TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Major League Baseball Thread

PhishyBrewer

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^It doesn't matter. Sanchez was the only pitcher on the Giants "Starting" Rotation who was struggling. Lincecum has his eyes set on Cy Young #2, Johnson is doing amazing for being over 40(until he got injured), Cain is looking to have the best season of his career, Zito is starting to look like the Zito the Giants paid soo much money for, and the rookie Sadowski is looking alright. The only guy the Giants were unsure about and had to be demoted to the bullpen last week just pitched a No Hitter. I'm not sure about you but that spells trouble for the Dodgers.

Yeah I agree with you 100%. I was reading about the Final Vote stuff on MLB.com and they were talking about how Phillies fans "aren't afraid of stuffing the ballot box" and using that with a positive connotation. Then they went on talking about the "Bran Torino" Campaign and how offices starting issuing 15 min breaks every hour so they could allow the workers to vote for Gran Torino. Now I'm sorry but that is just crazy. Now I'm not saying to be biased against Victorino for winning because the Giants had promotions for Sandoval if you voted and I think the players should be given one vote for the Final Vote .

I remember when this started it was 5 votes per e-mail address. And you had to make the effort to go back to the starting page and watch some videos before voting again. Now they direct you back to the voting page with the same players you voted for marked.

Just remember the purpose of this. It is to get press and sell stuff. Like today, where I got an e-mail for a free trial to mlb.tv just for voting

I hate the Padres. They were pitched a No Hitter. They only get on base once off an error. They are 1-10 in July, and this morning in our newspaper they were asking how to get more fans to go to the games. Hey I know, WIN SOME GAMES! They are in last place in the NL West, and they are 20 games back. They really need to start getting better players also. They start getting these pretty good guys and then they trade them for A-ball players, or the oldest player on the face of the Earth, or the people that dominate the DL. Get it together Padres, and get rid of Kevin Towers, and Sandy Alderson.

The only guy the Giants were unsure about and had to be demoted to the bullpen last week just pitched a No Hitter.

Ever heard of Bud Smith or Clay Buckholz? Pitching a no hitter is great in the short term but not a long term indication of a pitcher's future...

The only guy the Giants were unsure about and had to be demoted to the bullpen last week just pitched a No Hitter.

Ever heard of Bud Smith or Clay Buckholz? Pitching a no hitter is great in the short term but not a long term indication of a pitcher's future...

Yeah I know that but at least us Giants fans and the rest of baseball know that Sanchez is capable of pitching a good outing instead of screwing up like he usually does.

^If you're talented enough to be in a major league rotation...you are capable of a "good outing." His 3-8 record (and 4.69 ERA) seems to indicate you won't be able to count on him every 5th day.

^Yes but your forgetting that he has been demoted 3 times this season. The last was two weeks ago and yesterday was his first start since. I'm not saying that because he pitched a no hitter means he will be moved to the top of the rotation or that we will be expecting him to do that every time he starts. I'm just saying that he is capable of more than screwing the Giants over, and he can actually do something good for the team.

Don't forget José Jiménez. He was the first player event to get sent down to the minors in a season after pitching a no hitter in 1999. The rest of the season he went 0-5 in 11 starts. He did not start another game until 2003.

Well, Clay Buchholz is still one the top Red Sox pitching prospects. The problem he ran into was that the staff wanted him to change his delivery (to relieve stress on his arm) and it caused his breaking pitches to flatten out. He has since returned to throwing the way he used to and has been absolutely dominating in AAA. In his case, the no-no is a sign of a bright future.

Jay "The Boss" Bruce fractured his glove wrist in the game tonight against the Mets. Given he's easily our best right-fielder, it'll be interesting to see how we bounce back. Hopefully' he won't be out for too long. We can't really afford to fall much farther behind in the NL Central...

His 3-8 record (and 4.69 ERA) seems to indicate you won't be able to count on him every 5th day.

This is not particularly the case. Look at the Detroit Tigers of last year. Justin Verlander was terrible last year but he was still the ace of the staff. Someones record is not always reflected on their performance. Say a pitcher has a flat 2.00 ERA, but the team can't get 3 runs, the pitcher still had a great day, but the team did not.

Now I don't know about Mr. Sanchez because he is in SF, in the NL, 2 reasons for me not to know him, but this sounds like the case.

^ Sanchez' WHIP is among the worst as far as the Giants pitchers go, he only has 3 quality starts out of 14... and I admit it may be too early to judge Buchholz, but I'll still wait to see if he can prove himself in the big leagues.

See how much I don't pay attention to the NL?

I did a little research and this guy seems like a better college player. The guy had 4 no-no's in college but has yet to produce in the majors.

Dear Blue Jays,

If you trade Halladay, say goodbye to whats left of your attendance. He is what's drawing in the crowds right now, and losing him would be one of the biggest mistakes you can make as a franchise.

Dear Doc,

We know you want to win, who doesn't? But you have a year left on your contract, so at least wait until then to start thinking about it. Give the Jays a chance; without you our dreams are nothing.

Dear MLB,

Will you instate a friggin salary cap already? Other major league sports have done it and are getting on just fine, why can't you do the same?

Dear MLB,

Will you instate a friggin salary cap already? Other major league sports have done it and are getting on just fine, why can't you do the same?

Because it would make the Yankee's have to draft talent instead of buying it. And we know that will never happen.

We have the luxury tax, but it does no good. The big market teams just ask who to make the check out to and move on.

Without a cap, I get why teams such as the Pirates, Marlins, Nationals, Royals and so on give up their best players. There is no way any of those teams can compete when the Marlin's entire payroll is less then the 2 highest paid players on most teams. Even with that, it is amazing to think the Marlins are not that bad.