) I think it was time to retire the current version of Big Tex in favor of a more modern High Tech version, but knowing that the people of Texas sometimes are not to into change; they figure they just could not "Remove" Big Tex in favor of a new one. So how do you replace an Icon?... Destroy the original! Now you have your excuse and media coverage. I know my Facebook news feed is blown up right now with stories of it. Maybe my imagination is running wild here, but it just seems so fishy to me. I would be interested to see if and insurance claim is filed or not.

Ryan

Loving the conspiracy!

I think we should start a fund and take donations to buy the remains of big Tex, store him while we find somewhere permeant to put him and then restore him so that future generations can enjoy Big Tex too.

What an original idea, it's bound to work. I'm thinking we should try and find a plot of land in Ohio.