TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Major League Baseball Thread

PhishyBrewer

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fine with all of those postseason awards.

Trout is great, had a tremendous season and yes, MAY have had a better "all around" season than Cabrera. But as a baseball traditionalist I feel that Cabrera was the "most valuable player" who contributed to his team and allowed them to get into the playoffs and eventually get their ass kicked in the World Series.

The Angels, with the season that Trout had, should have dominated that division but they didn't. His contributions, while great didn't propel his team.

Trout is going to be a hell of a lot of fun to watch for the next decade or so though.

I'm fine with all of those postseason awards.

Trout is great, had a tremendous season and yes, MAY have had a better "all around" season than Cabrera. But as a baseball traditionalist I feel that Cabrera was the "most valuable player" who contributed to his team and allowed them to get into the playoffs and eventually get their A$$ kicked in the World Series.

I approve of that statement!

The big trade between the Marlins and Blue Jays was approved yesterday. Part of me is mad that Miami fans may have to deal with the same things that Expos fans had to deal with (in addition to their taxpayer-funded stadium), but I'm excited for the AL East next season because there's going to be so many good games. Just imagine the Blue Jays not finishing 81-81.

I'm satisfied with David Price winning the Cy Young and seeing some Detroit journalists vote for Price over Verlander, as well as seeing a 1st place vote for Fernando Rodney from a journalist in Texas.

Well well, Torii Hunter has joined the Tigers for a two year 26 million dollar contract. Which, should in fact strengthen the hitting and defensive play we have in the outfield making it harder for balls to pass by. I really hope that Boesch still sees some level of play, he's not a bad right-fielder, either. He has some issues to work on, but, for his sake I hope he sees play even if he's used a back-up for Hunter.

Harper, as much as I hate to say it, will end up a Yankee.

Think A-Rod.

That makes me sad.

Trout, no clue. Seems like a Ranger to me. Time will tell.

They've each played ONE season, and you're already shipping them to NY? Chill.

And can't you pretty much say that about everyone worth a dime in this league anyway? Hell, I had a pretty good week at work....I'm sure the Yanks are on the phone with my agent too.

• 4 months later...

^ not saying it was easy, just sayaing not as impressive, take Bumgarner last night 8 inning, 6k, 0BB of no run ball, only gave up one more hit that darvish, Against those DOODGERS with all that meat that have. Or Kershaw, A Complete game shut out only giving up 4 hits against the Defending Champs. all Very impressive pitching performances. and as amazing as a performance Matt Cains perfecto was last season, it was still against the Astros. just my opinion.

Only 23 pitchers have tossed perfect games in Major League history..............23. If you come within one pitch of that mark, I'd have to give that performance the nod. And let's be honest, that one pitch yielded a ground ball....unfortunately to one of the gaps. The others were impressive too, but be it the Astros or not, Yu was one pitch from history. None of the others were that close to having their uniform, glove, or final out ball retired to Cooperstown.

^ I don't put any emphasis on strength of rosters when it comes to near-perfection....especially less than a week into the season. Again, if it was so simple to do, then the doormats of the league would be yielding perfect games and no-hitters on a much more frequent basis. Yes, both outings were tremendous, however; the "but it was against the _______" argument never carries much weight with me on this topic.

^ Bumgarner only gave up 2 hits..Against the Dodgers, 1 more than yu. way more impressive in my book. we all have our own opinions.

And being from nor*cal, and obviously a Giants fan, your opinion is biased on them.

I don't care who it's against, anytime anyone gets that close to a no-no, it's impressive. Even the worst rosters still have guys that can hit, and guys that do not want to be no hit.

Yeah, the Astros are bad ... REALLY bad. But a perfect game or a near perfect game is special. Much more special than a 2 hitter. Sorry.

I think the bigger question is, with so many recent no hitters and perfect or near perfect games ... just how long were these hitters on the juice? It's pretty obvious it was much more widespread than we thought. LOL

So glad Kershaw is pitching when we go to the Dodger game on Saturday. I'm interested to see what Greinke does tomorrow night.

Speaking of going to live games, has anybody ever used ScoreBig? It kind of looks like a Priceline for tickets. Interesting concept. I'm thinking of trying them out soon just to see. There is an Amazon Local deal going on that gives you $30 to spend on the site for just $7. I figure for $7 it's worth seeing if it's actually something that works.

https://www.scorebig.com/

I think the bigger question is, with so many recent no hitters and perfect or near perfect games ... just how long were these hitters on the juice? It's pretty obvious it was much more widespread than we thought. LOL

Yeah, but in that "era," I still think there were just as many pitchers on the juice as there were hitters, so it sort of leveled out. I'll agree though that the overabundance of juice at the plate definitely benefited the power hitters who could be patient enough to jump all over a fastball or hanging curve. When you've now got several guys surrounding your clean up hitter who are all of a sudden just as capable of going yard, it provides a lot more protection in the lineup, and thus makes it tougher for a starting pitcher to get through that portion of the lineup untouched.....which ultimately meant not as many no-hitters or perfect game opportunities.

Coupled with the tougher steroid rules, now I think we're also seeing more pitchers learn how to pitch rather than just throw hard. There just seems to be many more guys with bigger pitch repertoires than in the past, which may contribute to overall lower batting averages across the board and a greater chance at no-hitters.

I'm thinking and typing in a hurry, so I hope that made some sense.

^ Bumgarner only gave up 2 hits..Against the Dodgers, 1 more than yu. way more impressive in my book. we all have our own opinions.

And being from nor*cal, and obviously a Giants fan, your opinion is biased on them.

I don't care who it's against, anytime anyone gets that close to a no-no, it's impressive. Even the worst rosters still have guys that can hit, and guys that do not want to be no hit.

none bias here, I even stated that I thought Kershaw, and Hernandez's, not just bumgarners performances where more spectacular than yu's, I also stated that I dont think matt cains perfecto was that impressive off the Astros last season was very Impressive. Dont get me wrong its an amazing thing, but i just put more weight on the quality of hitters. We all have our own onions and its a never ending argument, but I guarantee Yu wont be the only one to get that close against the astros.

Coupled with the tougher steroid rules, now I think we're also seeing more pitchers learn how to pitch rather than just throw hard. There just seems to be many more guys with bigger pitch repertoires than in the past, which may contribute to overall lower batting averages across the board and a greater chance at no-hitters.

THIS.

The best pitchers have a great fastball and ridiculous secondary pitch.