TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite Coaster Sounds

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GASM'a mid course breaks made that air escaping whoosh noise. I thought aAaconda did too but I was sadly mistaken. It's not exactly a coaster noise, but I love the sound of the water effect on Backlot Stunt Coaster. It sounds like one of those spinner whistles.

Mmmm... so much to pick from. But the one that always makes my mouth water is the sound of an old Anton box beam loop.

There's a sound that reminds me of the Doppler effect (but I know it's just the wheels rushing over track connections and the sound traveling through the mostly hallow box beam.)

Oh yeah, and the sound of the Whizzer's lift hill It's means "I'm back home and safe!"

484185_200136173445356_1945559798_n.jpg

Reading through all these posts, my mind is flooded with all the great sounds of coasters. Another one for me that is very distinct is the Demon (at six flags Great America) when the train RRRRIIIIIIPPPPS over that little drop at the top of the lift. You can usually hear it across the park (if you are a total geek like me and know it well.)

Ahhh! I gotta good one! The sound of a woodie when all the upstops "cling" underneath the track!

Someone mentioned Revolutions brakes. Yes! And Mind Bender and Whizzer... whenever I ride Whizzer (cuz I'm usually near the back) I now usually remember to cover my ears just as the back end passes the end of that brake. It's so freakin loud. But I love it. With my hands over my ears of course. (As much as I love it, I do look forward to the day when all those classic Antons get magnetic brakes like sooperdooperLooper. They are better all-around for the ride, and on the riders.)

Another good one - the sound of the Blue Streak trains coming into the brake run when I worked at CP... the skid brakes were so quiet. I remember after working an occasional couple hours at any other ride, I would want to kiss the station ground when I got back to my beloved Blue Streak. It was so much quieter. Except for our never ending spiels (which were done ALL-LIVE every minute of the day) and the buzzer when the train went down the fourth hill (letting you know you best get the other train out or suffer the wrath of a shutdown!) Man I really loved that ride back then. I'll never get over what they did...

The best, the B&M Roar. Especially Nemesis and Kraken.

You must be getting your Florida B&M coasters that begin with a 'K' mixed up. Kraken is one of the B&M rides that uses sand (either in the supports or the spine, not sure) to keep the noise down.

I see Arrow trains disengaging the lift mentioned (Demon), Anton loops, and obviously B&M roar. I'm going to add the clank some B&M trains make as the chain dog moves around- typically as they navigate an inversion.

I also love the sounds of TTD - on ride and off. The sound of the break fins dropping, and the clunk of the cable engaging with the train are memorable on-ride sounds, and the bass roar of the launch itself is something I love to hear when I'm walking thru the park. I like the sound of the floor dropping away on B&M floorless coasters (that's cool in and of itself, both sound and sight) too. And of course there's the chain lifts of most woodies - the classic "clink-clink-clink" of anti-rollbacks which can often be heard at a good distance.

Of non-coaster sound sources, I'd say I like best the sound of S&S Screamin' Swings the best. The first time I rode one of those that rhythmic roaring of air added another dimension to my ride experience, and it sounds for all the world to me like a huge creature that's breathing heavily. Sounds ominous, especially to anyone who might be afraid of such a ride.

I love that high-pitched noise you hear when cars advance in stations... you hear it on USF's Mummy for example, and a bunch of other rides...

Also love the B&M roar and their advance noise... means your ride is coming soon!

When you are standing in line for a B&M and you hear the coaster as it roars right past you.

My Favorite individual coaster sound would have to be Skyrush while you are watching it from the new path. I love hearing the chain lift start and then hearing the coaster going over your head.

• 1 month later...