TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Major League Baseball Thread

PhishyBrewer

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great how the ALWC was lost in a late inning tie game by a pitcher other than the team's knockout closer (Britton), while the NLWC was also lost in a late inning tie game, but by that team's knockout closer (Familia).

Also glad that the Jays and Giants came through. Blue Jays/Rangers will be epic after everything that has gone on between these two teams, and honestly, I couldn't see the Mets doing anything but getting swept by the Cubs with the current state of their roster had they gone on, despite managing to grab a Wild Card spot.

I love that the Giants appear to be frigging robots in October during even years. I'll be thrilled with whoever wins it all this year (even if it's the Red Sox) as long as San Francisco can keep that magic going for at least one more round. For the next 3-5 games, they'll be my favorite team in the world.

I can't bring myself to care about the rest of this postseason (damn you, Jeurys Familia), but my prediction for the World Series is Indians-Dodgers. But really, my one rallying cry is "Anyone but the Cubs 2016."

Why is there so much hate for the giants?

Same reason everybody (who has a soul) hates the Yankees... Nobody likes a frequent winner, if it's not their team. More specifically for me though, I feel they just get extremely lucky/hot at the right time, and aren't really the best team in Baseball ANY of the years they've won recently. Great for them and their fans, but annoying if you're not a fan, and also like to see variance in Champions, if your team isn't going to win it all (and my favorite team, the Mariners, never will, so I'm left rooting for the best of the rest! )

Awesome win by the Blue Jays yesterday, laying the smack-down on the stRangers, and their Ace Cole Hamels! These guys are for real, and the rest of the AL teams should be worried!

Here is my ranking (because as I mentioned elsewhere, I LOVE ranking things! ) of my order of preferred Champions...

1. Blue Jays

2. Nationals

3. Indians

4. Cubs

5. Rangers

6. Dodgers

7. Cancelled World Series

8. Red Sux and Giants

There's quite a bit of luck involved. All the Major League teams are very good. The differences between them are actually pretty slight. One error can make difference between winning and losing. A pitch being an inch off can be the difference between a strikeout and a home run. Choosing to throw a fastball instead of an off speed pitch can mean throwing out that runner trying to steal.

Just last year, the Cardinals were the best team in baseball, and we were ousted by the Wild Card Cubs. Both time this century when we've won the World Series, it's been as the Wild Card team, and in '11 we made it in on the last game of the season. It seems like we do much better when we fight to the end of the season for it than when we clench it early. I don't analyze other teams as closely, obviously, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that this phenomenon holds true.

What certainly holds true, is that there is no benefit to sweeping a team, and getting an extended rest before the World Series! Both of their last WS appearances, the Tigers were the better team going in, and had just bombed their ALCS opponent, only to have to wait longer than they had at any point during the regular season to play their WS opponent, and then they were very obviously (to those of us who had watched them day in and day out all season) WAY out of sync, and both times faced a team coming off of an emotional high of a 7 game NLCS win. Momentum is everything in Baseball, and being too good for your own good, like the Tigers were in '06 and '12, actually hurt them come the World Series.

^Not if Kiki Hernandez remains the Madison Bumgarner killer...

I honestly hate making predictions so soon, because one key injury and a blockbuster trade can alter a teams fortunes rather quickly. Example: D-backs bolster rotation and look a lot better on paper, then lose AJ Pollack to injury.

Based on opening day:

NL West: Dodgers (have to pick them)

NL Central: Cubs

NL East: Nationals

NL Wild Card: Giants & Mets in play in game w/ Mets winning (can't pick the Giants)

AL West: Astros

AL Central: Royals

AL East: O's

AL Wild Card: Jays & Rangers in play game w/ Jays winning

Unrelated: I could have nailed a pretty big parlay bet on the NL just picking playoff participants...

So I know had a bold prediction with the sweep. But that was a good game. That umpire behind the plate was horrible, he missed so many calls on both team. And the first base ump ringing up Nunez on that check swing in that crucial part of the game was a joke, not even close to a swing. And I officaly hate that basket on the outfield wall, he hit a bomb off the bat, but the wind help and that ball was falling into pegans glove. Also giants base running killed them. I don't know maybe I'm just a bitter giants fan. Cubs brought it.

So far, this postseason has set up precisely the way I've wanted it to! Now, the Cubs and Nats just have to finish it! No mainstream, been there, seen that, yawn inducing teams going forward, please! (Cubs are excepted from that descriptor, because they're almost a humanitarian case at this point! )

I still don't care about the American League as long as they refuse to play real baseball, but I think a Nats/Jays series would be really cool. It would be a sort of reprise of the all-Canadian World Series we almost had in '94. I still think the Cubs are unstoppable, but as a Cardinals fan, I would love to see them ousted from the playoffs.

I still don't care about the American League as long as they refuse to play real baseball, but I think a Nats/Jays series would be really cool.

People are still complaining about this DH thing? It's been like 50 years. Anyway I just wanted to pop in and say that I was actually a little sad watching David Ortiz go out in such mundane fashion. I've always hated the Red Sox but I've always liked him and he seems like a class act.

No, I'm not complaining. That's dumb. My team is in the National League, so I am definitely going to talk sh*t about the other league. And let's face it, the DH is literally the only difference between them.

Agreed on Big Papi. He played with enthusiasm and energy like I've rarely seen. A better career could not have happened to a better person. But hey, at least the Red Sox made the playoffs his last year.

I'd love to live in a world where the DH is sent back to the hell from whence it came. Unfortunately however, with interleague play now being all year, it's only a matter of time until the NL adopts the stupid "position" as well.

I, for one, look forward to the day the NL gets the DH, and stops wasting the time of the fans who want to see something better than an almost-automatic out in the lineup! I've been a die-hard Baseball Fan since the early 90's, so I'm no Sping-chicken to the game, either. I just think the "Baseball Purists" have frequently held the betterment of the game back in the name of "tradition", and I am always pleased when another sacred cow falls. Now, if can just replace the Home Plate Ump with a fail-proof computer, we'll be all set...

Regarding the Playoffs, three of the four series have now gone the way I wanted, the two AL series in emphatic fashion! It's up to the Nationals to make it four for four with a win against the Dodgers, though regardless, that was the series I least cared about which team won anyway. I'm definitely digging the Playoffs this year!