TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Major League Baseball Thread

PhishyBrewer

It's interesting that the Nationals aren't even mentioned here. They've been a strong team for several years; their problem has been mainly in stamina--they go strong through August, then implode after that. I've seen plenty of teams do that, and don't count them out.

So here are my nearly pointless predictions for this year (WAY too many variables to have any degree of accuracy):

The Correct League:

West - LA Dodgers

Central - Chicago Cubs, St. Louis Cardinals (WC), Pittsburgh Pirates (WC)

East - Washington Nationals

Cardinals over Pirates in the play in, Dodgers over Cubs and Cardinals over Nationals in the DS, Cardinals over Dodgers in the CS

The League of Wimpy Pitchers:

West - Texas Rangers, Houston Astros (WC)

Central - Kansas City Royals

East - Toronto Blue Jays, New York Yankees (WC)

Astros over Yankees in the play in, Royals over Astros and Blue Jays over Rangers in the DS, Royals over Blue Jays in the CS

RETURN OF THE I-70 SERIES!!!!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Coaster Loving Baseball Fans!

I have run a Fantasy Baseball league for years, and it was a Keeper/Dynasty league. However, I took a year off from it last year, and we are re-booting it this season, with a complete Re-Draft. Most of the members are returning, however a couple are not. So I am looking to fill our final spot, ASAP! Yes, I was slow in getting it off the ground this year, and didn't get it done before the season started. The Draft is going to be tonight though, at 9:15, through ESPN. It will be a Keeper League again, going forward. H2H scoring.

If you enjoy Fantasy Baseball, or have ever wanted to give it a try, let me know ASAP, and message me your e-mail address. Or, if you have questions, you can feel free to ask me. I am just looking to fill this vacancy quickly, so the Draft can go off without a hitch tonight. Let me know if you're interested!

^Not if Kiki Hernandez remains the Madison Bumgarner killer...

I honestly hate making predictions so soon, because one key injury and a blockbuster trade can alter a teams fortunes rather quickly. Example: D-backs bolster rotation and look a lot better on paper, then lose AJ Pollack to injury.

Based on opening day:

NL West: Dodgers (have to pick them)

NL Central: Cubs

NL East: Nationals

NL Wild Card: Giants & Mets in play in game w/ Mets winning (can't pick the Giants)

AL West: Astros

AL Central: Royals

AL East: O's

AL Wild Card: Jays & Rangers in play game w/ Jays winning

Edited by Jew

• 2 months later...

Them Giants though. I would take giants giants 1,2 punch of Bumgarner and Cueto over any in the league. you can argue Arrieta and Lester. but Lester is no Cueto. and this season Bumgarner is pitching better than Arrieta. On a side note they should let Bumgarner and Arrieta in the Homerun Durby.

• 2 months later...

The Red Sox just clinched their 3rd division title in 10 years!

Last year they finished in DEAD last place.........This year the division title!

That's an amazing accomplishment for any team. This is David Ortiz final season, perhaps it will be his greatest accomplishment!

Bring on the post season.......and no doubt the Cub's!

Red Sox have been playing good ball as of late, they are probably the hottest team heading into the postseason. Being a Reds fan and having to endure a rough season, I spent most of it cheering against teams. Pirates aren't going to the post season, we are trying to spoil the Cards post season hopes, a win tonight will give them 3 out of 4 in St. Louis, where shockingly the Cards have been horrible this year. As for the Cubs, they are going to be tough, I thought maybe the Nationals could give them fits, but without Strasburg I'm not sure if they have enough to challenge them for an entire series. The Giants have been so up and down this year, but can be very dangerous in the playoffs with their starting rotation. But in order to be dangerous in the playoffs, you need to make it to the playoffs, and the Giants last 3 games are against the Dodgers, could be a tough way to close out the season.

Giants are catching fire at the right time. I believe giants pitchers are the only ones who can give the cubs a fight. With bumgarner and his playoff credintals leading the way, followed by Cueto, Samardzija and even moore all playing excellent baseball right now. If they can get past Mets in the WC game and make it to the cubs it's going to be a fun series and not one to miss.

Giants are catching fire at the right time. I believe giants pitchers are the only ones who can give the cubs a fight. With bumgarner and his playoff credintals leading the way, followed by Cueto, Samardzija and even moore all playing excellent baseball right now. If they can get past Mets in the WC game and make it to the cubs it's going to be a fun series and not one to miss.

I wouldn't call the Dodgers inability to hit lefties and starters/bullpen in cruise control the Giants getting hot at the right time.

If that's your definition of hot the Mets are just as hot coming into the wild card playoff game.

I wouldn't call the Dodgers inability to hit lefties and starters/bullpen in cruise control the Giants getting hot at the right time.

If that's your definition of hot the Mets are just as hot coming into the wild card playoff game.

Ahhh, your just a giants hater as much as I hate the dodgers, but yku Can't Blame these losses on your pitchers and say there in cruise controll. We got to the Dodgers starting pitchers. We knocked out hill, Kershaw and madea, before your bullpen came in. The dodgers never want to loose to the giants and definitely don't want to see them in the post season. So you can't say they didn't go out there and try and give it there best.

I'm just saying the giants are coming alive at the right. So even if the Dodgers where not trying, a few series ago the giants count not get a hit off of my grandmother if she was pitching to giants. And our starting pitchers look to be pretty locked in. Not saying the Mets don't look good, it's just after Thor there starting rotation looks pretty shaky for a post season run. We know the cubs are going to bring it every game and dont think the Mets rotation can handle them. .

I'm cautiously optimistic about the Mets. If they can beat San Francisco, I have a feeling they would play a competive series against Chicago. They won the season series against the Cubs this year, including a sweep in New York. After Syndergaard and Colon the starting pitching is suspect, but they have a great bullpen. If the offense can stay hot, they can be the dark horse in the NL.

^^The Mets actually had a better record over the last 10 games if you want to talk about being hot at the right time.

No one ever wants to lose, but Dave Roberts was definitely managing that game with the post season in mind instead of the W that series. The Giants beat up on Maeda (who was given an extra start to qualify for an extra $1.5 million bonus), but only 2ER were credited to Hill and Kershaw, who were pulled with low pitch counts to rest for the playoffs...not "knocked out." The only person in the bullpen that the Giants hit who will make the postseason roster was Joe Blanton, the rest were clearly thrown out there to see what they got (and outside of McCarthy, shut the Giants down) for a potential post season spot.

Beat the Mets and win the division series, then you can see the Giants are hot vs. playing a team that can't hit lefties and already qualified for the playoffs.

So the Cardinals' season is done, and we miss the playoffs after making it 5 times in a row (with two WS appearances). If I'm going to be honest, they didn't play like a championship team. Too many games given away by errors, and no way to score other than the home run. It's been a frustrating year.

^^The Mets actually had a better record over the last 10 games if you want to talk about being hot at the right time.

No one ever wants to lose, but Dave Roberts was definitely managing that game with the post season in mind instead of the W that series. The Giants beat up on Maeda (who was given an extra start to qualify for an extra $1.5 million bonus), but only 2ER were credited to Hill and Kershaw, who were pulled with low pitch counts to rest for the playoffs...not "knocked out." The only person in the bullpen that the Giants hit who will make the postseason roster was Joe Blanton, the rest were clearly thrown out there to see what they got (and outside of McCarthy, shut the Giants down) for a potential post season spot.

Beat the Mets and win the division series, then you can see the Giants are hot vs. playing a team that can't hit lefties and already qualified for the playoffs.

We shall see.

I'm hoping for a Blue Jays vs. Nationals World Series, but if I had to pick what I think is more likely, I'll go with Indians vs. Nationals. I know everybody is going to be predicting Red Sox vs. Cubs, but rarely do I ever side with the cliche picks. Here's hoping for a completely different, and unique WS this year for a change! (In other words, stay the F*** away Giants! )

I'm hoping for a Blue Jays vs. Nationals World Series, but if I had to pick what I think is more likely, I'll go with Indians vs. Nationals. I know everybody is going to be predicting Red Sox vs. Cubs, but rarely do I ever side with the cliche picks. Here's hoping for a completely different, and unique WS this year for a change! (In other words, stay the F*** away Giants! )

To many giants bashers on this site. I feel like I am the only giants fan on here....never doubt the heart of a champion. 3 time in 6 year type of champion at that

As much as I hate the Dodgers, I have to agree with you. There focus was on checking out players and keeping their starters ready for the playoffs. They had nothing to gain from going all out.

Great game played in the Battle of the Birds tonight, and what a fantastic ending! (Particularly if you're a Jays fan like me! ) Bring on the Rangers! Here's hoping for a Blue Jays vs. Indians ALCS, and I'll be pulling for yet another Wild Card to be in the World Series (as much as I hate the notion in principle!)

Best closer in baseball sitting in your bullpen, and you go with Ubaldo Jimenez and his +5 ERA? What are you doing, Showalter?

Hope Terry Collins doesn't make similar mistakes tonight. He's usually good for a couple of head scratching decisions.