TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Major League Baseball Thread

PhishyBrewer

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pittsburgh is like the MLB winery. It has great scenery (PNC), players start there young, age a couple years, and then the rest of the league goes shopping there and toasts their fans with what they bought.

It's nice of their ownership and management to do that for the league.

^That was the best Pirate analogy i've heard in quite a long time.

Maybe they could hold the next NHL Winter Classic there. That way they'd have a winning team playing there.......briefly.

They have a winning team play there every year...... when the Cardinals come to town.

And every other team in the division.

The Pirates have a really nice ballpark.

Isn't it sad when this is the ONLY thing people have nice to say about the Pirates? Not even "oh, they have a bunch of young talent" - nope, just that PNC is nice.

McKechnie Field (spring training ballpark) is practically as old school as a ballpark could get these days.

Two compliments and both about their stadiums. Dohoho.

On the topic of baseball video games, I might be a sucker and pick up MLB 2K10 because Evan Longoria is on the cover.

• 1 month later...

I have a Baseball Ticket Question...

Me and the BF are going to Orlando in May and are looking to go see The Tampa Bay Rays Vs Boston Red Sox on 25th May. When we go on their website, there are no tickets on sale but we found tickets for sale on various other websites. Does anyone know if they are actually on sale? and if so, which sites are best to buy from?

Thanks!!

I have an analogy for the Pirates. It's like Nascar because all the fans go to sit, eat, and get drunk while their team runs around in circles.

On a serious note, I just wish the owner of the Pirates would just leave. He got several offers for the Pirates this off-season; one of which came from Mario Lemieux from the Penguins. I think it would have been epic for the Pirates if he bought them because he's a supportive figure in Pittsburgh and while he might not know too much about baseball, he knows how to run a team.

Sell the Pirates to Mario please, haha...

I have a Baseball Ticket Question...

Me and the BF are going to Orlando in May and are looking to go see The Tampa Bay Rays Vs Boston Red Sox on 25th May. When we go on their website, there are no tickets on sale but we found tickets for sale on various other websites. Does anyone know if they are actually on sale? and if so, which sites are best to buy from?

Thanks!!

Who are some of the others vendors selling the tickets? That might spur people to respond if they have experiecnce with the same vendors.

Did it say they were Sold Out on the Tampa Bay Rays wesbite, if not they might have not started selling single games tickets yet? Although he Red Sox/Rays will probably be a better selling game, you are probably safe waiting for the individual game tickets to go on sale on the Tampa Bay Rays website.

StubHub is a reputable vendor to pursue tickets through.

I have an analogy for the Pirates. It's like Nascar because all the fans go to sit, eat, and get drunk while their team runs around in circles.

On a serious note, I just wish the owner of the Pirates would just leave. He got several offers for the Pirates this off-season; one of which came from Mario Lemieux from the Penguins. I think it would have been epic for the Pirates if he bought them because he's a supportive figure in Pittsburgh and while he might not know too much about baseball, he knows how to run a team.

Sell the Pirates to Mario please, haha...

Mark Cuban really wanted to buy them, but there's no way the other owners would've approved it. Shame, because that guy loves to win.

I will say this though, they do have some nice young talent at the ML level and have a few prospects that are highly touted (Jose Tabata, Pedro Alvarez, Brad Lincoln, and Tim Alderson come to mind), so I could see them making a little push in a few years.

I will say this though, they do have some nice young talent at the ML level and have a few prospects that are highly touted (Jose Tabata, Pedro Alvarez, Brad Lincoln, and Tim Alderson come to mind), so I could see them making a little push in a few years.

That scenario seems about as likely as going back in time to trip up Sid Bream as he rounded third.

• 2 weeks later...

For any SF Giants fans out there it wasn't a pretty game but they won their first Cactus league game. Here's an article about how they did.

Giants 8, Mariners 7

Peoria, Ariz.

Wednesday, March 3

Giants at the plate: Pinch-hitter Jesus Guzman dumped a run-scoring single into left field in the 10th inning to put the Giants ahead to stay. First baseman Aubrey Huff capped a three-run first-inning uprising with a two-run home run in his first at-bat of Cactus League season. Fred Lewis delivered a run-scoring triple in the rally. Nate Schierholtz hit a run-scoring single in the third inning to give the Giants their second lead of the game. Shortstop Emmanuel Burriss scorched a two-run double to left field. Center fielder Aaron Rowand singled twice, scored two runs and drove in one.

Giants on the mound: Two-time National League Cy Young Award winner Tim Lincecum surrendered three runs in the first inning. An error and consecutive walks loaded the bases with none out. A sacrifice fly and two singles produced the runs. Lincecum faced eight batters in his one-inning stint. Left-hander Maddison Bumgarner tossed two scoreless innings in his debut, surrendering two singles.

It seems the Giants bats have improved a considerable amount this offseason. The pitching on the other hand needed a bit of work. I know it's only just practice now but I'm so excited for opening day!

• 2 weeks later...

^I don't think it would work out very well. First off, you couldn't change the divisions up very much because of the different time zones in the United States (i.e. you couldn't have a west coast team traveling across the country to play an east coast team 9 times per year and vice-versa). Perhaps, if they made minor changes that would just switch teams who were somewhat close to the other teams in the division it could work out. I think a better idea would be to reduce the number of times division teams match up per year, maybe from 18 to 10.

^ The owners are actually talking about a rotating type way of organizing the divisions. Where a team that is good enough to make the playoffs, but is in a strong division can be moved (like Tampa) to a weaker division to help their chances. Teams would only be allowed to move once every five years. It's in the early stages, but I think eventually they'll realign them again, without or without this type of setup.

I am one of those people who falls into the "don't change anything" category because baseball should be about baseball and nothing else. What I mean is that I never really believed in the DH, but I don't complain about it too much because I live in a National League city. Also, the somewhat new replay system slows the game down in my opinion, but the MLB organization is going to do what it's going to do. The only change I would ever consider them doing is having the post-season games played during a reasonable time, so we actually have a chance to watch them.

There's no need to complicate an already complicated sport.

I don't like the idea of rotating divisions. I would rather see some minor tweaking such as putting Houston in the AL West or putting Colorado in the AL West and moving Houston to the NL West. This would create six divisions with five teams each which I think would be more fair than the current alignment with six teams in the NL Central and only four in the AL West.