TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Amusing Theme Park / Ride Mishaps and Misfortunes

I've had my share of embarrassing incidents at a few parks, here's a few I can remember...

Idlewild and Soak Zone way back in 1998, I got stuck in the middle of some sort of lazy river/water slide that was elevated above the ground. There wasn't enough water flow or I had a bad raft and I was alone for 3 minutes and started freaking out before some teenagers came up behind me rafts and helped me down the ride.

Wyandot Lake

Launched upside down at least 10 feet in the air off a water slide without my raft!

Some older kid was being a total douchebag a shoving people out of the way on the lazy river and when I called him out he slammed me into the wall and caused a big gash on my foot that started to bleed, had to go to first aid and ended up leaving early.

Cedar Point

Last week believe it or not, I got my hand trapped in between the car and the girls harness in front of me when I was trying to help my dad onto the Corkscrew. The girl, her father and the ride attendant hardly gave a shit and I had to painfully remove it along with my bowling ring!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have quite a few actually! I wouldn't call them true misfortunes as they all brought a laugh or two.

Starting off, riding one of the family raft slides at Waterworld many years ago. I was riding with my mom and a neighbor as we had a huge group of us there at the park. Holding onto a fanny pack, I only had 1 free hand to hang onto the grab handles and with the combined weight, we were flying down that slide. I kept hitting wall after wall and since I wasn't hanging on like I should have, I got flung upward and tumbled into the middle of the raft...this happened several times and we all found this to be quite hilarious. Same day, my dad decided to ride one of the tube slides solo. His double tube must have been slightly deflated as he somehow came out that slide backwards. All of us waiting for him including the lifeguard had a puzzled look.

At SFDK, the family was at SFDK when we had just gotten off the Dinosphere motion simulator. Leave it to my dad that when the ride ended, while everyone else's seats lowered and sat upright, my dad's happened to tilt all the way to the right and he was left on the high end.

One I'd love to see (that Robb, Elissa, and several other TPRers experienced at CGA many years back) was the wobbly wave swinger. There was a brief clip of it in one of their videos (I think this was 2004) where you see it doing its thing. But really, I'd love to see the raw video of this happening!

One I experienced on Firefall (Topspin at CGA), though the ride was running normally, no e-stop occured. Basically, Firefall does 1 full rotation with a locked gondola at a decent speed. The one time I rode it however it went up and over the top and dramatically slowed down, leaving us inverted for several seconds (epic hangtime) as we slowly crept up and over. Once we made it all the way around, the rest of the ride worked as normal minus the slipping gondola towards the end (when you get slowly lowered, facing the firey pond below).

One that happened last weekend at CGA just after getting off Drop Tower, ride ops were getting the next set of riders loaded and locked in. After all that work, they finally realized one of the catch cars was sitting about 10 feet above the gondola and had to get the riders off and get things straightened out. It took probably a good couple minutes before they realized the 1 lone catch car just hovering above the gondola. Of course, being coaster nerds we found it amusing. I'm sure the GP had no clue what we found so interesting/fascinating about the ride mishap.

More CGA water park action, my cousin, Robman, Flagg O'Dim, Flagg's brother, and myself went on their family raft slide, probably just a few pounds under the suggested weight limit. Our raft was poking out the tops of the walls when banking around the corners, and the only thing holding us in was hanging on for dear life otherwise we would have all just sort of dog-piled on each other. At the end of that slide, there are a few trim pads to slow the raft down on that final turn. Did they affect us? Nope! We whipped that last turn, some nice airtime and water flinging up and over my head right onto the one facing me. Definitely a ride on that slide I will never forget and I still laugh about it today.

Last weekend on CGA's flume, my cousin, Robman, JeffyJosephNorcal, Rolercstrluver and myself were prepping to board. One of the members of our party told the attendant that there was going to be 2 of us and then 3. The attendant said "Well, then all 5 of you go on then, take that log over there *points*. It was rather interesting from an outsider's point of view as we shoehorned our bodies into the log. Some GP gave us the strangest looks as my cousin was pushing me down the rest of the way as I couldn't sit all the way. When we hit the splash down, we were flying, and hit the splash down quite hard, soaking everone completely. Luckily for me, I had the seat divider in front of me.

And how about a bunch of TPRers taking over the Intamin kiddie coaster Woodstock's Express. You had some that took both seats, some sitting somewhat sideways due to long legs, some like myself that had to suck in several inches of gut to get the seatbelt to fit. In the end after the strange looks and all, it was very well worth it.

Lastly, watching a Huss Frisbee break down on a hot (112-degree) summer day in Vallejo. While I had never previously seen the ride break down in the past, I found it amusing to watch the ride just slowly rock back and forth with riders on board, followed by a full power down and ride ops having to push the disc so that the entry and exit points line up with the ride entrance/exit paths. This one I have video of:

Shortly after, the ride was running like normal and we got on to ride!

Yup that's all I have for now...I'm sure more interesting/unique rides will happen before the season ends.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

When I went to thorpe park last year, I went onto tidal wave with my brother. For some reason there is a space between the restraint thing and the rest of the boat. Anyway, as a joke my brother and me were shoving each other and there were two big people beside my brother, so I was pushed to the edge of the row. When they pulled the restraint down, my knee got stuck between the gap and it was crushing it. In pain, I stood up but I had to sit on the top of the seats due to the position of my leg. Then they had to raise the restraints and they let me sit in well. Everybody was staring at me thinking as to what had happened. Regardless of that, it was a good ride as always.

On the rapids ride at Kennywood, there is a spot that has two spinning wooden wheels that help boats pass through an open area down into a rapids section. While riding, another boat and ours somehow perfectly alligned with the wheels, causing both boats to roate against eachother in an endless loop. We spun for a few minutes before finally being dislodged by other boats. It was dizzy, hilarious fun.

Camelbeach Waterpark- My friends and I were on the new ride Sandstorm, which is a four person tube slide that has two funnels. Once finish going through the first funnel there is a sensor that tells the ride operators to send the next riders. My friends and I finished the first funnel but we got stuck and couldn't move the tube down. We figured we set the sensor off when we heard the next group of people screaming. So I leaned over the side using my hand to push us forward and we started moving but my hand remained stuck between the slide and tube until the next drop.

Six Flag's The Great Escape- I did 2 back to back rides on Comet and then decided to get water before doing a couple of more rides. When I got back in line I was getting ready to step onto the train when I realized I had put my phone in my pocket, so I got out of line to give my phone to my parents. As I walked back towards the station the same train got stuck on the lift hill. I could of been on that train and have gotten stuck haha.

I felt sorry for them actually. I'm glad I wasn't actually on it though I was ready for the next cycle to start regardless of another glitch (rides were constantly breaking down that day, even Boomerang remained parked partially up on the lift all day...I blame the heat.)

That happens on Taz all the time. It's an E-Stop. You have to manually reposition it so everything is lined up when the ride restarts. It's really easy to spin that thing by hand when it's powered down. SFDK rides don't like the heat (like pretty much every other ride in the world) so you see a lot more break downs on really hot days.

At the 2010 Pride Night at KI, me and some friends were stranded on the second lift hill of Beast for about 45 minute. And it was already pitch dark out. They finally came out and helped us down and provided vans to drive us back into the park. Probably my most memoriable trip to KI ever

SCBB

Coming back to the station after a ride on the Giant Dipper, we didn't stop. We made that turn then went through the tunnel again. (Free ride) We went up the lift hill, and half way up, we stopped. We sat there for 15 minutes, then we started again. (We sat there because someone took there phone out to text there friends that they got a 2nd ride on the Giant Dipper. The ride wouldn't start again until this person put there phone away. Don't ask me why it takes 15 minutes to take 15 minutes to type a text message)

SCBB

Coming back to the station after a ride on the Giant Dipper, we didn't stop. We made that turn then went through the tunnel again. (Free ride) We went up the lift hill, and half way up, we stopped. We sat there for 15 minutes, then we started again. (We sat there because someone took there phone out to text there friends that they got a 2nd ride on the Giant Dipper. The ride wouldn't start again until this person put there phone away. Don't ask me why it takes 15 minutes to take 15 minutes to type a text message)

Did the ride operators not have a P.A. system or attendants to go out and force the rider to put it away?

SCBB

Did the ride operators not have a P.A. system or attendants to go out and force the rider to put it away?

They had the P.A, but the lady who was texting was responding to the P.A saying "Hold on a second"

Not sure if it qualifies, but can't think of anywhere else to post this...back in 94' or 95 my parents took me to Cedar Point and it seemed like there was literally nobody else there because of the overwhelming heat. I vividly remember having the pirate ship and Bernstein Bears area to myself!

• 1 year later...

I LMAO the first time I saw that video !

As for me, the I got quite a few :

Many years ago at La Ronde (I think it was in 2006) I had been waiting for 40 minutes to ride the Toboggan Nordique Wild Mouse. However it was a Firework night (if you didn't knew it La Ronde hosts an international fireworks competition yearly), and sometimes they have to close down some rides due to the smoke. Apparently the Toboggan Nordique is just 10 m high and it's on the opposite side of the park compared to the fireworks, but the smoke was "too much" and they had to close it down when it was my turn. 40 minutes of wait for nothing !

I got stuck several times on rides at The Great Escape (not saying it's a bad park... I actually really like it), I've been stuck on the Comet and The Bobsled a few times, but the funniest was this summer. It was a completely empty day, and I was riding the Desperado plunge flume. The ride op suggested us to ride it another time without getting off, of course my brother and I agreed. The second lift stopped when we were on it, it started to rain and it took 15 min. before someone came to restart the ride. We were soaked after, but not due to the flume !