TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Major League Baseball Thread

PhishyBrewer

lol. Congrats, your team is hot. I'll let you know how I feel after this week, with the Rangers and Rays on the schedule. They just took 2 of 3 on the road from the best team in baseball, without their ace on the mound, so I'm hoping this is the start of a playoff push.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Cleveland next up, I feel pretty confident the streak will continue. However, it doesn't get much easier from there: Yankees, Tigers, Twins...... but I have a feeling a new streak will start again the Marlins toward the end of the month

• 3 months later...

Although I hate both the teams, I think the World Series is gonna be a repeat of last year: Yankees vs. Phillies but this year I think its gonna be Phillies taking it in 6 games.

I'm still bitter about the Padres choking down the strech and missing the playoffs

Also I have always loved Bruce Bochy as a manager but I dont see the Giants getting past the pitching and bats of the Phillies.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Might as well bump this...pitchers and catchers report today!

This is the only short period of the year where the Angels look like World Series contenders, then the offense shows up and it all goes to hell. Oh well...baseball is here again. Happy day!

Pitchers and Catchers reporting is more of a holiday/important time than the Superbowl. I'm siked.

AL East

Red Sox

Yankees*

Rays

Jays

O's

AL Central

White Sox

Twins

Tigers

Royals

Indians

AL West

A's

Rangers

Angels

Mariners

NL East

Phillies

Braves

Mets

Marlins

Nats

NL Central

Brewers

Cards*

Reds

Cubs

Astros

Pirates

NL West

Rockies

Giants

Padres

Dodgers

Diamondbacks

*Wild Card

Despite some losses, I can see the Rays being competetive. Baltimore and Toronto also made some nice moves, but it just isn't realistic with the Yanks and Red Sox. I'd also normally pick the Twins to win the Central, but they've subtracted, and even though Morneau and Nathan are coming back, both had bad injuries, and Adam Dunn in a hitter friendly park for the Sox spells all sorts of bad for anyone pitching to him. The toughest division to pick was the NL Central. Cards might surprise and reel off a high-90 win season, Cubs might not suck as bad as everyone says they will, Brewers made some solid acquisitions, and I don't feel as sure about the Reds.

It's been a long winter, almost there...

This is the only short period of the year where the Angels look like World Series contenders, then the offense shows up and it all goes to hell. Oh well...baseball is here again. Happy day!

They didn't have such a good start to 2002 either and look what happened then.

They didn't have such a good start to 2002 either and look what happened then.

Looking back at that roster, it's shocking that they were able to win the World Series. Sadly, there's no more truck-loads of steroids being delivered to the locker room anymore so I don't think we'll see a repeat of that.

The starting pitching is fantastic, and adding lefties Downs and Takahashi is really an upgrade over Scott Shields for middle relief but that's pretty much where the optimism ends.

They really didn't fix ANY of the offensive problems they had last year. They still don't have a high OBP guy to lead off and platooning Izturis, Wood & Callaspo at third is horrible. They made a panic trade for Wells, taking on a huge contract and thinning out an already weak bench (not to mention, if Pujols tests free agency I bet they would kill to have that $86 million not tied up on an aging, under-performing center fielder). Having Morales back will help, but they are still a small ball team without the right pieces to pull it off.

/\ If Pujols isn't a Cardinal next year I think he'll be a LAA. I don't think the Angels were serious about Carl Crawford, and seeing the deal he got with Boston, I'd sure as hell hope not if I were an Angels fan. I think the Angels were "in it" to get him so as long as no one threw that kind of money at him. Crawford wasn't really courted by anyone that intensely right until he signed. I think they were counting on either him falling into their laps for a reasonable price- but once that price went sky high (dollars and years) it was on to Plan B. This is why the Wells deal makes no sense at all. Toronto was doing backflips to get out from under that contract, I bet they would have given him away ala Rios to the Sox in 2009. Only reasoning I can see behind that is the Angels aren't entirely convinced Pujols leaves STL and don't want to be left completely out in the cold in free agency for a second straight year. I still think they go after him, and probably put the best offer out of any other team.

As far as performance enhancers and testing having an effect on the Angel's winning- I guess we'll see if Pujols comes out there next year. There is no way you could convince me that he's not a product of performance enhancers, specifically HGH, which is not tested for.

/\ If Pujols isn't a Cardinal next year I think he'll be a LAA. I don't think the Angels were serious about Carl Crawford, and seeing the deal he got with Boston, I'd sure as hell hope not if I were an Angels fan. I think the Angels were "in it" to get him so as long as no one threw that kind of money at him. Crawford wasn't really courted by anyone that intensely right until he signed. I think they were counting on either him falling into their laps for a reasonable price- but once that price went sky high (dollars and years) it was on to Plan B. This is why the Wells deal makes no sense at all. Toronto was doing backflips to get out from under that contract, I bet they would have given him away ala Rios to the Sox in 2009. Only reasoning I can see behind that is the Angels aren't entirely convinced Pujols leaves STL and don't want to be left completely out in the cold in free agency for a second straight year. I still think they go after him, and probably put the best offer out of any other team.

That was the problem - Arte made these grand proclamations that they were going to go out and spend whatever it takes to land a huge free agent. Then they got outbid for everyone they went after. That left them to either panic & make a move like they did or yet another year of hoping their pitching and prospects would deliver. I don't think they thought they could sell their fans on that (and judging by the drop in attendance last year, I don't blame them) so they rolled on Wells. It was a total short sighted move that will marginally improve them this year but do nothing for the long term.

I personally would be shocked if Pujols is caught using PEDs. I really admire him a s a player, he's probably the greatest in my lifetime so far.

Pujols getting caught is almost entirely contingent on MLB adopting a HGH testing policy, which the MLBPA doesn't want to agree to because at the moment that would entail blood samples. Less likely, but still plausible is a Jason Grimsley type scenario which led to the Mitchell report. People were also shocked (I can't tell you why) when A-Rod was caught. Pujols is smart- like Bonds was. His trainer went to prison rather than give him up.

There have already been whispers, albeit faint (two years ago IIRC), about Pujols.

Maybe the Angels can pull more fluffy bunnies from their hat and win another Series. But at least they're in far better shape than the Indians. As for Grimsley, he was a terrible player who couldn't stay out of trouble.

The "whispers" weren't just people saying "Oh man, this guy is good so he has to be cheating". That would be irresponsible.

They were more along the lines of "Oh man, this guy is good so he has to be cheating and his personal trainer since right around the time he was drafted was part of an affidavit on HGH distribution and was named by Jason Grimsley as one of his sources for the substance". That's a little (no, a lot) different...

Then

Then

vs.

Now

Now

The "whispers" concerning Roger Clemens, David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez, and Alex Rodriguez eventually got kind of loud. Then they turned out to be legitimate, and after all is said and done you have a bunch of dopers saying they took things by accident, something was mislabled, or my favorite, they took things, but only once (!).

I see that Ed Farmer has got his picks for the 2011 season, anybody got any?

American League

East

Boston Red Sox

Baltimore Orioles (I'm calling it!)

New York Yankees

Tampa Bay Rays

Toronto Blue Jays

Central

Chicago White Sox

Minnesota Twins

Detroit Tigers

Kansas City Royals