TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Paramount theme park proposed for the UK

Just saw this on my local news, very interesting, this is just 5 miles from me so I thought I'll share it here

A new Disney-like entertainment theme park could be coming to north Kent, with the announcement of plans to spend two billion pounds building a theme park on an 872 acre brownfield site in the Swanscombe Penninsula.

The developers behind the bid - London Resort Company Holdings (LRCH), are working in conjunction with the Hollywood-based Paramount Pictures company. LRCH claim if approved, their scheme would be of the largest regeneration projects in Europe and could lead to the creation of up to 27,000 jobs.

"Our vision is to create a world-class entertainment destination, the first of its kind in the UK," he said. "We are at the start of a long journey, but have been encouraged by the support and buy-in we have had to date. We are particularly pleased with the appetite we are seeing from investors, who consider this a compelling investment proposition.

"Over the next 12-18 months we will be progressing the planning application, while embarking on a wide-reaching programme of community consultation, while securing further commercial agreements with third parties. Our timetable for delivery, including the planning application process and construction timetable, is geared towards completion and opening in 2018."

– Tony Sefton, Project leader, London Resort Company Holdings (LRCH)

The proposed site is near Ebbsfleet International railway station - meaning it would be just a17-minute journey time from London, and two hours from Paris. The theme park would feature Europe's largest indoor water park, theatres, live music venues, attractions, cinemas, restaurants, event space and hotels. It would be twice the size of the Olympic site. If approved the developers project an opening in 2018.

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2012-10-08/plans-revealed-for-disney-style-theme-park-in-kent/

article_ca1bf608ff3555a2_1349689290_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg.cab853f61d1e0ff77b061acc755145d4.jpeg

article_27ff1e9b9dc98d73_1349691475_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg.800a5c3709240982fa8354e71ac7720d.jpeg

Edited by jedimaster1227

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see a woody with a vertical loop!

I noticed this but... they say this would be 4 times the size of the olympic park... that woody wraps itself happily around 50% of that picture... Seems unrealistically large.

It certainly would be nice to have another park within 30min of me (Thorpe, Chessington and Legoland already) but I doubt this will progress.

Hey look! Another proposed Paramount Park! Isn't this like the 6th or 7th project they've been involved in over the past few years? How many of those parks have gotten built?

Exactly. I highly doubt this will go anywhere. It's just as outlandish as nearly every other proposed park is now.

I see a woody with a vertical loop!

Not that I expect this park to ever happen, especially not in the proposed form we'd see here but you'd think Paramount would've learned from Son of Beast...

Again, I'm not holding my breath that we'll see this concept gain any traction, but in the strange event it does, I hope that the place can find success. I do wonder though if the UK market is saturated when it comes to theme parks considering Merlin's presence alone, along with all of the smaller independent parks there. When was the last time a brand new full scale theme park even opened in the UK?

I'm sure Paramount actually has very little to do with this park outside of "we'll gladly take your money and license you the brand."

Exactly, Why wouldn't Paramount or any other company listen to a developer. It doesn't hurt to listen and if they do manage to get investors they stand to make money.

Honestly, I hope this isn't a sign that Paramount is going to buy back Kings Dominon, Kings Island, Carowinds, Great America and Canada's Wonderland. Cedar Fair has done such a good job taking care of those parks.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I imagine there's a big difference between running a chain of parks and just licensing out your name to someone else.

Honestly, I hope this isn't a sign that Paramount is going to buy back Kings Dominon, Kings Island, Carowinds, Great America and Canada's Wonderland. Cedar Fair has done such a good job taking care of those parks.

Paramount would serve only as the licensor in this scenario. They wouldn't be operating or managing a park, like they did when they owned those parks. Intellectual property licensing and theme park operations are two very, very, VERY different worlds!

EDIT: I see Chuck already answered this! lol

Edited by robbalvey

Sorry if I may sound silly. But how, or were, paramount's parks when they owned them? Did they sell the parks because of financel difficulties, or am I just pressuming that?

The parks were not a core business of Viacom/CBS, so they were sold.

• 2 years later...