TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Your top coasters...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted earlier that I like to give each coaster an individual ranking, but when it gets confusing I do like to think of it more as a continuum that gradually progresses from my favorites to my least favorites. I also do this for topics where I'd like to share some examples of how different things compare in my mind, but don't care to formally rank them. For example, I like talking about favorite parks but find myself utterly unable to rank any more than my top 2 or 3.

I suppose that's kind of what people do with the A-F "school" grading scale (which I rarely attempt) or even the ten-point scale that I also use.

I still have a relatively small count (approximately 205), and the more I think about it, there will most likely always be a list of about 10 - 20 that are favorites, but not necessarily in perfect order.

I have made lists in order, and most tend to overlap a little. They all have there strengths and weaknesses.

Whenever I visit a new park, I usually write down everything I rode at the end of the day. There are many (i.e. Arrow mine trains, Arrow loopers) that I remember very little of.

• 11 months later...

I don't bother so much with wood vs steel (unless that question is asked) or a rounded off number like a top 5 or ten. I've ridden roughly 183 different coasters over the course of my lifetime (most of them in the last 15 years as I spent a long period of my life terrified of coasters), which is a decent number from which to pick just a few faves.

Basically my criteria for the top of my list (as said, there is no set number) are coasters that, for lack of a better description, blew my mind when I rode them the first time.

What differentiates a mind-blowing ride from just a very enjoyable and fun ride are a few factors (not all need be present on each coaster but it must have at least one characteristic).

The coaster must:

#1 Scare the daylights out of me (either right before riding and/or on-ride) or at least make me very nervous about riding. This is a biggie - because I'm quite jaded and if a ride or coaster can do this then it's a winner for me. Note to coaster manufacturers and designers - if you can rise above the mediocrity and impress me this way you have my vote forever!

#2 Exceed my expectations by a very long shot.

#3 Provide something that is lacking (or seldom ever found in such quantity) on every other coaster I've ridden. This can include killer sustained airtime, an extremely powerful launch, extreme height, blistering over-all speed, other unusual characteristics that are unique to that coaster, etc.

So only a precious few have ever met some or all of those requirements to end up in my own top personal ranks. Those coasters include (in no particular order):

Millennium Force (see #1 and #3)

TTD (see #1 and #3)

The Voyage (see #2 and #3)

El Toro (see #2 and #3)

Skyrush (see #2 and #3)

*Goliath at SFMM (#3 and also a bit of sentimentality on this one - it was at my home park, was my first hyper coaster, and I actually got to do some work on the coaster trains thru my job at the time. *Of course, these days #3 doesn't apply anymore but it did back then, so there are special reasons why I include this coaster over and above those listed earlier).

For me my top 4 is easy, I know which coasters they are, Millennium Force, Bizarro, Intimidator 305, and El Toro, but I always have trouble deciding where to put each one. After those four I really like any ride that isn't rough, but especially hyper-coasters. Just my way of doing it.

As my top 5 steel are all B&M hypers, you can probably guess what I go for.

I want a ride that is fast, full of airtime and surprises. I also want a smooth ride, or if it's not smooth something that doesn't hurt me if I ride it again.

i305 is down to #6 on my list and my favorite Intamin, but it's far too intense to ever marathon or even ride 2 times in a row which makes a difference to me.

As far as wood, I'm kind of the same way, air time first, smooth ride after that and intense after that.

As such Voyage is #1 and Thunderhead #2 for me.

I think one would remember the coasters that they really enjoyed vs. coasters that they did not enjoy.

For me at 170 it's hard to think back and remember the experience of each coaster, but can rattle off the top of my head without thinking some of my most memorable coasters.

Kumba

Montu

SKyrush

Voyage

Thunderhead

Sheikra

Diamondback

These are my most memorable coasters. I said them out loud, then typed the name. After that, I really have to think about it.

This is pretty much how I decide my list:

1) Fun Factor - Is the ride just balls out fun. If it has any dead spots, is rough in any spots then there is no way it's making my top 10.

2) Rerideability - Is one ride NEVER enough. Do I want to just sit on the ride and ride it all day. Am I able to sit on it and ride all day or is it simply too intense. Because of this, some coasters that I've ridden that many people consider amazing and rank high (like Tatsu) I simply rank lower because I simply can't see myself riding it more than once in any given park trip. Rerideability is also the reason you'll only find two coasters with inversions in my Top 10.

3) Need to ride - Is it a ride I need to ride EVERY SINGLE TIME I'm at a park, even if it's my home park or a park I visit a lot. If it''s not a ride I'll make sure I ride on every visit then it's not at the top of my list. If a ride is good enough you'll either get to the park early enough, get a Flash Pass type device or wait in line.

4) Good enough to travel for - This is a big one. Is it a ride that I'm willing to base a trip around. Good enough to get on a plane or drive 100, 200, 300 miles to get to.

So with all of that said, here are my Top 5.

1) Intimidator 305 - I didn't get a chance to ride this before the added trims or without the shoulder restraints, but I don't care. This ride is just a blast from beginning to end. The forces didn't bother me too much and this is most definitely a ride I would travel a long distance to ride and try to ride at least a half dozen times on every visit. I can't think of any other coaster that I've ridden that I NEED to ride as much as I305.

2) Phoenix (Knoebels) - Some people may question me putting this above El Toro but the "re-rideability" comes into play BIG TIME on Phoenix. This is a ride that I could sit on for hours and just enjoy the hell out of it.

3) El Toro (SFGAdv) - The craziest most fun experience. I love this ride and I'd trade every single coaster at SFMM for it.

4) Storm Runner (Hershey) - The best of the "Rocket" coasters I've ridden. While I think the launch on Xcelerator is way more fun I like that Storm Runner is a more complete coaster.

5) Xcelerator (Knotts) - This ride just exudes "fun". It's smooth, it's fast, the most amount of airtime of any coaster in CA, by a LONG SHOT. I'm still hoping for a Xcelerator 2.0 one of these days that adds another 2000 feet of track somewhere.

Rounding out the Top 10 would be - Skyrush (Hershey), Goliath (SFOG), Apollos Chariot (BGW), Hulk (IOA) and Nitro (SFGAdv).

I like this thread. It's very interesting to see the multi-faceted approach of different enthusiasts in choosing their favorite rides. For me, personally, it's much simpler. I simply choose which coaster I would ride if I could ride any at all. That's my number one. Then, I remove that coaster and repeat the process. Essentially, if I could only ride one coaster and nothing else, the one I choose would be my number one. Then, if I could only ride one coaster and nothing else, omitting my number one, then that choice would be my number two. And so forth...

That said, my top five list is:

1. El Toro (SFGAdv)

2. Bizarro (SFNE)

3. Millennium Force (CP)

4. Maverick (CP)

5. X2 (SFMM)

I tend to rank favorites in the most literal sense of the word, that, if I were in a given park and had my choice, if all the rides were open and there weren't any lines, this is the ride I would favor. I also have a hard time ranking rides I've only ridden once high on the list, though, on the premise that I haven't really gotten to know the ride yet. So the ones highest on my list tend to be those that are closest to home, and that I've had a chance to ride at least several times. Currently the top five goes as follows:

1. Outlaw Run

2. Wildfire

3. Prowler

4. Mamba

5. Batman

I've never have actually put thought into making a list, but since I just got back from my first trip to Kings Island a few hours ago, it made me put a little thought into it. So I guess it would look a little something like this:

1: The Beast (Kings Island)

2: Nitro (SFGAdv)

3: The New Texas Giant (SFOT)

4: Diamondback (Kings Island)

5: Tatsu (SFMM)

6: Outlaw Run (SDC)

7: Maverick (Cedar Point)

8: Raging Bull (SFGAm)

9: Millennium Force (Cedar Point)

10: GateKeeper (Cedar Point)

Looking at it... I don't really have a preference for any type of ride (though the B&M hyper coasters are my favorite type). I think it really depends on the mood that the ride ops put you in, as well as the excitement from the fellow riders. Those are probably the biggest two factors that actually come into play on my favorite ride experiences... which lead to my top coasters.

I seriously took my first night ride on the beast a few hours and I must say... OMFG It was the best coaster experience that I've ever had in my life!

Tough choices when it comes to steel. I have a lot of them I found fun and re-rideable (Silver Bullet, SFDK Medusa, Goliath, etc...) but there are a select few that really hold their ground with me. My top would have to be Xcelerator (KBF) while Flight Deck, Batman & Tatsu (SFMM), and Superman Ultimate Flight (SFDK) are all fighting each other for the #2 spot.

Wood, that's easy as I have very few wood credits.

1- Gold Striker (CGA)

2- Giant Dipper (SCBB)

3- Apocalypse (SFMM)

4- Ghost Rider (Knott's)

5- Roar (SFDK)

Overall

1. Voyage

2. Nitro

3. Apollo's Chariot

4. Sheikra

5. El Toro

6. Flight Deck (CGA)

7. X2

8. Manta

9. California Screamin

10. Led Zeppelin (HRP)

Steel (top 8 are above)

9. Xcelerator

10. Revenge of the Mummy (USH)

Wood (top 2 are above)

3. Lightning Racer

4. Gwazi

5. Comet (HP)

Notable mention- Kingdom Coaster (DW) (It's a lot better than you'd think)

1) Intimidator 305 - I didn't get a chance to ride this before the added trims or without the shoulder restraints, but I don't care.

It always had the OTSR's.

I rode it the week before the "stripper" started working, it was on the ride but hadn't been tested yet and then I rode it again last year and I honestly can't tell a big difference at all. If anything I grayed a little on the new turn and I didn't gray at all with the old turn. Weird I know.

i305 is my favorite Intamin, just too much for my old body to handle over and over. But I usually ride it about 3 times when I'm at the park.

I typically have my favorite wood and steel coasters (Phoenix and Skyrush respectively), followed by my favorite ten-or-so coasters in an un-numbered lump because I can't really rank them higher or lower than each other.

My thing is that if I don't hate a coaster, I love it and will ride it over and over. This is true for every coaster that I like - Blackbeard at Six Flags Great Adventure for example.

I've ridden a little over 180 coasters and find them very hard to rank. There are 3 coasters that stand far above the rest, and those are (not in order) Phoenix, El Toro and (I feel like I have to apologize for this, lol) Millennium Force. I also have a few coasters that are so awful that they're easy to rank at the bottom (Mind Eraser at SFA, Mind Eraser at SFNE, the Great Adventure Viper and Green Lantern at SFMM.

Filling in coasters in the top and bottom 10 or 20 takes some time but isn't too tough. I know a top or bottom 20 coaster when I come across it in my track record. When I come across something like Hercules or Anaconda Ill move it to the bottom and when I see a ride like Tatsu, Raptor or I305 ill move it to the top and then it's pretty easy to arrange them.

What I find difficult is ranking the middle of the road coasters, especially if I haven't ridden them in awhile and when they're very different types of rides. I have no idea how to rank something like Avalanche at KD against Canyon Blaster at the Adventuredome. Things like that take forever.

1) Intimidator 305 - I didn't get a chance to ride this before the added trims or without the shoulder restraints, but I don't care.

It always had the OTSR's.

I rode it the week before the "stripper" started working, it was on the ride but hadn't been tested yet and then I rode it again last year and I honestly can't tell a big difference at all. If anything I grayed a little on the new turn and I didn't gray at all with the old turn. Weird I know.

i305 is my favorite Intamin, just too much for my old body to handle over and over. But I usually ride it about 3 times when I'm at the park.

Really? I thought it only had lap bars when it opened. Learn something new every day. LOL.

I definitely ride roller coasters for the fun of it rather than to accumulate credits just for the sake of it. When I'm at a park, I'm not thinking about how I rank coasters. Instead when I get off a ride I usually have one of four thoughts.

1) "That was amazing! I have to ride it again."

2) "That was good. Maybe I'll ride again now if the line isn't bad. If not, I'll come back later."

3) "That was ok. I'll maybe come back later."

4) "That wasn't so good. I'd rather go on other rides."

Then in the offseason I rank all of the coasters I've been on since it's fun and a good way to keep the hobby going in the winter. I find it easy to rank my top 10, but after that it becomes murky as there are different types of coasters. For example, ranking between standard production models are tough. Then it's hard to compare highly themed Disney coasters such as Expedition Everest with a coaster such as the Great Bear.