TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Major League Baseball Thread

PhishyBrewer

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

This year's First-Ballot Hall of Famers: Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Frank Thomas. All three are very deserving of the first ballot entry IMO. I'm grateful to live in a city that made it easy for me to catch many of Thomas' and Maddux' games right from the ballpark (even though Maddux was in his second stint on the Northside, and past his prime at that point).

The Hall of Fame vote is such a joke now. Keith Olbermann rightfully ripped them a new one for voting in the managers whose success can at least be partially attributed to players accused of (or admitted to) using steroids, yet they won't vote for those players themselves...

What's Tony LaRussa's career look like without Canseco and McGwire? Torre without Clemens, Pettite, Giambi, and A-rod? Even Bobby Cox had David Justice and Garry Sheffield to help him.

^Yep!! Despite all that, it's "wrong" to let Pete Rose in. The Hall is a joke. As a lifelong Cubs fan, I felt the same way about Ron Santo getting in. If he wasn't good enough to get voted in a whole bunch of times when he is alive, then why all of a sudden is he good enough after he dies? That's stupid.

I'd like to know which person it was that submitted a vote for Jacques Jones. He got a single vote. JACQUE JONES!? REALLY!?!?

I love the fact that Dan Le Batard turned the vote over to Deadspin who then turned it over to the fans. Sure one vote means very little but it was a great way of sticking it to Major League Baseball. The amazing thing is that the fan vote was actually a pretty good ballot.

On the deadspin matter, does any one on TPR know someone with a vote? Haha, we can have TPR submit one!

In all reality, I'm surprised they havent given him the Pete Rose treatment. They only banned him for a year, but I think that somehow good will come out of this in terms of changes to the way the votes are done. How can someone who hasn't covered baseball in 10+ years have a vote, buty Vin Scully doesn't?

The other idea i've heard be thrown around is that all current HOFers get a vote as well. Similar to Heisman in that matter.

Yea, I should have been clearer. His vote was removed for life, but He's only suspended from the actual organization for 1 year. Thus, he can't attend any game using Press Credentials. By the Pete Rose treatment, I'm surprised he wasn't suspended for life.

• 2 months later...

I'm a Mets fan, and since I live about an hour away, I went down to Port St. Lucie this past weekend to catch some spring training action. Definitely one of the huge perks to living in FL! Hoping for about a .500 record for the Metropolitans this year. I absolutely love watching Spring Training. There's something about it that just makes it fun. (The fact that the Mets won didn't hurt either)

I find it weird that the Dodgers and Diamondbacks went down to Australia to open the season a week before it opens here.

This post made me realize that my Fantasy Baseball teams have already started.

Thought I had until this weekend to set my lineups. I blame Australia.

• 2 weeks later...