TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Major League Baseball Thread

PhishyBrewer

Urgh....My Tigers lost, but my Cubs won....it was a neutral day for me in the Bigs...

Cubs are 6-4, Tigers 5-5. If the Tigers play again for the next two games against Seattle like they did tonight, you can hello to a Mariner friendly sweep

C'mon Detroit, we can do better then this...Bah....

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darn, right after the Giant finally win Tim Lincecum has his best outing of the season so far by striking out 13, giving up zero runs, and allowing 5 hits in 8 innings. But then the closer comes in and gives up a two-run double and screws the Giants over.

--Chris

Well Detroit's 8-7 and we lost 2 in Anaheim. Yes, I call them the ANAHEIM Angels, not the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

They shoudl've been called the Anaheim Angels in the first place, no stupid California Angels or LA Angels. Just the Anaheim Angels.

Well, we start a series against the Royales tonight....Here's to the best!

Orioles doing better than I expected, especially with Adam Eaton and Mark Hendrickson in the rotation. I can't wait until the young pitchers get up here, then we'll be ready to make some noise. We certainly have the offense to do so...

Give Adam Eaton time. He never fails to be a disappointment.

^ You know you suck as a pitcher when the team sends you to single A just to not be with the team. Plus the team still pays you 5 million that year while you are in single A. Eaton had an ERA of around 7 in single A the last half of the season. I will give him credit though, he did have the cahonas to show up at the Championship Ring ceremony. He had to have known the Phillies fans were going to boo him.

• 2 weeks later...

Manny, Manny, Manny, That Sucks!

The Dodgers as of this posting have the best record in baseball, this is going to hurt.

If the players know that they will be subjected to random drug tests, why take the chance. I'm sure Manny will try to come up with some BS excuse as to why he tested positive.

Manny reportedly got caught (I've heard he actually didn't test positive) using HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadatropin). It is a woman's fertility drug, but is widely used for ex-steroid users. It is used to basically kick-start the body's production of testosterone. When someone uses a regime of steroids, the drug takes control of the production of testosterone. Once you stop using steroids, your body has trouble producing testosterone, thus you would lose the lean muscle mass that you gained from the steroids.

So Manny didn't get caught with steroids, but this is definitely a smoking gun. As far as I have read, there really isn't any real medical use for men to use this drug. If the report is true, it is almost certain that he was a steroid user.

I feel bad for Manny...

He either really has issues "down there" and needed the drug for it's legitimate purpose, and now the whole world knows...

or...

He got caught trying to recover from steroid use.

Either way he loses.

I don't think he had a legitimate use for the drug. If he did, he would have seen the team physician, gotten permission from the team/MLB to use a banned substance for a real medical reason. Even if he failed to do that, if he got the prescription from a legitimate physician and for a legitimate medical condition, I'm sure MLB would have either given him a less extreme suspension or made sure to explain the reason why he was getting suspended. Also take into account the fact that he turned down the appeal, he really looks guilty.

The way it has played it, it just doesn't make any sense for this to have been for a legitimate medical condition.

I have absolutely no sympathy for Manny whatsoever.

In fact, the Dodgers should cut their losses now. I won't be watching the Dodgers until they release him.

If I'm going to bash Barry Bonds, and A-Roid and Palmeiro then I have to do the same for Manny even though he's on my team.

It's just Manny being Manny.

No surprise here. He's been a basket case since Day 1 - it was only a matter of time before he got caught. It's just too bad for the Dodgers. They took a chance, knowing they were getting Manny and all of his BS, and gave him a shot. The LA fans loved him, and the organization did all they could for him. Then he goes and does something stupid and gets caught. I mean, seriously, how can he be that much of an idiot to take a chance with a steroid, knowing the league is cracking down on its drug policy? Stupid, stupid, stupid. I will not be surprised when the Dodgers dump him, nor will I disagree with it.

Haha I laugh every time I think of ManRam now. Take that Dodgers, now since you don't have Manny you will slowly start to get worse and by the time he comes back the Dodgers will be too far behind and hopefully in the National League West cellar.

--Chris

I have absolutely no sympathy for Manny whatsoever.

In fact, the Dodgers should cut their losses now. I won't be watching the Dodgers until they release him.

If I'm going to bash Barry Bonds, and A-Roid and Palmeiro then I have to do the same for Manny even though he's on my team.

You do realize that it is very likely that just about everyone (especially the stars) in the 90s-2005 were using PEDs. Also, take into consideration that HGH is still almost undetectable. I would not be surprised if Ortiz, Longoria, Fielder, Dunn, or even Pujols have taken steroids or HGH. Heck, players have been using "greenies" since the 60s. Willie Mays has been accused of using "greenies", supposedly he kept a bottle of "Red Juice" in his locker. From the very beginning Pitcher have been trying to gain an edge on hitters by altering the ball. It's a part of professional sports. Why do you think there are so many damned rules that get added year after year?

Now, that said, I don't have sympathy for them, but I'm not the type of fan that just wants to crucify them. It is what it is. Professional athletes will always do anything to try to gain an edge. If they didn't, they likely wouldn't make it pro. That being said, it doesn't mean they have to take banned substances, but it certainly is understandable. If they could get away with it (and many can), many would.

I don't think releasing Manny would be a good move. You have to believe that he will still be productive when he returns. The Dodgers should only be concerned with fielding the best possible team, not pleasing all these fans that want sports "pure". The Dodgers are a MUCH better team with Manny. Let him play out his contract.

^ I see your point, but for me it's more like this:

My Son LOVES baseball, and I'm teaching him to play the game. How do I, as a father, in good conscience sit here, watch Dodger games trying to explain to him what happened with Manny. And then how do I come back on July 3rd and start rooting for a guy, who for all intents and purposes, cheated. The answer, I can't.

I'm not the type of parent to sit here and tell my son to not do drugs and play to the best of your ability, with the talent you are given and then praise a guy that's broken all the rules.

Plus, as a Dodger fan, I've spent the last 5+ years sitting here calling Barry Bonds a cheater for doing the same thing. Actually NOT the same thing because as far as I know, Barry never tested positive for anything when it was a banned substance.

So for all the Dodger fans out there that have proudly called Bonds a cheater, and bought the "Bonds Cheater" shirt, how can you sit here and defend Manny. If your doing that, your a hypocrite. If I'm going to wear my "Bonds Cheater" with the Giants colors on it, then I have to be willing recognize that somebody might want to wear a "Manny Cheater" shirt with the Dodgers colors.

No shock on the news front. If these players took stuff that grew tails on them, people will still watch.

Personally I've moved past the hated of anyone doing roids. Yeah, they cheat, but almost any player does whatever they can. NFL players have been involved in the deaths of people, yet they continue to play. Sports stars of all sports get DUI's, you I don't see them getting suspended for 50 games on something that can hurt others. If they want to kill there bodies for a few extra bucks, they will.

Now onto a lighter subject, I present the Washington Nationals pitching staff.