TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New coaster for Sega Joypolis

...and just like that, the RCDB no longer lists Veil of Dark as a re-profiling of Speed Boarder/Spin Bullet.

To be fair, it was only listed there because I told them of what I thought was a rename after seeing it on their website, thinking it was just renamed and rethemed!

But that's how RCDB works. One person can't know everything about every coaster worldwide. He needs help from the rest of us! And it's only fair, considering how many of us benefit from it!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 months later...

I rode it a couple of weeks before the TPR China trip. It's actually pretty good.

There are a few pictures of it in my "David's epic Asia Trip" thread. Unfortunately, it's really hard to get good pictures of it, since the lighting all around the short section of the ride that's viewable from the main park area is really bright, which messes with pictures.

And I found out why it's called "Veil of Dark: The Shooting Coaster", (although it's not actually called the whole thing on the park's signs). It's ALSO a shooting dark ride! See my description of the ride and a handful of pics here:

PTR: David's Epic Asia trip: Tokyo Joypolis

It was a pretty good ride, especially as an overall attraction, with the shooting section and a decent coaster section. As with everything at Tokyo Joypolis, with low capacities everywhere, expect to wait a while for it. but I thought it was worth it, especially for such a unique combination of elements in one attraction.

Also, don't expect to see any videos of the ride, unless Robb gets special permission to film on it next year. They don't let you bring anything on the ride, and make you put everything in a locker. It's not particularly crazy of a ride, but the section you can see in the video is in the main part of the park, where people can walk underneath the coaster. So, the only part you can film is the very brief section that's in the main area. But be assured that there is MUCH more to the ride than what you've seen here.

• 2 weeks later...

Ride Entertainment Group of Companies posted this Gerstlauer video on their facebook page of the Veil of Darkness ( the launched spinning coaster with an inversion). As I watched this video I could not help but to think this would make the perfect ride concept for the suppossed Griggotts bank ride. As the cars look kind of like Mine Cars. (For those that know the story/ seen movie) The Mine Track in Grigotts is quite the twisted one...

It's got to be better than Spin Bullet, the ride it replaced. SB, with its restraint system by the Marquis de Sade, was one of the worst rides ever (although I did enjoy the rest of Joypolis).

It's got to be better than Spin Bullet, the ride it replaced. SB, with its restraint system by the Marquis de Sade, was one of the worst rides ever (although I did enjoy the rest of Joypolis).

AGREED! Spin Bullet was awful. We all had to do it because of the credit (stupid hobby!) - but should have had a few hours of Asahi "party beer" before attempting that evil contraption of pain.

Now the other attractions at Joypolis = AMAZING! The Room of the Living Dolls was still a blast - and, as bad as the capacity is, Halfpipe Canyon is still a damn fun time.

So.....How many enthusiasts would count Halfpipe Canyon as a credit? Much less FOUR different credits??!?!?!?

I rode this a few weeks ago. It's a pretty good ride, Nothing mindblowing but really good considering the space they've got. The shooting section at the start is pretty good fun with screens that sit over the track and move along with the train. The shooting section is also fairly long with some nice if slightly tacky effects.

The Launch is not that powerful but the spinning through a barrel roll effect is really quite weird (strangely this is the 2nd coaster in Tokyo that launches directly into a corner). The Coaster then heads off behind the scenes and performs a couple of hairpin turns and helices before the brakes.

As I said nothing too groundbreaking but worth a trip