TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

So I was at the US-395 offramp the other day . . .

jumbach

and I was stopped at the light to turn onto Virginia. There was a woman there holding up a sign asking for money.

I wondered how life's circumstances make people have to do something like that, then I thought: Wow. I'm down here delivering a grant proposal to a foundation for work. I myself am on my way to ask for money. So that woman and I do have something in common right now.

Funny how life works.

No higher message, just being introspective. That is all.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That isn't an uncommon site in Bangor. Even though I haven't seen the guy recently I am curious if he did get a job. Anyway, we have this guy that stands at the corner of Broadway (Route 15) and I-95 Southbound exit ramp for Exit 185 and the sign reads "will work to feed family" or something. And the guy looks clean shaven and rumors are heard that the guy isn't really poor.

Its kinda creepy having someone else posting from Reno. I'm not used to seeing topics about 395.

Speaking of people with signs asking for money, my dad and I were walking under the freeway at 80 and W. McCarren and there was a pile of like 8 different cardboard signs sitting there waiting for whoever to come back and use them.

There is this person who has been standing at my freeway exit for 3 years now. EVERY DAY.

Now, I understand everybody get's down and out ... but 3 years?

The thing I have noticed though ... if it's too hot, or too cold she's never there.

WTF?!?!? If you need money, you need money.

And jumbach, not to belittle your post, or your nice thoughts ... but ...

You were going to get money for doing work ... not just standing on the corner.

Just tonight, there was this guy and his dog, at my off-ramp from I-71. He was kind of, "artsy" looking, black beret, black shirt, pants and a black bandana sticking out of his pocket. Even his dog was black. His sign was really neatly written, "Travelling through.... need money for fuel and food. Thank you God Bless. I honestly felt bad pulling away. As I was heading north towards home, I came to the stop light where I-71 south exits and there on THAT ramp was a girl with orangey dyed ponytails and a t shirt and mini skirt, presumably his girlfriend, wife, whatever, and she was holding a sign too.

You know, we're all so jaded by those who take advantage of panhandling to support a drug/alcohol habit or to avoid getting a real job (like the person mentioned above who's been working the same corner for 3 years) that we don't pay attention to someone who might be genuinely in real need. It is so odd to get on here tonight and read this.... I am feeling guilty that I didn't stop and give him something. I had six bucks in my pocket that I could have given him. Wonder if somebody helped them out.

Shari "Well, now I am depressed" Shoufler

Here's a reality check...

When I lived in Vegas, one of the news stations followed any of these panhandlers they could find. Guess what, they make a GOOD living at it. When the sun goes down, most of them go home to their 3/2 homes with pool and spa, new cars in the driveway, quite a nice upper-middle-class living.

Sure, there are probably some that really are destitute, but more often than not, it's unlikely. You wanna help the homeless, give to a homeless shelter. That's where the people in real need are. Especially the families!