TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Are you a Kickstarter?

disneyfan1313

I've dabbled in Kickstarter a few times in the past but have recently become pretty addicted and wondered if there is anyone else on TPR who has used it. There have even been a few TPR/Theme Park things in the past!

For those of you who are unaware - Kickstarter is a way to "invest" in all sorts of random projects and businesses. Everything from tech start ups to comics to movies to food! There is risk involved (the project could fail) but there is also the possibility of reward (swag or first dibs on a project!).

Here are some of my favorite projects both past and current - post some cool ones you guys find as well!

This is a TPR related one that unfortunately wasn't popular enough to be funded. That is the way Kickstarter works - if they don't reach their funding goal then no one gets charged. This was the Wild Bill's Dark Ride Paradise.

There is also a project by one of our very own members - Piano John! He is doing one to fund a cast recording of "Theme Park Diva the Musical" which was talked about on TPR earlier this year. This has a ways to go in its funding so it might be a great opportunity to help a fellow member! www.kickstarter.com/projects/440330215/theme-park-diva-2012-orlando-fringe-cast-recording?ref=live

Earlier in the year I helped to fund Charlie Kaufman's movie "Anomalisa". I am a huge fan of Dan Harmon (Community) and Charlie Kaufman so I knew that I had to help fund this.

What cool projects can you guys find?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen this site through several different outlets and it seems like an interesting concept. I've personally never donated any money to any project because the whole thing seemed a little sketchy no matter how great the project was, but I may re-consider in the future.

There was one last fall where 3 guys from Kentucky were trying to raise 2 million or so dollars to fund a Superbowl commercial to promote the state of Kentucky. That one seemed pretty cool to me(native Kentuckian), but I never donated because I thought the goal was way out of reach. They did eventually fail but said they would try again this year for the 2013 Superbowl, and if they so I'll give em a couple of dollars.

I haven't contributed to any yet, but I have been following this site. I think it's an important trend for funding creative projects, especially anything remotely non-mainstream. I'm especially interested in watching game developers use it to fund games that large publishers wouldn't ever try, since they wouldn't be mega-sellers with endless sequels. Very interested to see what the Shadowrun Online people do with their money!

dt

I first heard of the site through some random bra with a pocket trying to get off the ground.

It seemed like a great idea but by the time I went to the site it had already closed due to a huge amount of interest. Now I look forward to buying the bra when it comes out for real!

^ for you or for Robb?

Micro finance seems cool, but how many projects are really successful? I mean, I understand there is an inherit risk in being an entrepreneur, and I can't really describe why I'm apprehensive about the idea.. but I just am. Something about the internet being full of weirdos, and if these people couldn't sell their friends and family on the idea...? It could either be "cool, you found out that some people might like it" or you could just find the super small niche of people who were looking for that product and stumbled upon it (as in literally the only people on the planet who would want it, just just a sample of the population)

I've funded two things on Kickstarter. One was a charity set up by bronies that I wanted to support (over 10k raised if I recall correctly, I was extremely proud that we did that well), the other was a documentary film I liked the premise of. Have my name in the credits of that second one!

I love the concept behind Kickstarter, and if I had more disposable income, there are more than a few projects I'd love to throw some cash towards.

I've browsed, but never donated. The ones I do see that I would probably donate to have usually met their goal (and gone way above) and are sold out of the backer gifts.

I've also looked on Indiegogo, same premise, but it seems to be more for causes than products. It's where money was raised for the bus monitor in New York that was harassed by the students and where the Oatmeal is currently raising funds to build a Tesla museum.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - So I have to confess. I just funded the most ridiculous thing EVER.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/tunaandtherockcats/amazing-acro-cats-and-rock-cats-purr-fect-tour-bus

It's a rock group made up of cats.

Please proceed to make fun of me now...

Oh - and holy crap this is awesome - a house key (cut to your lock!) that is also a bottle opener!

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1826936486/bohk-a-bottle-opening-house-key?ref=category

Edited by disneyfan1313

Kickstarter is a great idea, but I feel that Indiegogo is a more effective approach at earning donations for projects, products, etc.

The difference being, if your goal is not reached on Kickstarter, all of the money that has been donated is then refunded to the person that donated it. With Indiegogo, you get to keep the money that has been donated even if your goal is not reached, and I believe that indiegogo just keeps a small percentage. I see where each has it's advantages and disadvantages, but I would personally use Indiegogo if choosing. I know people that have used both and all of them preferred Indiegogo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My friend in Orlando, John Frank, just posted his Kickstarter campaign in an attempt to fund his next studio album.

His Bio:

John Frank is a singer/songwriter based out of Orlando, Fl. A nine time performer at The Florida Music Festival, he has opened for national acts such as Foreigner, Tonic, and Everclear, just to name a few. Although his influences pull from all different genres, his music is best described as adult contemporary pop/rock in the vein of Rob Thomas, John Mayer, and The Fray. John recently caught the ears of Orlando Sentinel music critic Jim Abbott , who had had this to say about the up and coming artist: “John writes compact, guitar-powered songs mixed with catchy melodies and surprising muscle at times”.

No stranger to the studio, John has released 3 records and his songs have been spun on college radio stations throughout the Southeast. He has also toured up and down the east coast on numerous occasions, playing esteemed songwriter venues such as Eddie's Attic (Atlanta, GA) and The Bluebird Cafe (Nashville, TN).

His high energy live performance displays his diversity as a musician, showcasing John on guitar, piano, harmonica, and even the drums. Although he considers himself an original artist first, John also plays cover sets and has enough material learned to fill 3-4 hours.

John is currently writing material for his next record, which has a tentative release date of May 2013.

^I just saw that on you FB page and honestly that is one of the better Kickstarter project pages I've seen. $500 for a private concert for a party seems like a steal, plus all of the other stuff he is offering is really. Seems like he is very passionate which I guess is what this whole thing is all about anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

I sponsored a music video for a local group I really liked. They were called Bison from Chesapeake, VA. After the Kickstarter ended, they got signed by a major label and changed their name to The Last Bison.

Here is a link to the song from the video. Its free on SoundCloud:

soundcloud.com/universalrepublic/the-last-bison-switzerland

And here is the video, got my name in the credits and some sweet swag from the band: