TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Golden Ticket Awards 2012 Results

Three things I have noticed about these awards and as such discount them greatly, the host park, previous host park, and ace convention host park seem to get a few more votes I have yet to sign up to request to be a voter, but, I am assuming the voting does not take into consideration when the last time one was actually on a particular ride or at a particular park.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some of these omissions are illogical...

I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that Intimidator 305 isn't in the top 10...

Not only that but what's so good about Nitro, Goliath and Diamondback? If you've ridden one B&M hyper you've ridden them all, I feel like lesser known B&M rides are more deserving, such as Shambhala.

I didn't expect my favorites to line up with the Golden Ticket Awards but yikes... Some glaring differences from what I expected.

I would like to echo the fact that more people need to apply to vote in future years. It's easier than ever now (especially for international voters). Voting is done online.

This is my second year voting and I can tell you that the results I submitted differ greatly in most of the categories. I took a good amount of time when contemplating where to put my votes. It's really a shame that such a large demographic obviously don't take this seriously.

All I can do is keep voting and hope that more enthusiasts (especially internationally) join in to help balance out the results.

I had no idea that you could apply to vote. I was kind of under the impression that the voting was done predominately by people within the amusement industry (which kind of makes the results more understandable).

It really isn't. It's mainly by enthusiasts. However, a lot of the voters are ACE members that think they are so cool that they know people in the industry. Actually, if you work at a park or work for a ride manufacturer you can't vote. However, there are some in the industry who do vote, and I guess I would consider myself to be one of them, but I certainly don't vote in a biased way. If I did, I think all of my votes would be for PA parks as the majority of customers I have are in PA. Though, I have to say it is a little ridiculous that DelGrosso's doesn't get any votes for best food when they clearly have amazing food that is actually made onsite, fresh. But I digress.

I guess I can only reiterate, SIGN UP TO VOTE! I think it is a little important to have some kind of unity in the industry, and creating another awards, like some have suggested, would only hurt. Sign up to vote and let's make this something that everyone can enjoy.

http://www.goldenticketawards.com/gta-faqs

Tim Baldwin

Golden Ticket Awards Coordinator

Telephone: (817) 460-7220

E-mail: tbaldwin@amusementtoday.com

Thanks for this post explaining a bit of the process. I still think it's an issue of people not taking it very seriously or at the very least just voting what they've always voted for because they haven't ridden anything else.

I certainly don't have an issue with having the Golden Ticket Awards but there needs to be a more scientific process or at the very least a way to make sure the votes aren't skewed to one park/chain as they seem to be here.

I'm looking on the site, not finding where one would sign-up to vote for next year.

Edited by Sir Clinksalot

Woah, woah, woah....

How is Intimidator at Carowinds on the top ten list, but i305 is nowhere to be found?>???

Couldn't agree more. With that logic Behemoth from Wonderland should be on their as there to keep consistent with Diamondback, Goliath and Intimidator.

Something else that no-one has really mention, but I wouldn't mind seeing a poll that is split between American parks, the rest of the world's parks, as then have some type of combined composite lists for best in the world. The majority of park goers in America (GP and several enthusiasts included) might never go to Europa or DisneySea or Alton Towers so have a poll that is simply best wooden/steel/park/new ride for America only might be a little more useful for the average american park guest. Then again any sort of "Best Coaster" poll isn't really for the GP anyways so maybe this is useless. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

It's kind of like reading a list of the top 10 best golf courses in America only to realize that half of the courses are private and I can't play them anyways.

Some of these omissions are illogical...

I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that Intimidator 305 isn't in the top 10...

Not only that but what's so good about Nitro, Goliath and Diamondback? If you've ridden one B&M hyper you've ridden them all, I feel like lesser known B&M rides are more deserving, such as Shambhala.

I didn't expect my favorites to line up with the Golden Ticket Awards but yikes... Some glaring differences from what I expected.

Unless I missed it, the voters failed to get Behemoth into the Top 50. Yet, every other B&M hyper made the list.

I have been voting for these awards for a long time and the main reason you dont see 305 in the top 10 is because there will be no steel coaster with otsr in the top ten especially on a coaster that does not go upside down, and that stupid brake just before the airtime hill. How stupid is intamin that they cant even design a good restraint. To the person a few pages back that said KK and TTD are the same coaster, they are not the same and if you have ridden them both you would know. KK rattles your bones and has otsr where as ttd is smooth and only has lapbars. Another thing you have to remember when you are voting on a coaster your not just judging it by the ride, you have to look at every aspect of the ride IE: rerideable, theming,operations. Skyrush is a good coaster but with the crappy restraints and poorly designed station it doesnt make the cut.

I have been voting for these awards for a long time and the main reason you dont see 305 in the top 10 is because there will be no steel coaster with otsr in the top ten especially on a coaster that does not go upside down, and that stupid brake just before the airtime hill. How stupid is intamin that they cant even design a good restraint. To the person a few pages back that said KK and TTD are the same coaster, they are not the same and if you have ridden them both you would know. KK rattles your bones and has otsr where as ttd is smooth and only has lapbars. Another thing you have to remember when you are voting on a coaster your not just judging it by the ride, you have to look at every aspect of the ride IE: rerideable, theming,operations. Skyrush is a good coaster but with the crappy restraints and poorly designed station it doesnt make the cut.

Since this is your first post I'll assume you're probably trolling but I guess I'll humor you a little bit.

When you're judging a coaster, you should judge it based on the ride experience. Saying that we need to factor in anything other than the ride experience itself is ludicrous. When you say that we need to look into additional factors, is one of those factors that the ride needs to be at Cedar Point? It must be because Magnum is not a top ten coaster otherwise and Mean Streak would never be within the top 50.

PS: Since we're talking about excessive restraints and bad operations hurting certain ride's rankings... explain Bizarro at SFNE being #2. Go ahead, I'll wait. They stack that thing constantly... not as bad as NJ Bizarro but still pretty bad.

PSS:

that stupid brake just before the airtime hill
The #7 ranked Intimidator at Carowinds says hi.

I think the wooden coaster list is pretty reasonable. The beast at #7 is good for me. And thats coming from a person that LIVES in OHIO. I think Cedar Point is really overratted IMO. Milenium Force judging by the POVS is not the best layout out there there better ones(ex. Leviathan) I think Diamondback should be placed lower even though i love the ride. Maybe at like #20 in the list. Skyrush should be placed higher. Diamondback would be #10 if it wasnt for the B&m roughness after the overbanked turnaround. it rattles you so bad. Otherwise i think the steel coaster list is highly INACCURATE in terms of comparing it with Mitch Hawkers poll. Wooden list is good for me except for mean streak(WT

Coming from ohio,

Joshua

The only thing I agree with here is that TTD and KK do indeed give drastically different rides. Not sure who said that, but that TTD is light years better in my opinion.

I love it! Nothing like a good 'ole Golden Ticket Awards to rattle a few cages! A lot of people saying how they don't take it seriously but then getting v upset. Stop complaining and vote! If you can't vote because you don't get out enough, you definitely can't complain and you can't compare. The number of voters is so insignificant...of course it might not be representative of the masses. I think maybe these are the Golden Ticket Comedy Awards? Certainly made me laugh anyway

For what it's worth, I don't agree with some of the results but I still do love a bit of Cedar Point and I'm not going to knock it because it did well. I do agree with a member who said EPCOT should feature for best food.

Funny that Blackpool is in the top 10...I love a day or 2 there but top 10??!! Funny

Somehow I don't think these awards are going to influence the public too much.

Did I mention I was in Ohio last month on my travels and my taxi driver fell asleep at the wheel? Maybe Sleeping At the Wheel Taxi Driver's of Doom of Ohio Awards would be taken more seriously next year??

I'm looking on the site, not finding where one would sign-up to vote for next year.

E-mail Tim Baldwin directly and request to be a voter. I e-mailed a couple years ago. I included where I live, the number of parks I've visited and coasters I've ridden. Received a ballot the next voting year. Here's the info:

Tim Baldwin

Golden Ticket Awards Coordinator

Telephone: (817) 460-7220

E-mail: tbaldwin@amusementtoday.com

Unless I missed it, the voters failed to get Behemoth into the Top 50. Yet, every other B&M hyper made the list.

I read somewhere that Behemoth was ranked 17th this year.

Edited by kunpc1

Im so pissed! Ive been on Skyrush 24 times, and im very dissapointed(PISSED) it didnt make top 15 aleast!!!! Are you kidding me that Intimedator at Carowinds is in top 10! Lost of BS going pn there..it better change next year. Even Leviathan isnt in top 15 which shocked me since its a B&M Giga.

P.s. where is I-305? #12???? Really!!! It should be in top 3!!! These GTA are not very accurate at all...Mitch Hawker needs to make a poll...any news if he will?

Im so pissed! Ive been on Skyrush 24 times, and im very dissapointed(PISSED) it didnt make top 15 aleast!!!! Are you kidding me that Intimedator at Carowinds is in top 10! Lost of BS going pn there..it better change next year.

...or you'll do what?

Im not doing anything. Haha....What i meant was that they should change it so its correct. They give some awards out that shouldnt be given out

Personally I like Intimidator at Carowinds. I dont like Millenium Force. It isnt my favorite at all. I love Maverick. So people have different opinions but I like Voygage better than El Toro but El Toro is in my top 5 and its number 2 so that one isnt a big deal to me but Bizarro at Six Flags in New England still gets my top steel vote. I just never understood why Intimidator gets such bad reviews on here. I like that much better than Goliatah at SFOG, but again just my opinion. X is the only coaster to date that I have ridden that still gives me chills and Tatsu is a little painful to me. So most of the list I can see where they are coming from.