TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite Coaster Sounds

Obviously, coasters make a lot of noise, but I'm talking about sounds more specific than a B&M. What are your favorite little sounds that coaster make?

I love whenever an Intamin pre-fab crests a hill. That "grrr-RRRP" is always pleasing to my ears. Standing in El Toro's line is amazing for me because of those two hills directly alongside you. I also love that kind of "echo" some B&M's make when they attach on to the lift. Nitro at SFGAdv and Dominator at KD are probably my favorite examples of that echo.

On a related note, PTC buzz bars are also heavenly.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to have to go with the sound that El Toro makes going over the airtime hills, haven't heard that sound on any other wooden coaster.. I also like the sound of B & M hypers, they have a very distinct sound.

Though I haven't been on Balder, from videos it seems like it makes the same sound. I wonder if that's common on all the Intamin pre-fabs.

I'm going to have to go with the sound that El Toro makes going over the airtime hills, haven't heard that sound on any other wooden coaster.. I also like the sound of B & M hypers, they have a very distinct sound.

Though I haven't been on Balder, from videos it seems like it makes the same sound. I wonder if that's common on all the Intamin pre-fabs.

It makes that sound on Colossos too. I heard it very distinctly in the video and it mentions it in the little description.

Definitely the sound of the anti-rollbacks on Arrow lift hills and when the trains disengage from them. Very loud yet a distinctive amusement park sound. Darien Lake's Viper, SFGAm's Demon, BGW's Loch Ness Monster, and Geauga Lake's old Double Loop come to mind as among the loudest lifts I've heard.

The B&M roar as well as the click. click of their lift hills.

The classic traditional sound of the lift hill on wood coasters with PTC trains. Rides like CP's Blue Streak, KI's Beast, SFOG's GASM, and SFStL's Screamin' Eagle are great examples.

The screechin' sound of the LIMs on Intamin's Impulses.

Mind Bender at SFOG going through the loops. It makes a very cool hollow "whoosh" sound that brings me back to riding it back when I was 9 as my first looping coaster.

Also, I love TTD's medley of launch sounds.The hydraulic brake hiss, the launch cable winding up then quickly down, followed by the roar of the train screaming down the track.

Edited by SFOGdude25

I have to agree with the Arrow and PTC lift hills for their very distinctive sounds one associates with parks in general.

Although not really coaster related, I also love the loud whoosh of an S&S Space Shot air tank filling up shortly before launch...

Arrow lift hill for the gold! It just feels like a classic when you hear it while riding it.

An honorable mention is when the Intamin Impulse coasters start with "ckckckck", it just freaks you out when standing in line.

- The sound that the train makes when disengagin the lift hill on an Arrow coaster.

- Air-compressed brakes on an Arrow coaster. I love when they trim the train and open-close repeatedly.

- B&M Roar.