TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

A Week in Tokyo

Gutterflower

Hi guys

It looks like I may get to spend a little time in Tokyo next month with 6 or 7 days to do as I please.

There are tons of parks in Japan I really want to do but what would peoples tips be for getting the most out of the Tokyo area park wise. I've done a fair amount of research but a bit of first hand knowledge would be much appriciated.

My current thoughts are as follows

1) I could get Tokyo Aqua Stadium and Joyopolis done in half a day (as far as I'm aware Tokyo Dome City is still pretty much SBNO for the time being?)

2) Yomouri Land is pretty much a must for me and looks like it wouldn't be too bad to get to.

3) The 2 Disney Parks would take up 2 days

4) A day for general sight seeing would be nice

That leaves me with a few days spare so I have a few questions.

Is Fuji-Q possible in a day from central Tokyo, I've read yes but is it really worth it?

If so and you had the choice of Yokohoma Cosmoworld, Fuji-Q and Tobu Zoo which two would you advise?

Now that HayaBusa is gone is there much to do at Tokyo Summerland?

And finally, I remember a crazy thing you guys did on a Japan trip which was essentially like an Indoor Crystal Maze type thing with loads of games and challenges, If I remember correctly though this is now closed correct?

Any help\thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't be of too much assistance, but as far as I could tell while I was in Tokyo, all of the rides at Tokyo Dome City were up and running, except Thunder Dolphin. Also, unless you purely want your trip to be about parks, I'd recommend spending more than one day doing "general sightseeing". I was there for two weeks, visited zero parks, and still didn't get to see and experience everything I wanted to hit up. Of course, if that isn't your cup of tea, that's understandable too, but it would be an absolute shame to not spend some time just exploring one of the coolest cities on the planet.

In answer to a few of your questions:

- I'd do Cosmoworld and Tobu Zoo. I personally think Fuji-Q is one of the worst parks in the world (horrid operations and rain policies), but I also know it has a lot of credits and a lot of people are really into the whole credit counting thing, so if that's your thing then you might want to visit. It's kind of up to you to decide whether or not it would be worth it to make an effort to get there. I honestly have no idea how difficult it is to get there, as both times I've visited it was part of a TPR trip (my favorite way to travel!).

- That place you describe was called Muscle Park, and it is indeed closed. Which is sad, as it was a really, really cool place.

dt

Thanks guys

I'd recommend spending more than one day doing "general sightseeing". I was there for two weeks, visited zero parks, and still didn't get to see and experience everything I wanted to hit up. Of course, if that isn't your cup of tea, that's understandable too, but it would be an absolute shame to not spend some time just exploring one of the coolest cities on the planet.

Thankfully I have this covered, I am meeting some non theme-parky friends who are currently traveling Asia, I am flying to Tokyo a week early to get some parks in, Then when we all meet we can do some proper sightseeing. So i get the best of both worlds

- That place you describe was called Muscle Park, and it is indeed closed. Which is sad, as it was a really, really cool place.

This is indeed sad I had hoped maybe it had somehow stayed open, Things like this (also the Crystal Maze in Wales) seem to be shutting down far too quickly.

- I'd do Cosmoworld and Tobu Zoo. I personally think Fuji-Q is one of the worst parks in the world (horrid operations and rain policies), but I also know it has a lot of credits and a lot of people are really into the whole credit counting thing,

yeah I'm torn here... I've heard bad things about Fuji-Q pretty much across the board, but there are some pretty unique rides there and it might be worth it during the week, At the same time Yokohama Cosmoworld will give more of a chance to explore Yokohama itself.

The absolutely best thing I can say about Fuji Q is that I had an average day.

It was quiet, but there were still long slow moving lines. Ended up paying for the line skip pass which worked very well, but was the only way to get on everything.

You can get the bus from Shinjuku pretty easy and it's a nice drive.

Takabisha is great fun best ride in the park, I liked Fujiyama and ejanaikia, but the others are a bit average. Also they close if the weather is a bit damp. So careful with that. I organised the entire trip around that one park, far too much work for it.

Yomiuri Land was my favourite of the Tokyo Area parks that I went too. Bandit is great.

I'd spend more time at TDR, it's amazing. Check out any other thread about it on here. Then plan to spend more days there. Also buy your tickets in advance and get there early.

Another vote for Tobu Zoo and Cosmoworld. It's possible to do Fuji-Q but it's a lot of effort and I'd be surprised if you thought it was worth it. I thought the best thing about my visit was that you could see the whole of mount Fuji since there was no cloud cover. I guess that kind of sums up my views on the park!

The other parks are much better representations of the Japanese culture too, so I try for those two.

Good luck doing the whole Disney resort in 2 days, you'll need to plan hard!

In my opinion, LaQua (Tokyo Dome City) is dying a slow and painful death. I think the removal of Linear Gale was the kiss of death for that park.

The million dollar WTF for me is Why would they get rid of a totally functional Intamin impulse coaster with no issues or anything?

Another vote for Tobu Zoo and Cosmoworld. It's possible to do Fuji-Q but it's a lot of effort and I'd be surprised if you thought it was worth it. I thought the best thing about my visit was that you could see the whole of mount Fuji since there was no cloud cover. I guess that kind of sums up my views on the park!

The other parks are much better representations of the Japanese culture too, so I try for those two.

Good luck doing the whole Disney resort in 2 days, you'll need to plan hard!

Ditto, If you are a Disney fan at all, 2 days is not enough unless you have been there before.