TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Major League Baseball Thread

PhishyBrewer

I don't know. They were ballsy (stupid) enough to sit him down the important stretch run. I just can't give them credit for being intelligent enough to insert him at this point. And I'm not educated enough on the topic, but would it be possibly even more detrimental to have him throw at game speed now that he has been sitting for a while?

In other words, who knows? I just think they deserve to lose on principle alone.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine that he's just been sitting on his ass for the last month. I'm sure he's been working out and it hasn't been THAT long.

But you are right, I just don't think they are going to change their mind now to save face, even if it happens to cost them a Championship. Which is sad.

Interestingly enough, has Strasburg said how he feels about this whole thing?

The thing about Strasburg is that sitting him will actually probably hurt him more in the long run. Throwing a baseball is one of the most un-natural/violent motions you can make with your body, so building tolerance and endurance is key. In general, young pitchers are getting hurt more because they are throwing harder without building endurance, since they are on a pitch count from little league on up to their first few years in the majors.

Would love to see even one Yankees fan admit that the Orioles were a tough opponent and give them some credit, but that will never happen.

I was sad that the O's lost on Friday, of course, but the Yankee pitching was just too good for them that day. I still had the most fun watching the O's this year than any other year since I moved to Baltimore. Will be interesting to see what happens next year.

And now my interest in baseball ends until next April...

dt

Am I the only one who thinks that the Champagne and beer shower celebration by St. Louis (or any team) after only winning the divisional series was ridiculous? Celebrate clinching a playoff spot, celebrate winning the world series, that's it. Heck, St. Louis had a celebration after they one the 1 game wild card play in, lame.

^ Couldn't agree more. You don't see this in ANY other sport.

Could you imagine NBA teams popping Champagne after each series win? In Hockey? In the NFL Wild Card/Divisional Playoffs?

I don't have an issue with the conference championships, NL/AL Champs, etc ... but after each round? Ridiculous.

If the Cardinals end up winning the World Series they could end up doing the Champagne thing 5 times (clinching wild card, wild card 1-game playoff win, divisional series win, NL Champs and World Series). Ridiculous.

I know I agreed with both of you on FB, but I'll do it again here. The champagne stuff is getting stupid. Period.

On top of that, it always kind of irks me how it remains the only sport where teams openly celebrate in front of each other without any congratulatory handshakes. Granted, it doesn't have to be a hockey-style lineup, but even the NBA and NFL teams somewhat mingle and congratulate each other following a championship victory these days. Why not baseball?

That's a good point, I've never really noticed it but they don't have any sort of formal hand shake post game. In the NFL it has gotten to be pretty un-eventful but at least the head coaches still make an effort to shake hands at mid-field. Sometimes they don't make it sometimes they try to fight, but they always make an effort at least.

I think it is because of the four major sports, MLB is probably the one the requires the smallest amount of "team effort." The other sports actually require whole units to play well together at the same time to achieve success, where as aside from the pitcher and catcher, baseball is much more about everyones individual efforts collectively coming together for the win. So there's less respect.

I was at ALCS Game Three last night - o' what a night THAT was. I managed to get a beer shower in the 5th inning which lead to an honest to god hilarious exchange afterwards. I posted about it on Facebook, but, will repost it here if people ask enough for it. We won 2-1 - I wouldn't exchange the memories I made last night for anything in the world. It was truly an amazing and awesome time for my dad and myself.

This version of the Yankees are done. firesale on overpaid veterans to commence in T-minus....

Side note: that terrifies me, since I am sure the Dodgers will bite on someone the Yankees are trying to dump...