TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

How does Intimidator 305 compare to Maverick...

I know a lot of you will accuse me of flaming or trying to troll when I say this but after just returning from Cedar Point I can honestly say that Maverick is/was more painful than any roller coaster I've ever ridden (certain seats of Magnum were up there as well)... I got my knees/legs beat up on ol' Son of Beast but those QDCs were some of the most painful transitions I've ever experienced.

This immediately got me thinking... how painful is Intimidator 305 or do the slightly different restraints not box your head/jawline/neck as much? I did everything in my power to broaden my shoulders and snake my neck out to avoid contact but the last two Stengel dives were from hell...

Forgive me ignorance with this apples to oranges comparison but I am curious as to if they are similar in their abuse.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've ridden both and will say that while I don't find Maverick 'rough' per sea, I know what you mean about those OTSR banging ones head. I305 suffers none of those issues, even with almost as quick transitions. I'd chalk it up to the restraints, They both have pretty equal intensity (though my I305 rides were before the re-profiled the first turn), but I305 is much more re-rideable.

Both rides are awesome.

Maverick has a little bit of headbanging during the overbanked turns and during the launch underneath the station, make sure your NOT leaning foreward or you'll whack your head on the seat. Maverick is one of the best rides at Cedar nonetheless.

Intimidator, FOF and Volcano are hands-down the BEST coaster's at KD. If you can tolerate a lot of speed on a coaster, you will have NO trouble on Intimidator. I greyed out on the turn, but I didn't give a damn, I LOVED that ride much better than Millenium Force, but that's just my personal opinion.

I think any ride that's as "twisty" as I305 would benefit from the softer restraints; however, I do think the harder Maverick-type restraints work well enough on rides like Cheetah Hunt at BGT and Superman at Warner Bros. Movie World in Australia.

Although both rides are aggressive, I think it honestly all just depends on how you ride coasters (defensively or not) and your body type. I don't ever have any issues with the restraints on Maverick, but know that many people do.

As for I305 it was never painful or overly uncomfortable but I found that by the end of the ride my collar bones were a little uncomfortable which seems to be a common problem for me with shoulder strap restraints. I had the same issue on Wild Eagle. Nothing that would ever stop me from reriding or thinking I305 is one of the most amazing coasters in the world, but something to note for anyone that doesn't like any discomfort at all. Honestly it may take a ride or two to get used to the way the train moves through the course, but after that I'm sure you'll find yourself riding more defensively and in preparation for the direction changes and it should be nothing short of an amazing ride.

After riding 305 in June I can't imagine what it was like with the harder straps on the restraints when it opened. The softer straps were not a bother at all for me. Of the eight rides I got on it I only had one true case of grey out and that was from sitting in the middle of the train.

The only problems I have with Maverick are the two Stengel dives towards the end when it comes to head bashing. The turns after the first drop may bang you around a little but nothing quite like those two dives. It's still a great ride and the lines it continually has testifies of it.

I agree Mav could benefit from the I305 style restraints, and I'm surprised they haven't swapped em to be honest. That being said, I did a solid hour of ERT one time on Mav and easily could have kept going, once you've done it once, you can figure out how to prepare for the rough spots.

All in all ride wise, I305 edges out Mav, but they are still my #1 and #2 coasters respectively.

I love both rides. The primary difference-IMHO-is that where Maverick can cause head bumping, I-305 can cause mild bruising from the padded restraints. That said, these are two of my favorite coasters, and I would happily marathon either one of them. That said, I do think that knowing what the ride is going to do next helps immensely with both of these.

I've ridden both and for me I-305 is a reminder of what Maverick could be if they put the same type of restraint on it as I-305 has. Sadly I had to place Maverick on my "do not ride" list (hate to do that with ANY ride, especially a coaster) when I rode it this past July at Coastermania. I know how to ride coasters defensively, and can ride most any Arrow or Vekoma coaster and manage to avoid most if not all the head banging, but even though I had a front seat ride on Maverick in the daylight, I was unable to prevent my head and ears from being bashed repeatedly into the hard rubber restraints. This was one ride where I wished I could have stopped right in the middle of it and got off (seldom do I run into a coaster that I want to get off of before it ends). IMO it should be re-named "Muhammed Ali the Ride" if and until they swap out the restraints for I-305 style ones as for some people it can sure deliver a near knock out punch to the ears, sides of the head and neck.

Which is sad because it is a beautiful coaster with lots of elements that could be really fun if it wasn't so painful to ride. I-305 also has some abrupt transitions but the restraints make a world of difference.

I rode I305 for the first time this summer and the restraints weren't excessively uncomfortable. The only issue I had was that the over the shoulder part pinches close together near the top more than on some other coasters, so I had to mind my glasses when getting in and out of them. It's been a couple of years since I rode Maverick, but I only recall some minor head bashing compared to some OTSRs. Certainly nothing unbearably rough, to limit rerides, but I don't know if that's changed lately.

For me, Maverick did not seem painful - but that was coming straight from Fahrenheit about a month prior with the same restraints - which I actually like. I-305 was pain free - but the twisties may get you a little. I find it hard to hold my head during that portion. Love the soft restraints. And yes, I did grey out - but I have not ridden it since the change, and I am not sure how that has affected that portion of the ride.