TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Stand-Up Coasters

I have only been on two B&M stand-ups, and one Togo. I'm no fan of stand-ups though. I find them kind of uncomfortable and some what boring. I would take a hyper any day over a stand-up. The Togo at KD is god awful, I really, really hate it. It's super painful and way to discomforting. The two B&Ms (Riddler's and Green Lantern) are decent ride able rides, but nothing great.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm in the minority, but I really like Stand Up Coasters and definitely would like to see more being built. I've currently been on Riddlers Revenge, Vortex (CGA), Mantis, Iron Wolf, Green Lantern, Cobra @ La Ronde, and Skyrider, and I don't have any problems with any of them. However I highly doubt that we'll see another one being built as they really aren't that popular and aren't that good with capacity.

I'm also 6' 2" and I have found the only problem being the headbanging. The only stand-up I had rode yet was Vortex (CGA) but it seems to be one of the worst stand-ups. As my home park was CGA for many years, I rode Vortex many times and I actually re-rode it a few times and it was sometimes fun, though I had some really bad rides on it.

I've never banged my head on any of them, despite the whole "Keep your head back" thing, i always lean forward slightly in the restraint, this puts my head mostly outside the OTSR by a small amount, keeping my ears safe and making my defensive riding that much more effective (Pushing myself into the restraint with my legs, essentially stopping my upper body from moving at all)

i get beat up more by great inverts/floorless than i do by "bad" standups, simply because i can't brace myself like i do on other standing/sitting rides

As always, if a park wants a B&M stand-up they're going to get one. But it's unlikely a park will ask for one because that's not the hot new thing anymore. They'll be more likely to ask for a Wing Rider, because that's what's in.

Well not very many parks in the US offer them anymore & the ones that do still se a fair amount of ridership so they could very well make a comback since they offer a different exprerience from other coasters & the GP will flock to it if given the chance.

Remember that,while wingriders may be the current "flavor of the month"gimmick that fad may not last long & these rides may end up going the way of the flying coaster or suspended coaster.

I've never understood the point of them. They sound cool in theory, but it's not like the stand-up aspect lends an element of freedom or scariness to the ride-- in fact, I feel more restrained and caged-in on a stand-up than I do on most regular coasters. I always ride Riddler's when I'm there, but I enjoy it because of its epic scale and smoothness and despite the fact that I'm squatting on a bicycle seat...I mean "standing up."

these rides may end up going the way of the flying coaster or suspended coaster.
Suspended coasters I get, but what is wrong with flying coasters? There aren't very many in the US, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with them unlike standups..Tatsu is an outstanding flyer, and it's popularity sure hasn't waned in the 6 years it's been operating.

Serious question - are flying coasters significantly more expensive/difficult to build and/or maintain? 4th dimension coasters such as X2/Eejanaika/Dinoconda are my favorite but I realize the reason there's only three of them in the world is because they are ridiculously expensive to both build and maintain. Is the same true for flyers?

That trend has totally passed for sure....almost like floorless?

Love the Togos and Scorcher since they are just the right length before becoming really uncomfortable. I really love Sky Rider's ejector air standing up....it's so bizarre

After riding Mantis a month ago, it was definitely a reminder that some things just shouldn't be done standing up...so horribly long and painful.

I liked Mantis, didn't really care for Chang/Green Lantern...though the standing didn't have much to do with it.

Leave a tad bit of slack!

Anywho I doubt it. People gripe about how they hurt and they don't seem very popular so I doubt we'll see more.

IDK if this would help at all but maybe if they were designed to have a bit of move in the seats? So instead of crushing your crotch there's a bit of give?

And maybe they shouldn't be too forceful...

I liked Mantis, didn't really care for Chang/Green Lantern...though the standing didn't have much to do with it.

Leave a tad bit of slack!

Anywho I doubt it. People gripe about how they hurt and they don't seem very popular so I doubt we'll see more.

IDK if this would help at all but maybe if they were designed to have a bit of move in the seats? So instead of crushing your crotch there's a bit of give?

And maybe they shouldn't be too forceful...

In my experience most of the time when people are complaining about uncomfortable restraints it's because they're not using them correctly..you are right, and someone earlier said it even better. On most coasters I've found OTSR's are most comfortable when fit tightly (Makes a huge difference on Kong at SFDK and used to make a HUGE difference on the old X trains)..a lot of people (including my family members) assume that tighter restraints are uncomfortable and want to leave "room to move" but they just end up getting shaken around. On standups the bicycle seat is exactly the opposite..for some reason people seem to always want to pull that thing up as far as it goes, but its best if you leave a little slack on that one for reasons that should be obvious, at least to male riders.

I know there's exceptions to every rule, some rides are rough no matter what, and some people are uncomfortable just due to body shape/size not being what the restraint designers had in mind, Ive just found the above to make for your best odds of the best ride for most people.

I've been on Vortex at Carowinds and Green Lantern at Great Adventure and I haven't had any problems on either. I think Stand-Up coaster have potential to be amazing, although the layouts are all too similar and follow a typical B&M coaster layout. I enjoy them and wouldn't mind seeing a comeback. It might be cool to do a stand-up launch, similar to the Incredible Hulk's. Not sure how it would feel, but it sounds like a cool experience.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm not really looking forward to see more stand-up coasters. Especially on coaster travels my feet usually kill me after a few days - working in an office I'm not used to that much walking. And then doing a stand-up coaster just adds insult to injury...

Yeah that's true. If its a slow day at the park and the rides are walkons, standups are fine..but it does kind of suck to stand in line for an hour and then stand on the coaster.

I don't think standups are something every park needs to have, but for a park the size of SFMM or CP they're not bad.

• 1 month later...

Everything seems to come in waves. I can totally see there being some random resurgence of the stand-up coaster some year, where all of a sudden 3-4 parks get them. Just like what happened in the mid to late 90s when we saw Ridder's, Mantis, Chang, and Scorcher all go up almost back-to-back!

I was never a huge fan of the Stand-up but Schorcher and Riddler's Revenge are both pretty decent rides.

I've always wondered if B&M has ever considered manufacturing a floorless, or sitdown train that could operate in place of the standup trains? Might be a nice way to re-brand a lot of those stand up coasters in the future, I could see some of the stand ups like Mantis and Green Lantern maybe even being more fun as a floorless/sit down.