TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The NL/NL2 Preview Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a NL-2 Maurer-Sohne idea I've been playing with. It has 2 LSM launch areas and 4 inversions. I like the color scheme, but have been playing around with different colors as well.

Still playing with terrain and scenery.

screenshot-2014-02-27-02-00-57.thumb.jpg.82bb6e2498bc050f8639cf54edb11f27.jpg

Maurer-Sohne idea.

Alright, here a little double-station-reserve-launch-&-reverse-return system I scripted for an upcoming coaster. It took some time to figure out the scripting, but it's marvelous to see it working properly.

At the moment Auto mode is working perfectly. Block mode still has some issues.

Something Ive been working on i NL1, its a Intamin, launching at aprox. 44 mph.. not sure if I should continue, but its always fun to share my randomness

1.jpg.7e63d07ff46caef5717f2812cb91ac74.jpg

Brakerun and selfmade catwalk

2.jpg.53668a3db3c68a0b79247e3cf8d0e885.jpg

twist turn hill

3.jpg.b269e079d7df4176eebe31012a59dfa3.jpg

start of the launch and more selfmade catwalks

• 4 weeks later...

It looks pretty good, but a lot of the "hand held recorded" parts have a bit of Uncanny Valley-ness going on in terms of the camera work. They kind of feel like they're in between keyframing and actual footage and it's a little bit awkward.

EDIT: Are some of the shots using different frame rates?

Edited by A.J.

The handhelds for me started with NL1. Back then there were no options for offride footage that you could control. In NL2, there's more options, but the ones I want to use are currently being looked at by the team. The first half of the video makes use of handhelds while the second half was supposed to use lots more scripted cameras. The issue is that attaching a target object to a train resulted in weird jitters - the team isn't sure of what causes it. I was going to have lots of flying tracks with attached cameras that target the train, but unfortunately this could not happen. Therefore I had to sub in more handhelds in the 2nd half.

None of the handhelds are keyframed except for a few zooms - most are meant to be obvious but some are hidden.

They are all done by hand on a very low-end laptop with no dedicated graphics card (me), so there are various mouse input FPS lags/drops that I have to account for while shooting and smoothing afterward using stabilizers. While recording, it can take up to a minute to record a small 10-second clip, so my mouse movements have to be very microbial, follow the same path, and be consistent (the hardest part, by far). It takes a bit of a surgical hand and a very clean desk surface to do these sub-millimeter movements over the course of a minute. When there's mistakes, you can notice them as rough edges of panning (typically seen at the end of some clips), so I think this is where you think some are "keyframed" when they actually aren't. I also think that's where you feel like they're "a different FPS" in some clips: mouse FPS =/= screen FPS, which is a huge challenge to deal with.

I also record in 720p because I don't have a big enough monitor, so this creates artifacts in my footage that I have to deal with but I have no other choice. Some turn out good and some are just okay - but I don't mind the character in my clips, so I choose what has the best content.

There's lots of challenges I deal with when I make video because nothing I do is suited for it. I totally love it though.

It takes a bit of a surgical hand and a very clean desk surface to do these sub-millimeter movements over the course of a minute. When there's mistakes, you can notice them as rough edges of panning (typically seen at the end of some clips), so I think this is where you think some are "keyframed" when they actually aren't. I also think that's where you feel like they're "a different FPS" in some clips: mouse FPS =/= screen FPS, which is a huge challenge to deal with.

Yeah, I definitely can relate to dealing with that kind of stuff in a real-time environment. It so freakishly difficult getting everything to look exactly the same especially when some areas of scenes are more CPU/GPU-heavy than others. I even get frame rate issues when I'm batch rendering in Maya sometimes, and that isn't even in real-time!

No worries though, it still is very polished and you're doing good work.

Edited by A.J.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...