TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Women banned from water slide after 'injuries'

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20120803-44149.html

The park's manager told The Local the X-treme Faser slide was made men-only after several women complained of being hurt by water as they flung themselves down the slide, where people can reach speeds of 72 kmh.

Marcus Maier said six women had reported injuries to the genital area last year, and some of them had to be taken to hospital. No men have reported genital injuries, he said.

"These injuries are caused by the nature of the female anatomy," Maier told The Local.

But the Professional Association of Gynaecologists was sceptical. A spokeswoman said there was no medical reason why women shouldn't use such a slide - unless they were pregnant. She said she had never heard of women suffering waterslide-related vaginal injury.

Maier said few women have complained about the men-only policy.

"We are trying to do right by women; we don't want to discriminate against them," said the manager of Galaxy Rutschenparadies, which is part of the Therme Erding sauna complex near Munich.

Asked if the park had considered reworking the slide, Maier said it had never been seriously considered. The slide was new, he said, and reckoned it had cost up to €100,000 to build.

"We have some slides you can't go down unless you weigh 50 kilos - you could argue that's just as discriminating,” he said.

Still, there appears to be a glimmer of hope for female water slide enthusiasts: The park is working on building a protective suit for women to use on the slide. "Like for ice hockey," said Maier.

Edited by jedimaster1227

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, they haven't read this article:

http://www.rideaccidents.com/1999.html

Knoebels water slide brings injuries, lawsuits

(Tuesday, March 2, 1999) - An attorney representing two girls who sustained vaginal injuries while riding a water slide at a Pennsylvania amusement park has discovered a history of complaints of injuries made by riders after they had ridden the same ride. Fifteen injuries have been reported to the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture's Bureau of Ride and Measurement Standards in recent years, including six other reports of injuries to riders' genital areas.

The Speed Slide, also known as the Super Slide, is a 40-foot vertical drop water slide attraction at Knoebels Amusement Park in Elysburg, Pennsylvania.

The lawsuit seeks $9,200 in medical costs and at least $50,000 in damages on behalf of one girl, 11, who suffered vaginal lacerations and had her cervix torn away from her vaginal wall as a result of riding the Speed Slide. The suit also alleges the girl suffered pain, embarrassment, humiliation, emotional distress, permanent vaginal scarring, significant blood loss, and loss of her daily activities. The suit also seeks $5,300 in medical costs and at least $100,000 in damages on behalf of the other girl, 12, who suffered a two-inch cut inside her vagina. Both girls underwent emergency surgery.

The park is charged with negligence, failure to monitor the amount of force of the water and its effect on riders, failure to fix defects, and failure to provide adequate warnings to riders.

^Ummm that sounds extremely painful and I had no idea the water could case that much damage, I usually don't like speed slides b/c of the extreme weggie it usually gives you but what those girls experienced is just crazy. Maybe they should require Females to wear shorts on these rides instead of bathing suits, yes they might get a weggie but that's nothing compared to vaginal destruction.

If they had, say, a long straight section before the splashdown trough, they could have a gentle deceleration before ramming into a foot of water vagina-first, minimizing injuries. As in, have a shallow, inch - deep trough run comparable to the normal slide that leads into the pool or splash lane, giving an opportunity to slow down so the water does not damage the female anatomy.

Keep in mind almost every other country other than the US (Don't know about Canada), crossing your legs on speed slides are not required (as far as I know).

Therme Erding banned women from riding a water slide? Wow. I have heard from reviews from other water slide enthusiasts that that specific slide is a little violent anyways. You hit the water in the shutdown late instead of an easy transition and deceleration. Take that, and not crossing your legs in, plus how the water slide is one big steep downward curve, and I can closer understand the results of the injuries.

But banning women? I'd rather expect someone to put up a new warning sign or something.

^You quoted it before I could...man, that was funny!

However, the reality is not very funny. Reading those accounts of what happened at Knoebels, I am horrified. I had never heard of that happening anywhere, and I'm very surprised. Plenty of women get to ride Summit Plummet, so it must be something to do with the finish - as it did look like a rough finish in the video.

Water is more painful than a punch, if shot at high speeds.

I mean kicking a woman's vagina is nothing to them, but water is more painful than that.

I came across a documentary similar to Dirty Jobs where they were cleaning a huge ship covered with barnacles, and they have to wear really heavy shoes just to walk around. The presenter was curious, so he took his shoe off, ran far away from it, and sprayed the water on it. It tore off like someone was cutting it with scissors.

[quote name='"Midgetman82"I have heard from reviews from other water slide enthusiasts that that specific slide is a little violent anyways. You hit the water in the shutdown late instead of an easy transition and deceleration.

I'd rather expect someone to put up a new warning sign or something.

I have been on that particular water slide plenty of times and all that is correct. The slide is very intense' date=' you hit the water really hard and at a high speed.

If they had, say, a long straight section before the splashdown trough, they could have a gentle deceleration before ramming into a foot of water vagina-first, minimizing injuries. As in, have a shallow, inch - deep trough run comparable to the normal slide that leads into the pool or splash lane, giving an opportunity to slow down so the water does not damage the female anatomy.

That would help but in this case it is almost impossible to modify the slide. Therme Erding is an extremely compact indoor waterpark in which the slides are all interwined and corssing each other multiple times. This plus te fact that there is hardly any room at the end of the slide for an expension pretty much kills the idea of adjusting it.

Warning signs are already all over the place when entering the slide, even sings pointing out that women should be especially carefull.

Lawsuits are probalby one of the reasons why this restriction has been applied but keep in mind that, in case of an injury, there is no way to sue a waterpark in Germany for even close to as much as you could in the US.

While I don't think it is necessary to ban females from the slide I can still understand why the management decided to do so.