TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Stand-Up Coasters

I've been wondering this for awhile and wanted to get other opinions on it. Do you think there will be any more (presumably B&M Stand-Up coasters? I realize they're been dormant since 1999 but the recent relocations of Chang and Iron Wolf prove that they can still be popular. I've been on Iron Wolf, Mantis, Chang Lantern (at both locations), and Vortex Carowinds, and I've found all to be very intense and enjoyable, although I know some think they're rough. I hope there will be more in the future.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As always, if a park wants a B&M stand-up they're going to get one. But it's unlikely a park will ask for one because that's not the hot new thing anymore. They'll be more likely to ask for a Wing Rider, because that's what's in.

I personally doubt we will ever see another one. Many people find them painful, and their load times make them unattractive to potential buyers. They were a fun gimmick, and I personally don't have a problem with them but I'd much prefer a sitdown or floorless train. I'd expect a major flock of Wingriders on the way in the coming years, though.

That, and I always notice people thinking that they're supposed to sit down on a stand-up coaster. By the time they reach the bottom of the first drop, they'll want to stand up, but can't, so their crotch gets hurt and the ride gets poor ratings from them. I shake my head every time I see that.

I personally liked them, probably because of Chang and Georgia Scorcher.

I think it unlikely that we'll see any new standups due to the issues others have already mentioned. There are only a few that I think are "good" (Riddler's Revenge and Georgia Scortcher in the U.S., and Milky Way at Mitsui Greenland in Japan).

I think it unlikely that we'll see any new standups due to the issues others have already mentioned. There are only a few that I think are "good" (Riddler's Revenge and Georgia Scortcher in the U.S., and Milky Way at Mitsui Greenland in Japan).

Believe it or not i'd actually add mantis to that list

During the day and early night pre-final dispatch? Mantis was running -AMAZING- aside from a couple snappy spots (Low hop into MCBR and the entrance of the dive loop)

Other than that it was hauling ass and running glass smooth.

I really don't think we will being seeing anymore besides the occasional relocation of one. Mantis, for me, just hurts my legs. I don't know if I'm riding it wrong or not, but it's not enjoyable when I'm riding in pain. I have a feeling the Wingrider will be more like the inverted coaster, still popular since its debut. Unlike stand-ups which were a quick phase in the amusement park industry. But who knows, only time will tell.

I hope so. Sadly, I get the feeling that if anymore are built, it will be overseas- probably China. Out of everything in B&M's catalog, this is the only style of coaster with a 100% success rate in terms of intensity. Somehow, even their inverted coasters have become watered down. The only explanation I can think of for these fabled rough rides you hear about is that the rider completely relaxes every muscle in the body becoming completely limp- and letting the forces take over (picture a rag doll). I sometimes get the feeling that the culprit is Me2itis- something that many of Vekoma's rides suffer from.

I'm not a big fan of the stand-ups. In fact I would love if some parks could buy new trains for existing stand-ups and make them sit downs. I'm not sure it's possible with a ride being designed for a specific train type, but I would get on Riddler or Mantis more often if they weren't stand-ups for sure.

This. I think the problem with Stand-ups is that the best ones are only "good" and the rest are somewhere below that (some very far below that). I think that with the technology we have now and all the newer B &M styles that are both more exciting and more comfortable, we will not see another stand-up.

Out of everything in B&M's catalog, this is the only style of coaster with a 100% success rate in terms of intensity.

Well they did stop being built in 1999. Up to that point, every inverted coaster they'd built pretty much had a 100% success rate in terms of intensity. If B&M built another, it could easily be a forceless ride.

They'll be more likely to ask for a Wing Rider, because that's what's in.

I feel like all of the parks now want a Wing Rider for the newest non-coaster thrill. With Wing Rider being the new thing I think that we may see 1 or 2 more Stand-Up coasters at most.

I have only been on one Stand-Up coaster, which was Green Lantern when it was new to SFGAdv. I actually enjoyed the coaster and didn't find it painful except for getting a bit dizzy towards the last corkscrew.

I'm not a big fan of the stand-ups. In fact I would love if some parks could buy new trains for existing stand-ups and make them sit downs. I'm not sure it's possible with a ride being designed for a specific train type, but I would get on Riddler or Mantis more often if they weren't stand-ups for sure.

This. I would much rather have them with sit down trains. I don't find the standing position to be enjoy able.

This. I would much rather have them with sit down trains. I don't find the standing position to be enjoy able.

See, i'm 6'2 and i've -NEVER- found (At least, B&M) Standups uncomfortable, in any seat. I marathoned mantis around 12 times in a row + 5 times in a row at night because it was running well and not one of those rides (In random seats) was actually painful.

In my experience, worrying more about getting the restraint closer to your shoulders, rather than the bike seat closer to your junk is the best idea.

Granted, the more intense standups (Riddler/mantis/chang) will make my legs get pretty heavy from the forces, but it's not unbearable and it's never painful if you ride like you're supposed to (Standing straight up, restraint on shoulders, head back/leaned forward

Though, with B&M's track record recently, if they built another standup, it would basically be a stand-up minetrain, possibly with a loop or 2

I have only ridden Green Lantern and it's my 4th favorite coaster in the park so I wouldn't mind seeing more built. Last year after my first ride, my legs hurt but now that doesn't happen anymore and I try to ride it at least twice per trip to Great Adventure (the single rider line helps with that)

I've been on all of the US stand ups except Chang / Green Lantern. 6 of the 7 B&Ms and the Togo at Kings Dominion. Riddler at Magic Mountain is excellent when it's running well, although my last ride on it was not pleasant (I guess the train was overdue for maintenance?). Georgia Scorcher was the best designed of the bunch, I think B&M must have finally gotten the math correct. It even has my favorite type of airtime on the first drop if you ride in the back row, and the pacing is great. A ride that combined its design with the giant loops of Riddler would be amazing, although I don't expect that would ever happen. Long load times and newer designs (wing rider) probably ensures the design style is over.

Of the 30 B&Ms I've been on (all in the US), Vortex at California's Great America is the only one that I think should be scrapped and recycled. Ouch ouch ouch. Even Vortex at Carowinds had some redeeming qualities although it was my least favorite of the 3 B&Ms there. Mantis and Iron Wolf were OK, not great, worth a couple rides. Shock Wave (Togo) at Kings Dominion was "one and done," especially with I-305, Volcano and Dominator competing for my time at the park.

See, i'm 6'2 and i've -NEVER- found (At least, B&M) Standups uncomfortable, in any seat. I marathoned mantis around 12 times in a row + 5 times in a row at night because it was running well and not one of those rides (In random seats) was actually painful.

In my experience, worrying more about getting the restraint closer to your shoulders, rather than the bike seat closer to your junk is the best idea.

Granted, the more intense standups (Riddler/mantis/chang) will make my legs get pretty heavy from the forces, but it's not unbearable and it's never painful if you ride like you're supposed to (Standing straight up, restraint on shoulders, head back/leaned forward

Though, with B&M's track record recently, if they built another standup, it would basically be a stand-up minetrain, possibly with a loop or 2

I'm also 6' 2" and I have found the only problem being the headbanging. The only stand-up I had rode yet was Vortex (CGA) but it seems to be one of the worst stand-ups. As my home park was CGA for many years, I rode Vortex many times and I actually re-rode it a few times and it was sometimes fun, though I had some really bad rides on it.

Always felt like a gimmick. Riddler's would be just as good sitting down, standing up adds nothing of value to the ride.

I'll agree with you on this but, I think the standing up SUBTRACTs the value of the ride.

To be honest, I don't think we will ever see another Stand-Up again because of thier slow loading times and roughness. I've ridden Green Lantern, Mantis, and Le Cobra. I found Green Lantern to be the best as the only roughness I really got was in the area between the first and second Corkscrew's. Mantis is "meh" with more roughness in the beginning then Green Lantern which could go away is they turn off that darn trim on the first drop. And Le Cobra, well, let's just say I'm glad Intamin is out of the Stand-Up bussiness.

I liked Riddlers and Chang, I don't even remember Mantis or Vortex GA enough to have an opinion about it, Vortex at Carowinds was no bueno, and whatever that Togo one is at Kings Dominion can burn in a fiery pit of despair.

MIlky Way at Mitsui Greenland was pretty kick ass and it is a Togo.

For the most part I have to agree that it is pretty much a gimmick. I don't find most of the stand ups to be very comfortable anyway. I have been walking around and standing in the queue, the last thing I want is to stand up for the ride!