TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Strangest layouts

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Behemoth at Canada's Wonderland confuses me sometimes. It's a big, fast B&M with lots of airtime, only to hit a block brake three quarters of the way into the ride, then do some low-speed helixes before finishing. Really kills the momentum to an otherwise awesome hyper.

And even more exaggerated example is Intimidator at Carowinds. It only has a single helix between the MBCR and the final brakes.

Don't forget the dip right before the helix, but i completely agree, the ride just shouldn't have a MCBR, its pointless.

It's all for efficiency, they can run more trains with a MCBR, but I agree, it really takes away from the ride.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having recently been to Knott's for about the tenth time I can confirm that almost all of the rides there have very strange layouts.

Xcelerator starts out strong but it has two redundant and boring elements padding out ride time until the brake run.

Pony Express starts out forceless and boring and gets really interesting just before it ends about a thousand feet short of a decent length.

Silver Bullet, while I love this ride, has an obnoxiously prominent turnaround before the first corkscrew that goes too far into ghost town, as well as a first drop and lift that go too far into Fiesta Village. The rest of it is amazing.

Ghostrider's layout starts strong with the first half of the ride until the first turnaround, gets really boring and forceless until the MCBR, goes bonkers until the second turnaround, and ends with a painful helix strongly reminiscent of the old school Rattler that feels really out of place. Too inconsistent for my taste, regardless of roughness.

Same thing goes for Jaguar. This ride has a few great moments (i.e. the turnaround next to Sierra and the turnaround just before the log ride) but too many straight sections padding it out until then.

In not-Knott's layouts:

Goliath at SFMM: Three decent hills followed by the most unnecessarily spine-compressingly forceful helices I've ever seen.

Iron Rattler: Although it was fun (especially compared to the former), the middle section of track on the cliff edge ripped the speed away from the ride, only to be given back towards the end for a few seconds before hitting the brakes. I really wish that this ride went from the lift hill to the slow section to the quarry drop.

Maverick: Well paced and fun, but really redundant. Banked turn. Banked turn. Transition. Banked turn. Banked turn.

Pretty much any Arrow Mine Train: Goldrusher, Cedar Creek Mine Ride, Excalibur, Road Runner Express, Trailblazer, and especially ESPECIALLY Adventure Express suffer from bizarre placements of lift hills and waste of speed.

I read somewhere that Ninja at SFOG uses the SLC layout adapted for normal trains and with corkscrews instead of barrel rolls. I find that weird.

But Ninja was manufactured in 1989, five years before the first SLC.

I have noticed that Ninja's layout is like a warped SLC layout. The butterfly is kinda like a roll-over, the Reverse Sidewinder is obviously a reverse sidewinder, and the corkscrews replace the barrel rolls.

I read somewhere that Ninja at SFOG uses the SLC layout adapted for normal trains and with corkscrews instead of barrel rolls. I find that weird.

But Ninja was manufactured in 1989, five years before the first SLC.

I have noticed that Ninja's layout is like a warped SLC layout. The butterfly is kinda like a roll-over, the Reverse Sidewinder is obviously a reverse sidewinder, and the corkscrews replace the barrel rolls.

Just noticed all of this as you said it, and yeah, Ninja is pretty much an altered SLC model. Or an SLC is an altered Ninja layout.

One of the most different/scary layout we encountered

on the 2009 (and to be 2014) Scandi Tour, was Cobra

at Tivoli Friheden in Denmark. A steel invert, a la' SLC.

I can't even begin to describe this odd "flip over" near

the end of it, (and I am sure those who know better can

describe it better than myself) which could almost give

one whiplash.

Powder Keg is a little odd. The weird little elevator track before the launch, the long turn with the old Premier track, and then the lift hill in the middle of the ride... And after that, there's not even that much left to the ride. Tons of fun, just... Odd.
i think the odd elevator was build because the park want to keep the old station. I agree with the rest of the ride is really odd. Kind of a waste of speed. But a quick ending is better than a couple of helixes...

I still think the S+S Power El Loco's have a strange layout... something just looks so wrong and funky with them. In particular the new one at the Adventuredome. The lap bar trains on them are seriously comfy though... I want to turn one of those seats into an armchair!

I consider this a strange layout, especially for an Arrow coaster. What I find most interesting about Dragon's layout is that, from far off, it looks like a big, tangled, fun coaster...but once you follow the layout, it really looks quite boring.